cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel with Deep Cycle Battery for winter storage

mgfiest
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1 12 volt deep cycle battery hooked up to a 30watt 15amp solar panel it has a shut off mechanism when it reaches the full charge state. I used this to keep the battery charged when not in use. I check the voltage at least 1 a month and it ranges from 12 - 13 volts, so it appears to be keeping it charged. The winters get very cold in ranges from -10C to -30C maybe at 1 week intervals but it does warm up to break those big freeze. I go and check the voltage on the battery and it still states 12 volts.

The issue is when I go to use it with the load in the spring I get a quick drop in voltage, I can not use the battery to start the fridge which needs at least 10v.

Is there somehting missing in my charging?
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgfiest wrote:
I have a cheap solar on my vechile battery which stays in and is in working order when spring comes. I have no load on the rv battery and its junkville in the spring. I know the better solar is putting out more voltage and it has its own shutoff installed in it. So I may have to assume that the new rv battery was******to start with... But any who... Theologically I should be able to leave a deep cycle battery on the solar over the winter months?

Theologically? Better ask your pastor or priest or rabbi. :W

An appropriate solar setup should be entirely capable of keeping the battery up over the winter. If it isn't, it seems it's not an appropriate setup for that use.

As I understand things, a good battery generally should survive the winter simply by being charged up fully and then completely disconnected. Self-discharge is quite temperature dependent, and pretty low when the environment is cold. A fully charged battery won't freeze unless you're someplace like Alaska. (Discharged, the electrolyte will freeze at a comparatively warm temperature.) Checking a couple of times and charging a bit if needed wouldn't hurt things.

If there are any small loads on the battery, it of course won't stay charged over the winter.

mgfiest
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all for the input

westend
Explorer
Explorer
mgfiest wrote:
I have a cheap solar on my vechile battery which stays in and is in working order when spring comes. I have no load on the rv battery and its junkville in the spring. I know the better solar is putting out more voltage and it has its own shutoff installed in it. So I may have to assume that the new rv battery was******to start with... But any who... Theologically I should be able to leave a deep cycle battery on the solar over the winter months?
Yes, I live in similar climate (MN,US) and my batteries are maintained year round by solar.

I would guess that the small panel doesn't make a lot of power. You really could use 14+ volts in the Winter in Ontario.

I'd suggest to either charge the battery with a 120V battery charger or have it tested at an auto parts store.

Battery University is a good source of battery information.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mgfiest
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You need to be close to 15 volts at least once a week.
Do you have a battery cut-off switch?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How old is the battery?

What is the voltage coming from the panel (it may not be high enough for winter time charging).

What charge controller do you have?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
mgfiest wrote:
I check the voltage at least 1 a month and it ranges from 12-13 volts, so it appears to be keeping it charged. I go and check the voltage on the battery and it still states 12 - volts.

Is there somehting missing in my charging?

Yes, & I suspect the battery is shot. Check the water levels, check SG, & attempt charging it with a portable smart charger. Or you can take is somewhere & have it tested.

Take the above advice concerning Solar charging.

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask the obvious, why not remove the battery for winter storage?
Also, do you run the gen set once a month, under load for 30-45 min? ( if you have one)
I find that my healthy battery, when re- charged by the generator periodically, stays in good shape all winter!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
30 watts is barely 2 amps at 15 volts (the charge rate while running from a solar panel).

If your CO meter is still on, that can use 0.8 amps per hour, 24/7. That can use more power than that tiny solar panel is collecting in the short winter months.

I would suggest a pair of 120 watt panels and a 20 amp charge controller.

SunElec.com sells a 140 watt panel for $229. At least one of these will save your battery all winter, if you can keep the snow off of it!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com