cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
Since the CPE2000i uses a sync cable for parallel operation, I would expect that it could only sync-up with one of its own kind. The Honda and Yamaha synchronize without the use of an extra cable, so they would possibly synchronize with an already-running CPE generator. The Hondas AFAIK stand alone with an output voltage well above 120, so if one of them were paired with another generator I'd expect the Honda to carry all of the load until its output voltage was pulled down to 120, which occurs after it is supplying more than its rated continuous load. This is all speculation of course until somebody tries it, risking the unintended consequence of breaking something in the process. Based on what I know, the Champion-Honda combo would in the best case be undesirable, and in the worst case send up a smoke cloud.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
I wonder if the Champion coould be paralleled with a Honda or Yamaha? I read something (quite a while ago) some discussion about paralleling a Honda and Kipor. I don't remember the outcome.

I am just thinking that if someone already had a H or Y, they might be interested in trying it.

I would imagine it is possible, but not something that could be done with out-of-the-box components. The key to paralleling is synchronization of the output wave of both generators. One would need to have an understanding of the firmware that would allow the signal from one generator to be interpreted by the second so this could happen.

On the Honda-Kippor mating, I would not be surprised if this was possible. The Kippor KGE2000i is so similar to the Honda in design. In fact, I have read where Honda filed a lawsuit against Kippor for infringement on their design patents.

My take is the CPE 2000i is significantly different in the design of the inverter module than Honda's which will make any such mating impractical to pursue.

Good thought though ๐Ÿ™‚
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the Champion coould be paralleled with a Honda or Yamaha? I read something (quite a while ago) some discussion about paralleling a Honda and Kipor. I don't remember the outcome.

I am just thinking that if someone already had a H or Y, they might be interested in trying it.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Got a bit of extra money kicking around right now (for the first time in a LONG time) and am really considering picking up one of these genny's at Costco soon.

I'm sure it was covered somewhere, but what was the warranty from CPE? If it's only a 1-year I might sit on it till spring rather then waste 6 months of a one year warranty during the RV off season.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
No your correct in the past 45 pages there has been several references to it being capable however no-one has yet to do it. unfortunately I am too chicken to spend quite that much in one go to attempt it. I think I will try a single for now and maybe when I've decided completely on the device il take the plunge. I would be very interested to hear from any one who has done this already regardless of manufacture.

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread as its been very informative and has helped greatly in deciding to even try it. even if it did take me two days to read
You can take me camping, but apparently you can't make me camp!:S

SplashDancer
Explorer
Explorer
Note sure I've seen where anyone had yet parallel 2 units, and while the above is what is should be in terms of 2 units each half loaded equally and protected, it would be great to see the actual.
If you proceed and buy 2 units and the paralleling kit, please share what happens when you load the 30 amp RV breaker.

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
well thats good information to know. Makes sense now that I think about it Im assuming that both are going to be the typical +/- 10% each = about 20% of 30A

Another consideration to point out is one of a break in period. When you buy a car there is a break in procedure that needs to be followed and same with other small motors eg. nitro RC motors which need to be run at 50% rpm for several hours before full performance is evaluated I would assume that a gen-set is the same. Nowhere in the manual is there a break in procedure listed maybe something to enquire about with CEP...

MrWizard
when you parallel TWO 15amp CB'S you get the equivalent 30a protection, the load should be shared equally between the two generators, so a 20amp load.will be 10amps on each cb
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there having now read all 45 pages of this thread, I find it interesting that there are so many people trying to run an AC 13.5k or not with a 2000w GEN while I would love to be able to do it I realize the reality of it. If I recall the first few pages of this thread, the question at heart is "is this generator a worthy investment or something your going to use a hand full of times and need to replace, and will it power typical 2000w loads?" The attractiveness of this particular unit is the price in Canada with the ability to pair it with another of the same unit for the Canadian cost of a red or blue single and half the cost of a 3000i in Canada. This is even still less than the yellow 3000i and gives you the flexibility to increase fuel efficiency by running only one when low loads are needed.

Having said all that the concerns I have with this system are:
Is this setup a viable long lived machine (I'm not expecting to hand it down to my kids like maybe you could with a red or blue) and when linked will it run my AC. I have sent an email to CEP already with my equipment concerns but maybe someone here has enough experience with the device to know when paired is the trailer adaptor in the link kit a 30A circuit or is it still a 15A breaker? As this is one of the deciding factors for me.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Dan2009 wrote:

Can anyone comment on the possible effect of the voltage drop I'm seeing, and what the impact on my electronics might be after repeated usage of the 2000W inverter to run the microwave?

First, nice job on the video!

I need to know something about your test set-up.

I see a yellow extension cord plugged into the generator - not the expected black #10 RV service cord with an adapter. I cannot tell if the cord is running directly to the Kill-A-Watt then the microwave for the test or if it is perhaps going to the RV supply cord via an adapter at the end of the extension cord. If the latter is true, again the gauge and length of wire from the microwave outlet to the Kill-A-Watt meter will be helpful in giving you an answer.

Anyway - what is the gauge of wire in the extension cord and how long is it? The response is important to answering your question.

And, have you tried putting the Kill-A-Watt in the inverter outlet and conducting the same experiment at that point in the circuit? If so, were the readings the same?

On your last question - "and what the impact on my electronics might be after repeated usage of the 2000W inverter to run the microwave?"

Are the electrons you are asking about those in the inverter, the microwave or other devices in your camper like TV, converter, fridge, etc.?

Just need to know a little more in order to give you an accurate answer.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
hausknwa wrote:
I would not worry about the 4 bolt handle. A chain is only going to slow down a determined theif. If they would take the time to take out 4 bolts, they would cut a chain in a second. Just MHO.

I think it comes down to how easy it is - 4 bolts could be removed without much effort with common hand tools that a lot of people carry with them on the road and the temptation could strike someone who would otherwise not normall consider it..

A chain cutter isn't something that most people carry however so it rules out the "crime of opportunity" crowd when there's a way to secure it via such.

Mark

hausknwa
Explorer
Explorer
I would not worry about the 4 bolt handle. A chain is only going to slow down a determined theif. If they would take the time to take out 4 bolts, they would cut a chain in a second. Just MHO.

Dan2009
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted 2 more videos showing the Champion 2000W ability to power a microwave. The videos are basically the same, one is with economy mode turned on, the other with it turned off. At the end of both videos I try to show the sound volume from inside the camper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iQj4uPcQw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvPawTlrnNo

Can anyone comment on the possible effect of the voltage drop I'm seeing, and what the impact on my electronics might be after repeated usage of the 2000W inverter to run the microwave?

As for a comparison to the Honda eu2000i, I've only heard a few of the Honda's and they seem to be a tad quieter than the Champion, but not $500 quieter in my less-than-useful opinion. I will not be embarrased at all to run my Champion during generator hours at a campground.

Lastly, when I made these two videos this past weekend, I spent a few hours in the camper at the storage yard working on the laptop while my son played on his XBox 360, all being powered by the Champion inverter. The whole time it was in economy mode, and really just idling (when I unplugged it there was no difference in the sound). I kept an eye on the Kill-A-Watt plugged into a nearby outlet, and the voltage hovered around 123V. Occasionally the engine would stumble a split second and I'd see the overhead AC lightbulb flicker. I'm guessing this is because the load was so minimal, the throttle control would 'dance' around the lower limit. If I had a more significant load, there was never any stumbling.

I hope this helps. So far I'm really digging my new generator!

PS: When I opened the generator to fill the oil, I was impressed by the fit and finish of the internal components. The castings and machining of the metal parts looked as good as I could hope for, and all the plastic parts fits together really well.

One concern I have about the design is how to lock it with a chain. The obvious way would be through the handle, but it's held on with 4 bolts.
2001 F250 SuperCab V10
2005 Keystone Laredo 28GR
3500W Champion
2000W Champion Inverter 73531i

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Private Pilot,

Had a litle trouble in going to your profile and following 'my links'
but maybe once again we can chalk that up to being Old and Slow. I kept the model G V tail for family use for many years. Single axis auto pilot. But that was back in the old days:)

Yes, great idea to get back on track. Going back to the post from the CEO of Champion (CPE). Concerening the new 80cc engine for the Champion 2000w Inverter. Since the new 1000w Kipor/Champion has hit the market, I looked over the Kipor.com website. It's interesting that Kipor states a large number of new patents. Perhaps Champion could give us some number for the new patents they own for the new 80cc engine? And which other Inverter are we to put side by side with the new Champion 2000w Inverter. Honda or Kipor? For actual and factual numbers in output and Noise. What shocked me was to look at the noise levels of the Kipor. Not even close to Honda. Disapointed, as a member of the CCC's.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
So, back on topic, sorry if I missed it elsewhere in this thread (it is getting pretty long) can anyone offer any comparisons on noise levels of this generator compared to the Honda 2000i?

I heard a Honda 2000i running for the first time (in person) a few weeks ago and was honestly quite astounded. The db numbers on this unit look similar but a few videos I've saw on YouTube make it appear to be a lot louder, although videos can often be misleading.

Mark