cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Spec - Can Someone Please 'Splain?

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking again at the specs on my new flexible solar panel:

21.7 Open Circuit Voltage
6.10A Short Circuit Current
19.9% Cells Efficiency
5.70A Optimum Operating Current
17.7V Optimum Operating Voltage

Could someone please explain what the 19.9% Cells Efficiency means?

Thanks!
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
14 REPLIES 14

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Solar bike or a tiny trike car have no other choice but flexible panel. Installing a rigid panel on it would be difficult and affect the aerodynamic properties. A flexible panel without glass also means 15 lbs weight savings, important thing for a bicycle.

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
I came so close to using those for my solar project. I was concerned about heat build up and if I really wanted to glue or stick them directly down on my roof. But they sure look like they have potential. I saw an electric bike/car that is using the same type of panel on their roof for a small commuter vehicle.
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most panels have around 14% efficiency, so yours at 19.9% are 20/14=1.4 times smaller per same wattage. This is important if you roof area is not big enough for solar wattage that you want. If roof is big enough, then this is not important.

Efficiency drops by 1% a year for rigid panels. In flexible panels like yours I would expect it to drop faster, because there is no protective glass layer and clear plastic degrades sooner. So, in a few years the efficiency of this particular panel could match the efficiency of rigid panels, and then it will become lower. But again, if you have enough total wattage after this aging degradation, this doesn't matter. This has been said on this forum many times already: if you can get more solar wattage, - do it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That module ought to get your Grp 27 recharged in a day of full sun.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
You did buy it to charge your batteries, didn't you?

Yes, I got it to charge the trailer battery (single Group 27) and then on a long trip, I will carry a Group 24 in the bed of my truck for whatever...

I got the Renogy 100W flex panel ($199). I put the 2 long sides on a piece of small PVC as framing. It has not had any real world use yet.

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get the Go Power flex panels? If so please tell me how you like them - I am about to get those myself.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 12V system. What is important, for battery charging purposes, is how to get 14.8V to your battery out of your charge controller, and keeping it flowing the near maximum amount of amps it is capable of, near 6 amps is what it looks like, for as long as possible, until your battery reachs a full charge.

You did buy it to charge your batteries, didn't you?

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
mitch5252 wrote:
So, is 19.9% a good number?

There is a formula for that.

efficiency % equals power output divided by incident radiation flux times area of collector

If I recall 40% is common. Newer ones higher. Suspect soft type less efficient. JMHO

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes 19.9 is fine. Still the wattage rating is what it is.

If efficiency could move from 20% to 40% you would have double the output for the same size panel. So far that stuff is still just in the lab and not available.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Today's commercially available PV modules have efficiency ranging anywhere from 6 to 21%

So yes, 19% is pretty good
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mitch,

Yes, it is a good number.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
So, is 19.9% a good number?
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It means 19.9% of the light energy may, under ideal conditions, be converted to electricity. State of the art (which we can't afford) is about 27%. Older panels were often 13 to 14% efficient.

The number will drop over time with a 25 year working life for most panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
It means a one square meter panel will produce 199 watts of power. The higher the efficiency the smaller the panel for the same power output.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.