cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

BENT_ARROW
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure someone will explain why I am wrong but posts about the rated power or output of the Honda 2000 and Champion 2000 seem to be misleading. Honda's website shows the 2000 is rated to run at 1600 watts the same as the Champion but maybe a surge or start up at 2000 while my Champion will cut off at 1750. While plugged into the Champion as shore power my 1600 watt microwave/convection oven in the MH will not run but I would not expect the Honda rated the same at 1600 watts to do better.
I bought the Champion to run a few things through the night and not make a lot of noise while boondocking and have not been disappointed, now I keep adding a few things on like a new toy but there's no way I would ever reach it's capacity.
Bent Arrow
99 PACE ARROW 35'
Chevy 4x4
4 Wheel Pop-Up
S10 Blazer ZR-2
ATVs
Red Polaris 500HO
Yellow Polaris 500HO
Orange Polaris 850XP LE

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Going back in the posts and looking at the professor's photos of the scoped wave form of the open synch gensets you can see the clipping that occurs.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
If the 400 watt inverter is "modified sine wave", it will run the converter at a reduced power level because the voltage peak of 120 volt MSW is about 140 vs. about 170 for a sine wave. The converters are very dependent on the peak voltage. The story is somewhat similar with a small conventional generator. The voltage regulators go into a stupid mode when hit with the bad power factor load, the peaks go down, and the converter runs at a reduced power level. This is why some people can brag that their little 1000 watt genny can power the converter while the twice-as-powerful inverter generator won't.

When hit with the bad power factor load the inverter generators maintain their peak voltage pretty well, and the converter runs at full power. If the inverter generator is big enough it's a blessing. If it's not big enough it's a curse because instead of reduced power, you get nothing at all.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
That was informative.
I've been going on the assumption that any 1600 watt generator was not going to be able to run the converter in my trailer. If the 400 watt inverter in your Tacoma can do it then my assumption was obviously wrong.
I had a 2005 Tacoma by the way. I liked that truck but my trailer was right at the limit of it's towing abilities.
I am looking forward to your experiment with the 1200/1500 watt generator.
Now I am wondering if the Briggs & Stratton 1600 could handle the load.
I have no intentions of buying or lugging two of any generator. If I was willing to spend that much money I would get one of the red or blue ones.
All I am looking at is saving a bit of money. I use a generator 3 weeks a year at most. If the only draw back is having to use a battery charger I am ok with that. Notice I said if? Saving money is no bargain if you end up with something unreliable though.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I was merely stating what is required for the average RV'er to charge their batteries from a typical OEM (WFCO) 3 stage converter. Plain and simple; just 1 battery, nothing fancy or special. Why lug 2 champions at double the weight, doouble the hassle, and similar price to one Honda or Yamaha. If we can stay on topic for more than 20 seconds, it's as simple as that.
The single CPE 2000i is not a sure thing. Red or blue is.

I will be reporting back shortly if the synchronous 1200/1500 watt can do it.
The enigine on the 2000i is capable, that that argument is weak and not relevent. CPE needs to address the inverter module software, it is not just surge that is an issue, it is also Power Factor.
Heck the 400 watt inverter in my Tacoma pickup will handle my converter, it just dials back the voltage,(95 volts or so), but at least it will charge it in a pinch. That's a 400 watt OEM built in inverter BTW....Point being, it's ugly, but the superior operation of the control ciruitry means it manages the surge, and does not cut out.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
ganderson967 wrote:
I follow this forum everyday but have never felt like I had anything I should to contribute so this is my first post.

I am personally angered that Dennis from CPE would imply that #40Fan is lying about his O ring and gas leak problem. Additionally, his statement about his tec guys and records of calls is a lie.

In April I bought a Champion inverter after reading the positive comments from the Professor and Randall C. I took it out of the box, filled the tank with gas and set it in the basement compartment of my fifth wheel trailer. When we arrived at our camping spot the smell of gas was everywhere. The entire contents of the gas tank had leaked out onto the floor of the trailer. It was really scary and bad.

I immediately called the hotline on my cell and spoke with a guy named Jim Miloto who asked if I had the fuel cap switched to off and the gas valve on the side turned off. I told him I did. Then he told me that the fuel line from the gas tank was probably leaking and began to give directions on how to fix it. I told him I did not have the tools to fix it and would either return it to the store or take it to a repair shop. I gave him my cell phone number and he told me that he would call back within a hour and tell me where to take it for repairs. He never called back so I called the next day and asked to talk to Jim. A guy told he was not there but would be in later. I once again left my phone number and asked for a return call but no call was returned. On day three, I called again and listened to the directory and called his extension. When he answered he had no clue who I was or even remembered talking to me so we went through the whole thing again. He never could give me the name of a repair shop where I could take the thing to get it fixed. That is when I said to myself forget it. I returned the generator to the store as soon as I got home.

This Dennis guy either doesnt know as much about his company and product as he thinks or he is a liar trying to protect his rear end. Without being given a real name to go with the handle how would he know if #40Fan called or not? My name is George Anderson. This Dennis guy needs to do some apologizing.

This thread is better than anything on TV today. It's a real hoot to read back just 30 days. Brought some first timers out of the wood work. The above post was like this fellow (granderson967) had one of those '???? capactitors' attached. I am in the camp of 'let's find 'DennisCPE' the CEO of Champion on another Forum, yet to be located.

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
It is advertised, promoted, and sold as a 2000 watt generator. End of story.
On CPE's website, it is still to this day in the "over 1900 watt" category.
But yes, it is a reasonable deal for what it is, but a camping generator that can't reliably run 55 amp converters, is a swing and a miss.
And who wants to haul 2 generators around, at only a slight savings, to do what other brands can do with one?

It could be advertised, promoted, and sold as a 3000 watt generator, would it then be compared to a Honda 3000 watt generator?
My point is, I know it's a 1600 watt generator with the limitations that go along with that. I can live with a generator that will run a battery charger and a few lights as long as it's quiet.
Even if I use the WFCO converter in the trailer it appears that I would only have a problem if it goes into boost mode. This shouldn't be a happen if I keep the batteries charged daily. As I said before, I don't think it ever goes into boost mode anyway. From what I have read it's probably because of the cable size.

The closest real comparable generators I can find are the Generac iX1600, the ETQ IN1800i and the Honeywell 1600i. They all appear to be the same generator, just different colors. The noise level may be higher than the Champion at 55db-65db. I say may be higher because I can only find one reference to it and that is from a vendor.
The Briggs & Stratton 1600 gets generally good reviews and has a reported noise level of 52db-59db but sells for about $150 more than the Champion.
None of these will run in parallel.

You are correct, two CPE 2000i generators is only a slight savings over the Honda or Yamaha 2000 but again we are not doing a direct comparison. Two CPE 2000i's in parallel would be more comparable to a Honda or Yamaha 3000.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Oletop wrote:
I would like to haul two Champions around at only a slight savings. I enjoy havig two. Now I can power more than one Honda, Yamaha, or any other single 2000 watt inverter generator can and I paid less to do it.

It is all in what people want. If you are a name brand buyer, then go out purchase your name brand product. If you are a bargain shopper who recognizes a deal when you find it, then purchase a CPE 2000 inverter. After all you get two for one pricing.

There is no need to bash the product. If you don't like it go to another topic. If you are interested in it then stick around. I have had no problems out of mine. There are issues with some and it is obvious. People are here for answers and help. Lets use the forum as it is supposed to be used.

I would not call a spade an ace. Let's look at the Champion 2000i. Problems with quality control from day one. The April 2011 mfg units continue in that group. Many leaks reported. EC Modules problems. Burps. Wandering rpm's. Engine freeze ups. One report of 153 hours total service before being returned. Reports of two units not always in sync. Quick start of a 11a pc of power equipment is a 'no go' With the use of two units, no quarantee they will operate the common 13,500 btu a/c more than three hours. No quarantee of retail parts. A picture of where they are manufactured would be great. Perhaps I should stop here before the eggin' starts. I continue to be in the market for good and fare value in an Inverter genset. My Champion C46540 was in that class. I'll add A++ for CS at Champion. Personal experience. Hope floats for the future.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Not true at all. My setup includes 1 group 24 battery, connected with correctly sized cables. By the second or third day of camping, including running our 1500 watt inverter, the WFCO 8955 does go into boost. That was entirely my problem with the CPE 2000i. If you dry camp, and use lots of battery power, it goes into boost every time.

Well, that has not been my experience. I have yet to see it go above 13.7v. I have seen it drop down to 13.2 after some time. I've heard others report the same thing. Maybe I am not discharging mine down as low as you, I don't like for it to get below 12.3v. Also, there might be significant voltage drop, my batt is located some 10 or 15' from the converter. Also, I almost never go more than one night without runnning the generator - gotta have my morning coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Oletop
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to haul two Champions around at only a slight savings. I enjoy havig two. Now I can power more than one Honda, Yamaha, or any other single 2000 watt inverter generator can and I paid less to do it.

It is all in what people want. If you are a name brand buyer, then go out purchase your name brand product. If you are a bargain shopper who recognizes a deal when you find it, then purchase a CPE 2000 inverter. After all you get two for one pricing.

There is no need to bash the product. If you don't like it go to another topic. If you are interested in it then stick around. I have had no problems out of mine. There are issues with some and it is obvious. People are here for answers and help. Lets use the forum as it is supposed to be used.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Angus_NB wrote:
Hybridhunter wrote:
Angus_NB wrote:

I'm not for or against the Champion. Can you tell me the make and model of a 1600 watt inverter generator that can handle the situation described above?

I was suggesting the other brands on ECO will not stop dead with a 1500 watt heater turned to high like the Champ does. Family experience indicates that the Honda will not shut off, but the voltage will sag. Anecdotally, the Yam 2000 is said to perform Very well with surges.
I have nothing against CPE either, just the 2000i, and it's dismal surge / power factor performance: especially when compared in the 2000 class, which is what CPE says it is.

The Honda and Yamaha are a different class of generator, 2000 watt not than 1600 watt.
I agree Champion is misleading people by calling their generator a 2000i rather than a 1600i but I can buy two Champions for the price of one of the other brands. I don't consider them to be a direct comparison.
I thought you may have known of a direct competitor that would handle the load a little better.

It is advertised, promoted, and sold as a 2000 watt generator. End of story.
On CPE's website, it is still to this day in the "over 1900 watt" category.
But yes, it is a reasonable deal for what it is, but a camping generator that can't reliably run 55 amp converters, is a swing and a miss.
And who wants to haul 2 generators around, at only a slight savings, to do what other brands can do with one?

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
Angus_NB wrote:
From what I can tell the WFCO converter in my trailer isn't going into boost mode anyway. After 4 days plugged into shore power and the trailer not being used the batteries are only at 90%. Two hours on an external charger brings them to 100%.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to use a battery charger anyway no matter what generator I get.

I have a WFCO with a single G24 batt. It never goes into boost (or bulk) mode. As I understand it, for that to happen, it has to be loaded enough for the voltage to stay below 13.2v (IIRC) at 55 amp output to trigger the boost mode. A single G24 won't do that, and I doubt 2 of them will do it either. And if it did, it sounds like the generator might not like it considering the pf of the converter.

Not true at all. My setup includes 1 group 24 battery, connected with correctly sized cables. By the second or third day of camping, including running our 1500 watt inverter, the WFCO 8955 does go into boost. That was entirely my problem with the CPE 2000i. If you dry camp, and use lots of battery power, it goes into boost every time.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, perhaps we could debate this in another thread and get this one back on the topic. I'm as guilty as others for derailing it, but the forum ops discussion really should be elsewhere.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this forum costs money to run. That is why we have advertisers. I am sure, IMO that is why agents of companies are not allowed to post. It would or could lead to some kind of free advertising when others are paying so this site functions. Now,Dennis can set up a forum on his own web page. It is sort of what some companies have done to reach out to users, like Superchips, for example. Now that this has been beat to death.....
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

MrWizard
Dennis CPE
Had his shot at answering questions,
He never should have started rooting his own horn
He should have stuck to the issue's

Angus_NB wrote:
I am a moderator on another forum. We simply delete the posts that violate the no advertisement rule.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s