cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the clarifications. As you have probably noted most of us are wondering, "What is in the 2000i Inverter box" just like a kid watching a package under the Christmas Tree.

When is the projected availability of the 3,000 watt inverter you are developing? That is a unit the RV community will be extremely interested in since it should power a RV rooftop air conditioner.

Also, can you enlighten us on the 2000i distribution method and where we can find the 2,000 watt inverter? Per the comment below from Lance, he wanted one but could not find it. Many members feel like they are on an Easter Egg Hunt when looking for the product - it is not universally showing up at Sam's USA stores or online.

BTW - Product quality is important but so is your consistently excellent tech support and parts availability. "Service After the Sale" has been one of the major factors in the purchasing decision of many RV owners.

CPE's open ear to our specific wants and needs; such as the 30 amp TT outlet, electric start RC units and of course full power output available to a single outlet supplying 120 VAC have helped in making a generator purchase decision specific to an RV.

Generator sound levels have always been an issue with RV owners. It is our hope that the inverter models will drop noise significantly from those of an open frame synchronous generator.

We are all anxiously awaiting more user comments and product testing information to help guide us in a purchasing decision on the inverter models.

You know, Dennis, without factual input on a product that people are anxious to know more about, there is a tendency to create what may turn out to be inaccurate conclusions through conjecture and association. Timely communications are the best way to prevent this from happening.

Your posting may get zapped along with my reply due to forum rules. But, since you are supplying factual information members are specifically asking rather than attempting advertising, it is my hope the posting will remain.

Thanks for coming in and clearing up some questions and providing insight for future CPE generators.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

5akman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in need of a generator for farmers market and wanted to give the Champ 2000 a go but can't find one for sale anywhere. Just ordered the Honda this morning................. (:

Lance
2001 25' Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel, 2001 CTD, QCSB, 2wd with factory camper/tow package. 47re with triple disc/vb mods/electrical/servos/etc, 100hp inj, Quad ADR, Hx 35/40, lift pump, 3.55 gears, PacBrake

DennisCPE
Explorer
Explorer
The thermal breaker on the Champion 2000i is there simply because it is required for CSA certification which is a requirement for sale into Canada. The breaker is a redundancy on this unit because of the internal software but was required by CSA.

Regarding the engine: The 80cc engine is brand new tooling and features.

Regarding quality: The member from the mid-west that saw the Champion unit in a Sam's Club. Please set the two units side by side. You will see that you DO get what you pay for. Please check again, side by side.

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
I hope it doesn't look like I'm trying to infiltrate the CPE thread with Honda info. I just think it's useful to throw out what's known for comparison's sake. The eu2000i also does electronic overload protection, with the same obnoxious need to shut down the engine to reset it. There's also a 20 amp breaker on the outlet (not the parallel connector) which I believe is there only because of the parallel capability, because paralleled units would allow pulling more than 20 amps from the 20 amp outlet. The eu1000i by comparison does not have a breaker. I've overloaded the eu2000i several times and never tripped the breaker but I've read reports that it does occasionally happen.

For handling load increases, Honda spins the generator somewhat faster than necessary for the current load. This allows it to react seamlessly to small load increases, but the smaller rotating mass is a liability with large load increases. The internal capacitors IMO offer no meaningful energy storage. The eu2000i has two 1500 uF caps charged to 170 volts. Maybe somebody wants to calculate how many AC cycles that would supply at 15 amps. For as much as I knock the Microquiet, I'll say that when the 15,000 btuh air conditioner starts up, it figuratively has a small sneeze, while the eu2000i has a major heart attack for a few seconds.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne Dohnal wrote:
I've been in the middle of numerous "can an eu2000i run a 13,500 air conditioner" threads. They get very heated and run many pages, and it's not my desire to run this thread into the trash heap by going there.

SNIP

I remember them well. I was reading most of them but elected NOT to be a contributor on the trash heap.

Wayne, I realize you all ready know what I am going to write about so this is not a lesson for you. Rather, it is added information related to the subject that may help another individual that is not as knowledgeable on the subject as you are.

The Locked Rotor Current is the major deal killer on getting a 13,500 BTU A/C started. Somehow, the generator must overcome the LRC with a surge of "reserve power". Sometimes the capacitors in the starting motor circuits can overcome much of the initial resistance. Purely resistive loads do not have LRC currents to deal with like inductive loads. It is easy to ramp up an electric heater to the full rated load of an inverter genset without choking it down or off. Once started and running, an A/C compressor or fan motor can also be sustainable. It is getting it started that presents the problem.

One thing I have noted about inverter vs. non-inverter capabilities to provide significant surge power is that the inverters depend solely on capacitors to give a surge - often advertised at up to 2x their continuous power. But the deal killer is how quickly the power stored in the capacitor is dissipated. With a load like an A/C compressor it disappears too quickly for a smooth start. Non-inverters do not have capacitors like inverters. They depend upon the constantly changing flux field surrounding the spinning magnetic poles of the alternator. This field collapses when one or more AC cycles flatline due to load and are added to the power output of the alternator (genset). Of course, engine size and torque are also important factors related to surge capacity - perhaps more so than with inverter gensets as the limiting factor on inverters is often the design of the inverter module itself. Large engines in inverters can keep their 3 phase alternators spinning and providing power to the module, but excess power in does nothing to improve power out beyond the limits of the module design.

Still another issue that can make it or break it is the type of overload protector the inverter uses. On my Kipor KGE200Ti there is NO external circuit breaker to kick off or reset. Everything is done electronically within the inverter module. Overload the Kipor and it immediately disconnects. A red light flashes indicating an overload. To clear the problem and reset the innards you must stop and restart the genset. Sort of a PITA in my opinion. Not sure what Honda or Yamaha have for overload protection on their 2000's but I am under the impression it is similar. There is an external circuit breaker for the 13.8 VDC battery charging circuit. Maybe someone with a CPE 2000 can tell us what overload protection it uses. There is a switch type external breaker, but is it for 12 volt DC or 120 volt AC?

On/Off controls and Thermostats used in the RV can also be a deal killer. The original and very simple analog on-off-fan-temperature knobs mounted on the enclosure have far fewer bells and whistles than many wall controls. They tolerate voltage drops much better and can make it easier for an inverter to start and run the A/C. On the other hand, the thermostat in my Cedar Creek is a purely digital control module that receives external power via a separate 120 VAC line independent of the A/C power line. Inside there is a comparator that will quickly disconnect the compressor if the voltage on the A/C power line drops to a critical point in reference to the control line. In short, it simply will not let any power source start the A/C where the instantaneous voltage drop that occurs on the A/C power line exceeds a predetermined level. When that happens, you will get nothing but the flashing E6 on the thermostat LCD display. I have thought out several ways to circumvent this control if the need every becomes necessary, but to date what I have does work with my Champion 3,500.

So, adding to the heap and all of the "maybes", the only accurate comment I can make is the one often shown in small, unreadable print at the bottom of your screen at the end of a TV commercial, "Individual Results May Vary - What You Have Just Seen is not Typical."
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
orionpaxx wrote:
hey all,
new here. picked one of these inverters up today at sams club for $499usd.
i've got to say i'm happy so far, the plan is to get another and run the parallel kit.
i'll be using these in a espresso concession trailer. so, i'll need the combined power.
the unit started on the first easy pull, warmed up and took a few heavy loads.
commercial bunn brewer rated 1600 watt 13.3 amps...
on idle it's very quiet! i'll post more as it unfolds.
Jay

I'm always amazed with the first posts by someone new, that appear on these 'Plug-a thons' They all seems to hit where the discusions question something about the product. Like above, it will output 1600w/13.3 amps. I would think the 'espresso concession trailer' would need some real heavy duty power. Their are many first time posters we never hear from with follow ups. And true usefull info'How does this happen? As for this 'Official CPE 2000 Watt Generator' I still want to see some creditable post showing the use of an 1200w Microwave or any A/C. Or any real proof of 1600w running and 2000w peak. Either it will or it won't, preform for 30 minutes with a 1600w load.

Comment on the first video. Sounded to me like the engine might fly apart. I do hope these new Champion Inverters prove they are well engineered and manufactured and give many years of great service just like the Honda EU2000i that seems to be the 'Gold Standard' The question is, can/will the Chinese do this?

Capt_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same roof air ..at least it looks like mine.
The compressor kicks on in a few seconds...but it will make my 3.6 surge for a split second...I did not notice his gen doing anything when it should have.
I don't think it kicked on.

orionpaxx
Explorer
Explorer
hey all,
new here. picked one of these inverters up today at sams club for $499usd.
i've got to say i'm happy so far, the plan is to get another and run the parallel kit.
i'll be using these in a espresso concession trailer. so, i'll need the combined power.
the unit started on the first easy pull, warmed up and took a few heavy loads.
commercial bunn brewer rated 1600 watt 13.3 amps...
on idle it's very quiet! i'll post more as it unfolds.
Jay

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:

A 2,000/1,600 watt inverter might run a 7,100 BTU A/C OK. Dometic says 2.5KW MINIMUM for the 7,100 and 3.5KW for the 11,000 on up.
I've been in the middle of numerous "can an eu2000i run a 13,500 air conditioner" threads. They get very heated and run many pages, and it's not my desire to run this thread into the trash heap by going there. My previous rig had one of the Dometic 57915.xxx 13,500 units (don't know the .xxx). For the lowest consumption 57915, the chart shows 11.4 amps for the compressor and 2.5 for the fan, for a total of 13.9 amps. With the fan on high, mine pulled between 11 and 11-1/2 amps total (hot day, in the sun, etc.), depending on which of the several instruments I used to measure it. It never failed to start or run on the eu2000i, and as the only load, the generator didn't even run at its full RPMs. One experienced RV tech says that this means that my air conditioner was bad, and in the field they use the current draw to determine the correct coolant level. Maybe that's true, but a few other thread participants reported readings identical to mine with the same air conditioner. This is IMO a definite YMMV issue. One thing I learned is that when powering with a generator, it's very easy and very common to leave the fridge on 'auto'.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the movies. Is there any chance you can show the kilowatt while the microwave and toaster are running so we can see the current drawn and the voltage drop that the microwave had?

Thanks.
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
This is a crop and chop of the Dometic model and load chart for everything from the 7,100 BTU to the 15,000 BTU. IMHO, it is extremely doubtful that a 1,600 watt inverter generator producing 13 to 15 amps is going to run a 13,500 BTU A/C. LRC (Locked Rotor Current) on start-up is high on all models and the inverter is incapable of providing that much amperage even for the 1/5th of a second needed no matter how large the capacitors are.

A 2,000/1,600 watt inverter might run a 7,100 BTU A/C OK. Dometic says 2.5KW MINIMUM for the 7,100 and 3.5KW for the 11,000 on up.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Dan2009 wrote:
I picked up one of the 2000W Inverters this past weekend, and I'm fairly pleased with it so far. It's run everything in the 30' fifth wheel, uncluding the microwave. I didn't try the A/C, but I have the 3500W for that. The only concern I have is that the voltage drops to around 96 volts for a few seconds when I start the microwave. Here's a link to my unboxing of the generator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0VE8MxFHs My other videos are different tests of the generator. The videos aren't edited, so you'll see some of my trials and errors.

Are you allowing the generator to automatically shift from low speed (econo mode) to high speed? My Kipor KGE2000i will do the same thing if I do NOT throw the switch to "ECONO OFF" before I add considerable load change.

Dan2009
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up one of the 2000W Inverters this past weekend, and I'm fairly pleased with it so far. It's run everything in the 30' fifth wheel, uncluding the microwave. I didn't try the A/C, but I have the 3500W for that. The only concern I have is that the voltage drops to around 96 volts for a few seconds when I start the microwave. Here's a link to my unboxing of the generator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0VE8MxFHs My other videos are different tests of the generator. The videos aren't edited, so you'll see some of my trials and errors.
2001 F250 SuperCab V10
2005 Keystone Laredo 28GR
3500W Champion
2000W Champion Inverter 73531i

w33k3nd_warrior
Explorer
Explorer
I will retest it later today and check that compressor. That may be the case. I just bought the trailer and I am green to travel trailer camping but this has has put a positive note on my beginnings.
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4WD
2006 Layton 247 Limited by Skyline

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
w33k3nd warrior wrote:
579 series. I am not sure the exact last digits of the model number. My manual says "579 Series Duo Therm Brisk Air by Dometic

I decided to make a video of my testing.

Darn good video. When You turned on the music I felt like I was getting ready to watch a movie in a theater. ๐Ÿ™‚

Considering the size of your camper, I would be surprised if your A/C were smaller than a 13,500 BTU.

But, I do have one question - Are you sure the A/C compressor really did start and run? On mine there is a delay from the time the fan starts to when the compressor kicks in that is actually longer than your video. Also, if there is a considerable voltage drop or insufficient voltage the compressor only clicks for a split second and goes back to fan mode.

Could it be that this happened in your tests? My Kipor KGE2000Ti WILL NOT start my Dometic Brisk Air 15,000 BTU A/C compressor but will support the fan.