cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Home Depot is my new Amazon

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got fed up with Amazon handing off their UPS shipping to the USPS for the 'last mile' delivery to my house. The post office does not deliver to my house, so I have to drive many miles to pick up even the largest and heaviest packages.

HD has comparable prices, fast delivery to my house and some RV supplies. FYI.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
30 REPLIES 30

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
Around here USPS is running on Saturdays & Sundays delivering packages.
Lucky you.

Last time this UPS/post office handoff happened I got Amazon on the phone, and the lady went so far as to call the post office with me on the line, and arranged to have the package delivered to my home from where it was sitting at the post office. I waited 3 days and nothing happened. Nice gesture, but it would appear someone was lying.

That was the last straw for me. So from now on unless I can't get it anywhere else, I'm done with Amazon.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wanted to buy a Cub Cadet 42" riding mower....Local HD (18 miles one way) had them in stock
Asked about Delivery...they wanted $35 to deliver to my home

Went on-line...ordered it from HD
Cub Cadet drop shipped to my driveway from Ohio FREE :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
Appears to be common among online retailers now. Had the same with Newegg.com that shipped out on UPS, then transferred to USPS for final delivery. Happened on a Saturday recently, so didn't get my package until the first part of the week.

Around here USPS is running on Saturdays & Sundays delivering packages.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Being a veteran I go to Lowes for the 10% discount on everything. It adds up.

FYI Home Depot will give you the same 10% if you ask.

Lowes you can use the Mil discount online with your MyLowes card. I haven't figured out how to get mil discount online with HD.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
.. Newegg.com that shipped out on UPS, then transferred to USPS for final delivery.
You too eh?

Appears to be common among online retailers now. Had the same with Newegg.com that shipped out on UPS, then transferred to USPS for final delivery. Happened on a Saturday recently, so didn't get my package until the first part of the week.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Don't forget Jeff started with just selling books. A lot smaller head start than Home Depot.

And don't forget Jeff also go a "small" loan of $250k from his parents and HD stocked their first store with empty boxes because they couldn't afford stock.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:

FYI Home Depot will give you the same 10% if you ask.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I live in central NC and nothing out here but me, cows, and chickens. Nearest stop light is maybe 15mi away. I check local price, check on line, and then make a decision. A recent water pump was $200+ at Auto Zone and $37 on line delivered. Both made by the same manufacturer. Looking for a step motor for the DP and dealer wanted $200+ and it was $37 online delivered. I would like to shop local but they don't make it easy.

Seems unlikely you got the โ€œsameโ€ part for over 80% less on Amazon.
That cost difference is the difference between new and reman likely.
Amazon is convenient but not always the best option.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Nah. I get them for the medical rentals I stay in. Made in Mexico wire isn't solid, it's stranded. And the Chinese receptacles are only side wired. The spec receptacles have rear loading holes. He side-loaders have ? of the strands making contact. I also bought 2K of 10-12 gauge # 6 Forked terminals for a bargain price on eBay.
I have little patience with garbage grade wiring. Mexican electricians go bananas over Ideal wire nuts and good receptacles. I trade for their labor. I'm going to have a Tinaco put on the roof on this place. And a boost pump to fill it. A tinaco I
Is a cylinder shaped black, fiberglass water reservoir.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget Jeff started with just selling books. A lot smaller head start than Home Depot.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I don't live in the middle of nowhere. My Amazon orders come in a day or two. I just checked, so far this year we have placed 67 orders with Amazon. The last few were swimming trucks, cloth adhesive tape, a surf caster's tackle bag, fishing line, and ear buds. With Prime we do not bother to consolidate orders so even small items are shipped separately for the same price.

Needless to say, none of those items were available at Home Depot.
Mex, what are you doing with all those receptacles? Sideline business perhaps?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in central NC and nothing out here but me, cows, and chickens. Nearest stop light is maybe 15mi away. I check local price, check on line, and then make a decision. A recent water pump was $200+ at Auto Zone and $37 on line delivered. Both made by the same manufacturer. Looking for a step motor for the DP and dealer wanted $200+ and it was $37 online delivered. I would like to shop local but they don't make it easy.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
There are probably literally a million products you can get from Amazon that aren't available at Home Depot.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS