cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small recessed light fixture problems.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 fifth wheel that has numerous recessed light fixtures. These are small (about 3 inches in diameter) and about four of them quit working at different times. I have taken it to the dealer numerous times and all is well until the next use. These fixtures take a small clear bulb with two straight pins and plug into the fixture. The bulb is fine. Sometimes it only takes a giggle of the bulb but now I have two that won't work at all. We are 1400 miles from home and thought one of you might have a tip for me. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to replace the hot halogens with LED's, but found that they were not standard G4's. The pins were closer together. When I was visiting KZ's factory, they gave me complete fixtures with LED's.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
the bulbs are the common G4 base. They are either 10 or 20 watt. Chances are they are getting too hot and the contacts loosen. I replaced mine with much cooler LED bulbs that draw less then 1 watt and are much cooler in use. You can buy them cheap on ebay. Look for G4 5050 warm white LED bulbs. You want at least 15 leds per lamp and the flat disk type.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lamp is a common 10 watt Landscaping halogen lamp you can get at any Major Super Store, Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards, Wal*Mart, k-Mart, Meijer's (if there is one near you) and almost any hardware store you'd care to name.

Or you can get the OEM lamp at Camping world for several times the price.

Or you can do as I have done... Though I'm not necessarly recommending exactly as I have done.

on a visit to my regular service dealer (American RV, Burton, MI) I found they now carry a line of LED lamps.. Bit expensive (18-19 a lamp) but very good, They have a cool-white that is supposed to replace a 1141.. One of my dual fixtures has a 1141 opposite one of these. the LED is brighter.

The very same LED, but without the bayonet adapter, is also on the rack,,, IT fits those round down-lights perfetly (though on one I had to trim the lead a touch).

I can think of many things that may cause your problem, but I woudl need eyes on to be sure.

Remove the fixture, and check all connections is all I can advise.

But it may be bad sockets

With the LED's Id' not feel bad about bypassing the socket and soldering jumpers to fix it.. But .. Well.. That is something I can do.. If you have not done that kind of thing in the past.. Do not try it. 20 bucks a pop (After tax) is a bit pricy for mistakes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you touch them or move them and they work, the bulb is bad. Touching or even thumping the light assbly without removing the lense will make a defective halogen bulb work a little. The tungsten wire is partially separated and is making intermittent contac. Doug

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
If they are touched with your or someone else's fingers the oil from hands will cause them to burn out right away. Most of the original ones that came in my motor home burnt out rather quickly. Installed new ones without contact with my skin and they are lasting nearly forever. Don't know if that is what is causing yours to go but if you are handling them with your bare fingers that will cause the problem
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
It is best to not touch the bulb with your fingers. Could this be the problem?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110