Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suggestions for battery charger

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
looking for suggestions for a batter charger.

Needs to handle proper charging/maintenance of deep cycle - multi-phase Bulk/Acceptance/Float, etc.

Needs to be a plug-in portable unit I can use for all my 6v-12v vehicle batteries - not just my RV. (mowers, tractors, RV, boat, et al)

There are a billion reviews so I am hoping I can narrow it down from some real-world suggestions from you folks !

Your ideas much appreciated !
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.
14 REPLIES 14

red31
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.baccusglobal.com/

looks like stanley has one for 6-48v

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bbaley wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Do you want a battery charger that puts out 20-60 amps that you would use for dry camping or do you want a maintainer that puts out 5 -10 amps just to maintain the batteries while you are at home.

I suppose I was only considering the maintenance at home task for this.
I would be looking for one to go in the trailer as a separate item.

The maintenance one - I need for all batteries (rv, boat, tractors, mowers, et al)
I bought the Black&Decker 4,10,20,40 amp charger about 8 years ago for $50. The older models were called Vectors which were basically the same. They are portable so you can use it to quick charge your trailer at 40 amps when dry camping from your genset or use the 4 amp setting for maintenance charging a starter battery. It has an equalizing function at 15.5 v and a 24 hr desulfate function. I think for the money you won't find at better charger. Stanley now owns B&D so they make a similar charger and are about $100.

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Do you want a battery charger that puts out 20-60 amps that you would use for dry camping or do you want a maintainer that puts out 5 -10 amps just to maintain the batteries while you are at home.

I suppose I was only considering the maintenance at home task for this.
I would be looking for one to go in the trailer as a separate item.

The maintenance one - I need for all batteries (rv, boat, tractors, mowers, et al)
Our Equipment:
2007 model Chiweenie

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Sometimes it is not a perfect world and you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Wait... WHAT ? ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Equipment:
2007 model Chiweenie

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it is not a perfect world and you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

i use the Deltran battery "maintainers". They market both 6 and 12 volt units.

I have a 6 for my 1950 8N Ford.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A 5 to 10 amp Battery Minder or Battery Tender brand charger is what I recommend.
Considering the wide range chosen there is not a perfect solution to cover everything.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you want a battery charger that puts out 20-60 amps that you would use for dry camping or do you want a maintainer that puts out 5 -10 amps just to maintain the batteries while you are at home. Some of these mentioned will only put out 7 amps, which is fine for a battery maintainer but not good if you want to charge your batteries with a generator while dry camping.

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a modern "smart" charger that will do what you are asking without paying an arm and a leg.

I've had a couple (including the noco) and most won't hold an absorb voltage for deep cycle charging (if they even get up to a high enough voltage).

The PD suggestion above may be a decent option - but won't work for your 6v single batteries. I've resorted to having more than one charger.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive Dynamics makes a line of converters.. the 9200 line. These come in several sizes (more on that soon) and two types. Plug in and hard wired.

Get a plug in version (less you plan to hard wire)

Now. the size

Total your battery capacity.. Multiply by 0.30

Example: a Group 29.. about 100 AH. 30 amps
A pair of GC-2 (Golf car batteries) 220 amps. 66 amps (So use a 60)

THis is a top line 3-stage converter/charger designed for the very job you are trying to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
CTEK Multi US 7002

Thanks !
That looks like a good deal too at only around $100
Our Equipment:
2007 model Chiweenie

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my Pro-Logix PL2320.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Take your pick,....I never heard of a smart charger out there that did not do a good job of charging and maintaining a battery.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:
Needs to handle proper charging/maintenance of deep cycle - multi-phase Bulk/Acceptance/Float, etc.

Needs to be a plug-in portable unit I can use for all my 6v-12v vehicle batteries - not just my RV. (mowers, tractors, RV, boat, et al)

Both CTEK and NOCO make quality portable chargers but quality does cost. Although it still works "fine" I replaced the crappy WFCO 8955 in my own trailer because it never achieves it's advertised 14.4 volt bulk charge rate and I instead use a CTEK Multi US 7002.

It's a 7 amp charger but works fine for my purposes since we camp without shore power only occasionally, otherwise I'd have chosen either a CTEK 25 amp version or NOCO 26 amp, either of which would work just fine as a general purpose smart charger.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a 6/12v with the capabilities to charge at 2 amps 12 amps and start 50 amps. you will be covered