cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar, Generators, All Things Chinese...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Chinese are freaked out about one of the leading presidential candidates remarks about trade with China...

"Last month, ---- vowed to impose a 45 percent tariff on Chinese good to offset China’s devaluation of the yuan.

“They’re devaluing their currency, and they’re killing our companies,” ----- said. “We are letting them get away with it, and we can’t let them get away with it.”

This is not a political post. If that tax is imposed and you have a three thousand dollar + project scheduled for your rig, it's going to add up to be more than peanuts. I know of few RV'ers goods not made in China.

PLEASE! Do not mention candidates names. It won't do a darned thing to help readers and along with sex and religion should be tightly reined in on a public forum.

The Chinese economy went cattywampus on me and instead of raising prices their economy went swirling down the bowl.

A 45% tax will utterly shut down my purchases of goods available NOWHERE ELSE regardless of price. I thought I'd pass this along but I fear this subject is going to become politicized therefore shut down. I'll take my chances. There are enough months left to plan and execute improvements.
13 REPLIES 13

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We have been into any one that would do it cheap for a long, long time. Food, oil, labor are all here but we send it over seas because the companies want to make a killing and we want it cheap. We grumble about the loss of jobs and American products but either the price wins out or we have no choice.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
As I stood last month, filling my DP with fuel (slow pump}, somewhere in Texas. I watched a very long container freight train pass by with, "China" or illegible Chinese painted on each container. I suddenly came to realize just how much we are into China and wondered how long our way of life would survive if this continues to grow.

I am old enough to remember, and actually knew a member of the first group of business people who went into China from the US. Seems like such a short time ago. Needless to say, he, quietly, went from rich to wealthy. If you buy fireworks for Independence Day or New Years you are probably making him wealthier. This is just a small part of it.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I'd rather buy a US-made item (and to a lesser extent Mexico and China), union or no, rather than one made offshore any day. Just because when one buys that Chinese item, that money goes to China, never comes back to the US, and the money goes to help Chinese infrastructure and their military.

I wouldn't mind some protective tariffs. I wouldn't mind seeing some revenue tariffs from Chinese imports in general, because that is how the US made most of its income pre-WWI. Tariffs ensured Harley still exists when inundated by cheap imports, so they are good for something, as without them, we would have lost completely the motorcycle industry.

Every time we get stuck with a "free trade" treaty, quality of life takes a knock across the US. We need to move in the opposite direction, so jobs stay in the US, and don't wind up going to wherever has the most lax environmental/labor laws.

JMHO, manufacturing capacity is essential to the US staying relevant as a world power. It might pinch for a bit not having the cheap stuff coming from overseas, but in the long run, keeping money here to pay for US jobs and buying power is an overall good thing.

Harley really isn't a good example, not in terms of quality anyways. In fact they sold their designs to Japan, which in those days, Japan 'improved' the design... The only time Harley won anything on a world standard was I believe 1940-1945, can you guess why...

Yes, Harley was a big proponent of the tariffs and as you say, if it wasn't for the tariffs, Harley wouldn't have made it...
Hogs and bone shakers were not a compliment as people like to think today. Mass production ability for WWI is what made Harley. Look it up...

Harley does have one of the most successful advertising campaigns in US history though, not far behind Santa Claus/Coke and DeBeers diamonds. Yes, advertising is why a woman can't be married without a diamond engagement ring... Never underestimate the power of advertising...
Inquiring minds want to know...

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather buy a US-made item (and to a lesser extent Mexico and China), union or no, rather than one made offshore any day. Just because when one buys that Chinese item, that money goes to China, never comes back to the US, and the money goes to help Chinese infrastructure and their military.

I wouldn't mind some protective tariffs. I wouldn't mind seeing some revenue tariffs from Chinese imports in general, because that is how the US made most of its income pre-WWI. Tariffs ensured Harley still exists when inundated by cheap imports, so they are good for something, as without them, we would have lost completely the motorcycle industry.

Every time we get stuck with a "free trade" treaty, quality of life takes a knock across the US. We need to move in the opposite direction, so jobs stay in the US, and don't wind up going to wherever has the most lax environmental/labor laws.

JMHO, manufacturing capacity is essential to the US staying relevant as a world power. It might pinch for a bit not having the cheap stuff coming from overseas, but in the long run, keeping money here to pay for US jobs and buying power is an overall good thing.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I encourage the purchase of North American goods and try to purchase items made in Mexico, Canada or the US. (Its a continental economy) However, I don't believe that quality comes with high pay...nor does pride. When automotive workers unions fight for the right for their members to be be stoned or drunk at work it sends a strong signal not to buy from companies that employ those union workers. If they want people to look at unions differently the union should be helping the employer to fire and penalize this bunch.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
wa8yxm wrote:
You can have goods made here in the USA by well paid USA workers who take pride in their work

Let's hope it's not the same kind of "pride in workmanship" so prevalent in the RV industry.

To say all Chinese products are junk is disingenuous. Take a close look at your expensive Apple phone, computer or tablet made in China and tell me if the are Chinese junk.

As someone else already stated, many of us vote with our wallets and will gravitate to lower-priced consumer goods in many instances.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Low prices in the now are a short term interest. Economic security for future generations is not. That's my .02

That said, people decide with their wallets and "low prices everyday" is winning those hearts and minds.

I do think long term it's better to work in partnership with China rather than an adversarial position.

I would take a middle ground with moderate tarriffs plus protection for key industry.

And let's recall that candidates talk all kinds of bs that will never fly.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have your choice: You can have goods made here in the USA by well paid USA workers who take pride in their work.. This results in more money in your pocket by the way, Proven over and over.

Or you can get cheap junk from overseas made by basically slaves or so close to it as to not matter (Listen to T.E. Ford sing 16 Tons and consider that many of the workers in China or Korea have it worse than the 1st person in that song).

And you can try to figure out how to buy them with no job, no income, no retirement, no Social Security, No pension, no health insurance and no savings.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Joel_T wrote:
How else can China's dumping tactics be corralled? i.e. ...solar panels brought into the US at below cost just to control the market.

The rumor is 250% tax on china made panels.

That is bad, costs American installers jobs.

The right way is for the US government to price support US makers with hand outs like the tobacco industry gets. This makes jobs for US installers, and reduces the cost of US made panels.

Price supports is the only way to combat price supports another country gives its' manufacturers.

But then import tariffs and price supports are never good in a free market system.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Post about a country with open and undisguised agenda of conquering the entire world - is not political? Oh naivety...

Mex, as you might remember, Mexico had 300-something% import tax on Chinese goods, - repelled last year. Since then I see more and more Chinese goods in local tiendas every year (and less Mexican). This worries me more than perspective of losing 3 grand on some project that I could've-might've scheduled for my rig out of boredom and disposable income. Maybe your projects are better justified.

Btw, my solar is not Chinese, and would've cost me about the same if it were - less $ for panels, more $ for comparable quality albeit less user-friendly controller, since the closest equivalent to my Rogue 30 is Tristar 45. Wiring is US made - both on panels and battery. All this was merely a result of shopping for the lowest prices within specified parameters of quality and features. I realize that this is not a common situation.

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
How else can China's dumping tactics be corralled? i.e. ...solar panels brought into the US at below cost just to control the market.
Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico's next election is in 2019

Los Angeles buys more Chinese goods in a year than Mexico does in a decade. To muse what Mexico does would be a farce in relationship to overall world economics.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Are you referring to the relations between Mexico and China, or the USA and China?

Sorry, I simply do not keep up with news, religion, politics, or the economy. (I keep up with RV.net! That's a full time job just in itself!) :B