cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideouts Work Sometimes don't Work

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm camping with a friend who owns a 2004 Adventurer 38R (Class A Motorhome) that has a hydraulic bedroom slide and an electric living room slide. When she departed from her destination yesterday, the slides retracted normally. She drove about 3 hours and when she arrived yesterday, both slides wouldn't go out. The engine was running and the parking brake was engaged. The dash radio and phone USB port wouldn't work either. Today, Took the RV to have the two 6 volt house batteries checked by an auto mechanic and they were fine. The slides wouldn't work at his shop. After she drove back to the RV park, the slides went out with no issues. The radio also started to work again along with the phone USB port. I had noticed yesterday that there was a lot of corrosion on the battery brackets and they were a little loose when I looked at the battery.

What could be causing this intermittent problem? Could there be a loose wire/ground that is causing this and where would it be located?
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
11 REPLIES 11

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
David, you provided some good info that makes sense. Weโ€™re both all set up at a campground here until 1/14 and the slides are out. Weโ€™ll check out the leveler light when she leaves. We did look at the manual. Redlands RV is checking it out when she gets to Quartzsite, AZ. Weโ€™ll keep you posted. Thanks again for the ideas for troubleshooting.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
How about letting us know what the repair shop says, it might be interesting to find.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say I have read the Operators Manual for the 2004 Adventurers and according to the manual both slides are hydraulic. The manual says that the manual parking brake must be set, then turn the ignition to the accessory position, turn on the leveling system first, then the extension system will work.

An easy check to determine if the ignition switch is working is to note if the power on light on the leveling system is lit. If it does not come on start looking first at the chassis battery then the ignition switch output.

If the leveling system light comes on it's else where and there are trouble shooting suggestions in the manual.

After rereading your original post and the manual, I would say that there is a problem with the accessory part of the ignition system. It could be the ignition switch, it could be the interlock in the brake system or the leveling system panel it could be a loose wire but it is not too likely the battery. It is a great idea to maintain batteries and hers seem to need maintenance but that is not likely her problem.

Now how did you determine that the living room slide is electrical? The hydraulic system is powered by a motor but the slide has hydraulic rams for extending and retracting. If the system has been modified, then all bets are off as to the cause.

By the way, here is a link to the manual, pages 2-17 and 2-23 or the pages to look at.

Manual
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thank you for the ideas. The batteries have been maintained and checked as previously posted. I don't think that the switch is the issue because the radio and USB port also didn't work. My friend has made an appointment with a repair shop to get this checked along with another issue.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:
Pop the slide switch/switches out and check them with a meter for continuity.
Could very likely be the switch is wearing out.
With your meter check for voltage at a wire. You could then just jumper the wires and see if that works. Start with the simple stuff first.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
What D E says.

Then if it has manual switch for the slides, I would cycle the hey out of it and see what happens. Good time to exercise the switch would be when the batt cables e off for service. :h

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Lakejumper wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Interesting about the ignition...wouldn't that also affect the starting?.

No, different set of contacts internally in the switch. When the slides start to act up, try cycling the ignition switch off and on a couple of times to see if that fixes the problem. If so, then you need a new ignition switch.

The room extension and the levelers work independent of the ignition. I can extend and retract and level with out the ignition switch turned on. The op should perform a complete battery maintenance before he wastes any money or time.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Lakejumper wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Interesting about the ignition...wouldn't that also affect the starting?.

No, different set of contacts internally in the switch. When the slides start to act up, try cycling the ignition switch off and on a couple of times to see if that fixes the problem. If so, then you need a new ignition switch.

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Interesting about the ignition...wouldn't that also affect the starting? We tried the battery boost switch to get the slides out and it didn't make any difference when the slides first wouldn't extend. The battery posts are all clean with tight connection. It's the battery brackets that have the corrosion on them. I did clean it off.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned corrosion and loose battery connections/terminals. If that is on the chassis battery, it is most likely the problem. The slides are generally operated of the chassis battery, (dash radio/usb port) can be operated off either battery system depending on the position of the radio power switch. The corrosion and loose terminals can prevent enough power from getting through.

I have a friend who was told she needed a battery replacement in a Honda Accord. The car would suddenly shut off while driving and the radio wouldn't work for days, sometimes even a boost wouldn't start it. I cleaned the battery terminals and the inside of the battery cable connections, no problems now for a couple of months and using the same battery.

While cleaning the chassis battery connections, also check the coach battery connections, they may have been neglected too.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the ignition switch is worn and not making good contact.