cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching out amperage box

Debbiepowers
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I've been looking and have not seen this question arise. With all of the electrical conversions people use out there, (home power vs shore power etc) The one question I have is....what if instead of being limited by what your RV's electrical system can handle vs the amount of power available to you at the source (30amp / 50amp shore and 15amp home electrical outlet), could you theoretically just hard wire your RV with a 100amp box to use a 100/150/200amp electrical pole on your own property? I know you can just bypass your RV's electrical system with an extension cord from such a pole and run anything you want, but could you theoretically just wire (box and breakers, circuits / appropriately gauged wires etc) your RV for this purpose to begin with?

I am going to live in my 2005 gulfstream (gutted and rebuilt with non-VCO materials) and I need to be able to run my ac/heat, appliances year round and use whatever electronic devices I want.
I turned one end of the RV into a mobile sound studio and have a bunch of music equipment as well.

Is this possible?
15 REPLIES 15

MrWizard
a 30 amp RV service is 30amps at 120v = 3600 volt-amps
a 50amp RV is (2) legs of 120v a 50amps each
total equals 100amps at 120v aka 12000 volt-amps

can an electrician replace your rv breaker panel with a a larger service ? yes
if there is room to mount it
yes he will have to rewire with proper gauge wire from outside to the service panel

if you have a 30amp rv, i would convert to 50amp RV service
modern sound recording equipment does not need a lot power

concert/Band Amplifiers for sound output need power, but its doubtful you need that inside the RV studio

BUT if you are gutting and rebuilding, get the electrician to Re-wire it anyway you want with as much service power as you are willing to pay for
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s