cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Guard Protector..????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy one for my 2004 TT. never had one before and I see there are 3 models available...My TT doesn't have a lot of electronics in other than a 60 amp convertor, refer and A.C unit along with the other standard plugs etc...
Any suggestions as to which one might be good enough for my older TT??

middle of the line....
beginning model......https://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.htmlhttps://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.html

best....https://www.campingworld.com/southwire-surge-guard-portable-30-amp-120-volt-wireless-communication-c...https://www.campingworld.com/southwire-surge-guard-portable-30-amp-120-volt-wireless-communication-capable-surge-protector-118086.html

https://www.campingworld.com/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp-73993.html
CHEAPEST MODEL

Thanks for any suggestions...
37 REPLIES 37

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
jolvi wrote:
DFord wrote:
Advice I've received said to stay away from Surge Guard products. I know from experience, Camco's top of the line protector is a bad investment. When mine failed due to water intrusion (it was never immersed in water but did hang outside for a month when it rained several times - it claimed to be water resistant), I called asking where I could get it repaired and was told it was not repairable. $250 on a non-repairable item doesn't sit well with me - never again. The Progressive line of protectors has a lifetime warranty that users say they stand behind.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

Just to clarify Southwire Surge Guard now have lifetime warranty and also detect load side issues, I know hard to believe an RV maybe miswired.

THANKS... CHECKED IN TO THE SOUTHWIRE SURGE PROTECTION and I do see a difference in the joules, the progressive EMS-PT30X has 1790 JOULES and the SOUTHWIRE has a 2450 JOULES rating. Is 660 JOULES difference that big of thing???? I still like the PROGRESSIVE look and cover but if 660 JOULES (not even sure what they are, LOL) is that much better maybe I will rethink...................THANKS

SOUTHWIRE 34931 MODEL...

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Advice I've received said to stay away from Surge Guard products. I know from experience, Camco's top of the line protector is a bad investment. When mine failed due to water intrusion (it was never immersed in water but did hang outside for a month when it rained several times - it claimed to be water resistant), I called asking where I could get it repaired and was told it was not repairable. $250 on a non-repairable item doesn't sit well with me - never again. The Progressive line of protectors has a lifetime warranty that users say they stand behind.

Just to clarify Southwire Surge Guard now have lifetime warranty and also detect load side issues, I know hard to believe an RV maybe miswired.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
I see posts like this hard wire so it won't get stolen. How many thefts in CG's are there?? Years camping and never lost a thing, camp setup & gone all day. Worked an area with a state park with over a million visitors, one theft in 25 years, couple kids stole sleeping bags.

I do not know how common campground theft is.. But I do know that if you are tired and it is late in the day you may be tempted to say "oh forget it" and regret dang near instantly especially with a 30 amp rig.

Campground in fact the very campsite I just left it found a problem.

Management fixed it but hey.. There was a problem
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
cavie,

Not all autoformers are created equal. Mine does three levels of boost and one of buck. I have added surge to it that is head and shoulders better than the offerings from SG or PD. It was cheaper than the SG and PD offerings.

The surge ems disconnect power at 103 and 104 volts. 107 would be the lowest I'd operate the roof air conditioner on. And when it is 40 C (101 f) outside I would want to be able to run the roof air safely. I have boosted from 97 volts on my unit--and that leaves the 3rd level of boost (90 volts) ready to switch in.

As I said before, low voltage is the culprit most of the time. I prefer to correct the voltage rather than be left relying on my "on board" power.

My power system is (when needed):

30 amp shore power-->autoformer-->limit demand to 24 amps-->load support-->RV.

I always check the pedestal voltage and polarity under load before plugging in my RV. I'm in a 30 amp service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The advice given here about the Progressive Industries EMS is the best advice,If you are looking for the plug in one The best choice would be the EMS PT 30 X

Right now Tweetys has the best price.

I prefer the Hard wired one myself, not because the fear of theft or forgetting it just one more thing to drag out and put away. The hard wire one is an easy DIY project they even have a CompanyVideo showing how it is done.

Thanks for the info and u r right, tweetys is the best price after checking many sites... they even beat Amazon who want 229.00 for the same one.
I am leaning towards that model after reading many reviews and videos..
thanks and thank you all for the help...

You are very welcome,enjoy your TT knowing everything is protected.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Different, yes. But also better.

cavie wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Consider an autoformer.

Auto former is a totally different piece of equipment.

All it does is raise voltage. Offers no other protection. Hughes is now selling an EMS to go with the autoformer.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The advice given here about the Progressive Industries EMS is the best advice,If you are looking for the plug in one The best choice would be the EMS PT 30 X

I prefer the Hard wired one myself, not because the fear of theft or forgetting it just one more thing to drag out and put away. The hard wire one is an easy DIY project they even have a CompanyVideo showing how it is done.

Thanks for the info and u r right, tweetys is the best price after checking many sites... they even beat Amazon who want 229.00 for the same one.
I am leaning towards that model after reading many reviews and videos..
thanks and thank you all for the help...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are boost/buck autoformers. I have never seen mine buck.

None of the surge devices are likely to prevent damage from a lightning strike.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Consider an autoformer.

Autoformers come in two limited flavors
The one I have (Hughes) if the voltage is low will BOOST it. a bit more than the spec sheet claims it appears as I've seen voltage in the GREEN zone inside with voltages outside in the seriously scary low...

That's why my rig is set up Autoformer--surger gurad---ATS--RV

BUT if the voltage is high No help and nothing for power "Blinks" either.

now ther other flavor will help if the voltage is a LITTLE high. but plug a TT30 into a 240 volt outlet and other than putting on a good firecracker sound effect show as teh MOV's go pop pop pop Well you are still fried.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the advice, I will check out the progressive one which seems to have been mentioned a few times here. thank u all again..

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Different, yes. But also better.

cavie wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Consider an autoformer.

Regards, Don

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE SO MANY. and so many things to look for.. not sure what to do now. Hate to get a hardwired one because than i would have to have someone do it and around here that another couple hundred bucks..Any suggestion for a good plug in one????
thanks

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Consider an autoformer.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.