cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T.P.O.Roofs

jjcook
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a new 5th wheels see some have a T.P.O. roof verses a EDPM roof would like comments on the TPO roofs . Such as ease of maintenance ect. Thanks in advance
2013 GMC 2500 crew cab Denali , 6.0 , 4:10
2003 Cardinal 29WBLE
16K dual pivot Husky Slider
7 REPLIES 7

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Presuming my 2006 JayFeather has the "felt" TPO, it has caused no problems for me in the last eight years.

Some folks have reported water damage when water gets underneath the TPO roofing material.

By the same token, folks generally report water damage when water gets underneath ANY roofing material.

The solution is, keep the roof sealed if you don't want water damage.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
TPO is better than EPDM rubber IMHO. just be sure,especially if it is a used KZ, that it doesn't have the felt backed TPO.

bumpy

Why is felt backed a problem??? Doug

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
No more black streaks with TPO.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
For me TPO...have had both and prefer TPO. As for the KZ issue...it was in 2006 and 2007 but was also on many other brands like Jayco during that period. I had a 07 Durango that had the issue. KZ replaced the entire roof including substrate and repaired delam...all out of warranty period (2 year warranty) and at no cost to me TPO as well as EPDM were invented as commercial flat roof materials and adopted by the rv industry.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
TPO is the tougher of the two and does not sluff off the top layer like EPDM. Nither is made of latex,(rubber) they are both synthetics.
The backing material of Brite Tek TPO is not felt, it is fleece, with a layer of EPDM bonded to that and a top layer of TPO.
Nither material requires any "maintenance" other than keeping any protrusions or seams sealed.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TPO is better than EPDM rubber IMHO. just be sure,especially if it is a used KZ, that it doesn't have the felt backed TPO.

bumpy

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Never had EPDM but the TPO is easy to maintain. I just wash it with Murphy's Oil Soap every few months. Not completely white anymore after 9 years but is holding up well. I have also sealed all seams with Eternabond tape and use the regular dicor caulk gun sealant liberally on other penetrations that the tape isn't suitable for like sewer vent, ladder and tv antenna....no water leaks ever. Getting a new unit soon with a fiberglass roof. looking forward to seeing if it really is maintenance free.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake