cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source for magnetic dipstick for Champion C46540 3500W gen?

tonyclifton
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in picking up a magnetic oil dipstick for my C46540 but can't seem to find one anywhere. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Gdetrailer wrote:
According to THIS EBAY LISTING

I've bought stuff from that seller before. Good stuff.

ALso search for an ebay seller of MRI_DENVER, they sell a ton of generator dipsticks, extended run fuel caps, tanks, hoses, etc.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OR just dump a magnet into the used oil you removed from your gen when changing oil if you want to see if you have any steel running around in the oil.

You find steel sticking to the magnet, you did something wrong like running it low or out of oil or possibly way to many hrs between changes.

You have a far greater chance of other non magnetic metals running around in that oil than steel that a magnet will not catch.

According to the manual

HERE

It is a 6.5 HP Chinese engine, that should be a "GX series Honda clone" Which should be equivalent to a Honda GX200 (6.5HP 196 CC)..

And yes, the factory dipstick is plastic.

According to THIS EBAY LISTING The dipsticks for GX110-390 are all the same and you can buy it from that Ebay listing..

So basically pick one for the Honda GX family and it most likely will fit.. If one were to switch the dipstick and it fits, make sure you verify and clearly mark the exact full mark to use for your gen..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Doesn't answer your question directly, but you can magnetize your dipstick (for whatever reason you feel that is necessary) with a length of wire and a car battery.

I'm not positive but I believe the stock dipstick is plastic, so....

Back to the OP's question: Just google it. As long as the threads match and it's the same length as the stock dipstick, it should work.

Ha, good point. And probably only a couple inches long to boot.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
I was unable to locate your dipstick part number in the manual.

This Amazon Seller stocks a variety of magnetic dipsticks. Ask him if be has one that fits your model.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
Doesn't answer your question directly, but you can magnetize your dipstick (for whatever reason you feel that is necessary) with a length of wire and a car battery.

I'm not positive but I believe the stock dipstick is plastic, so....

Back to the OP's question: Just google it. As long as the threads match and it's the same length as the stock dipstick, it should work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
You’d probably have better luck finding a magnetic oil drain plug. Sources for those are pretty numerous.

If the engine has spin on oil filter, another option would be to stick a magnet to the side or bottom of it.
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

I would be very careful about making your own electromagnet.

Using a car battery and a "length of wire" is pretty vague and potentially a hazard when combined with a car battery. Car batteries can deliver thousands of amps into a short circuit.

Not long enough wire and too heavy of wire can create one whopper of a spark right over top of the battery which has the potential to blow the battery up..

Too light of wire and you have the potential of a big fuse blowing up in ones hands blowing hot metal all over the person. Essentially, you need the length of the wire to have the correct resistance to draw current and not cause catastrophic damage to ones self.

Much better option is to take a existing strong magnet, attach to the end of the dipstick and drag it off the end of the dipstick. Repeat this a few times, check to see if dipstick will grab and hold small screws. If not strong enough, repeat same action a few more times.

Have done this many times over the years to magnetize screwdrivers and there are lots of sources for very strong magnets now days which can pinch your fingers if not careful.

Do be aware, any magnetism that may be developed on the dipstick via these methods ARE "temporary" at best. The magnetism will fade over time and even the vibration from the gen motor may help to make it fade faster requiring one to repeat the process every few yrs.

Metals used in making magnets are specially designed for the purpose of making magnets.

Not sure as to why the OP needs a magnet in the gen engine, you have very few steel parts in there, basically crankshaft, camshaft, lifters, rings, cylinder liner and perhaps a few ball bearings.. Been playing with small engines for yrs, I can assure you, you find metal pieces that are attracted to a magnet and you have done something bad wrong.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold