cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stink from kitchen grey tank

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
We leave a bowl in our kitchen sink. Since the REALLY hot (100F) weather has arrived, we get this awful smell coming from the sink hole drain whenever we lift the bowl away. It's as if the p trap is not working. We have put an "anti-smelly" into the drain, but it has not improved the situation.

This is a used trailer. We note the internal vent (in the cupboard under the sink) has been covered over with a plastic bag. Is this the right thing to do ?

What can we do to improve the situation ? What's happening ?
2010 30' Heartland North Country, on a site in Tucson, Arizona.
11 REPLIES 11

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ice2fire wrote:
Why does the tank need air going INTO it ? I would have thought that as waste water went INTO the closed tank, air would need displacing.

Physics at work.

The tank itself is vented (open to both directions) to the roof. The air admittance valve is to let the pipe to the tank drain when the water flow from the sink or whatever stops without siphoning the water out of the trap; it's basically a vacuum breaker. It doesn't (or at least shouldn't) let air out because you don't want to have smelly sewer gasses from the tank in your kitchen.

You do need to let air into the tank when dumping the tank. The roof vent is primarily responsible for that.

These are not uncommonly used in normal household plumbing for the same purpose. An alternative is to vent from the traps to the roof vent if that is physically reasonable.

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
Why does the tank need air going INTO it ? I would have thought that as waste water went INTO the closed tank, air would need displacing.

Physics at work.
2010 30' Heartland North Country, on a site in Tucson, Arizona.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My kitchen drain actually has two vents. It has the AAV under the sink which I think is just for using said sink drain and then it has another vent that goes up to the roof. Interestingly, that second vent is hidden in the fridge cavity and just dead ends under the fridges roof vent. I'm sure that second vent is for draining the tank so it doesn't have to pull all that air through AAV - which would probably slow down dumping the tank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
ScottG wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Covering the vent, can allow water in the p trap to be siphoned out.

Good point, where else would the air come from...

So maybe just removing the baggy and/or replacing it will solve the issue.

Yep the water draining to the tank needs that air break after or the trap will be sucked dry. Previous owner likely covered as it wasn't sealing any more.

Exactly.......
Air Admittance Valve.....admits air into drain line to break any vacuum which would suck the water right out of 'P' trap

Putting a plastic bag over AAV is one way of stopping stink from grey tank coming back up thru faulty AAV.
Better way is to replace it.

Also if leaving grey tank drain open cause you have trailer on permanent site.....stink could be due to all the stuff left behind and decaying in the hot temps (sloughed skin, hair, body oils, grease, food particles etc.)
Not being carried out by high liquid level....just trickling out
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

daved9664
Explorer
Explorer
quit cookin so much greasy garbage and make healthier meals! ๐Ÿ˜‰

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
enblethen wrote:

Yep the water draining to the tank needs that air break after or the trap will be sucked dry. Previous owner likely covered as it wasn't sealing any more.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt whether just removing the bag would help. Previous owner put it on there trying to stop odor, maybe!
We all now the quality of some RV parts!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had that happen once in very hot weather but never again after that. I still dont know why it happened. I too, covered the air admittance valve with a bag in desperation.
I dont know why fumes would get past the P-trap. Maybe it's just the drain pipe leading to it that is dirty. Maybe flush it with super hot water?

Also, if you take the bag off the AAV and odor comes form it, you need to replace it. Home Depot and other such stores have them and they're just a few bucks. linky

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't cover it with a plastic bag. Get a new one from any of the larger hardware stores.
The P trap, with water in it, should stop odors from tank coming in through that route.
Verify size
Vent

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow