cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

byates
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
******SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Champion 1200 / 1500 Watt can run the 100% full load from my converter, including the large startup draw. I tested the genset with the converter charging a low battery, while running every 12 volt accessory, and then I started my 5000 BTU A/C running off my inverter (which puts a huge battery / converter draw). The converter was in "bulk" mode right from the start, and was near 100% output, as the voltage was at 14.3ish, and then sagged when I started the AC. The output voltage on the gen was between 104-108 volts.

As I was playing around, I was able to bog the generator down to 87 - 90 volts by overloading it, and it never stalled or shutdown. So there you have it folks, the 1200 / 1500 model 42431 can outperform the 2000i when presented with the ugly load of a WFCO 8955.

As for noise, it has a lower frequency, and it is louder, but I just threw a floormat over it, in the shape of a taco, with the sides draping down over the plug, and up at the intake and exhaust ends. I think the lower frequency, and the constant, lower, smoother running of this generator makes it easily as suitable as a campground genset. Not to mention the lack of rattling, that I found with both my 2000i's.

Sorry to hijack, but I figured it was relevant to the topic, and I am now a happy camper. Not to mention the $169 all in price from a certain online camping outfitter.

DW is quite happy, which bodes well for the rest of us.......

deleted-answered my own question.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
So bottom line, the $169 genset will be the pants off of the Chmapion 2000i as a camping genset. WOW, perhaps Champion (CPE) will come to market soon, with the replacement of the Champion 2000i. Maybe a rebadged something?

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
******SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Champion 1200 / 1500 Watt can run the 100% full load from my converter, including the large startup draw. I tested the genset with the converter charging a low battery, while running every 12 volt accessory, and then I started my 5000 BTU A/C running off my inverter (which puts a huge battery / converter draw). The converter was in "bulk" mode right from the start, and was near 100% output, as the voltage was at 14.3ish, and then sagged when I started the AC. The output voltage on the gen was between 104-108 volts.

As I was playing around, I was able to bog the generator down to 87 - 90 volts by overloading it, and it never stalled or shutdown. So there you have it folks, the 1200 / 1500 model 42431 can outperform the 2000i when presented with the ugly load of a WFCO 8955.

As for noise, it has a lower frequency, and it is louder, but I just threw a floormat over it, in the shape of a taco, with the sides draping down over the plug, and up at the intake and exhaust ends. I think the lower frequency, and the constant, lower, smoother running of this generator makes it easily as suitable as a campground genset. Not to mention the lack of rattling, that I found with both my 2000i's.

Sorry to hijack, but I figured it was relevant to the topic, and I am now a happy camper. Not to mention the $169 all in price from a certain online camping outfitter.

DW is quite happy, which bodes well for the rest of us.......

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
The Champion has some sort of stored power that takes about 3 seconds after the motor comes to a complete stop. Then the over load light will shut off. You can even hear a sound which resembles some kind of small motor running.

X2, you must wait for the generator to fully stop and then deplete enough power to shut down the circuitry before you can restart / reset.

I'm not sure what the noise is, but I suspect it's actually humming of the electrical/inverter circuitry. Mine does it too, as does a friends, so it's normal.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
The Champion has some sort of stored power that takes about 3 seconds after the motor comes to a complete stop. Then the over load light will shut off. You can even hear a sound which resembles some kind of small motor running.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
On the overload reset, I've read that for the Honda you can turn it off then quickly back on, and the engine will restart from the inertia. I haven't tried it personally and don't know if it's applicable to the Champion or not. It's one of those little things that's obvious once you know about it.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
Going back in the posts and looking at the professor's photos of the scoped wave form of the open synch gensets you can see the clipping that occurs.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I went back and read (or re-read, I'm not sure ๐Ÿ™‚ ) from page 110 to 120 of this thread.
Posts from you, Hybridhunter, Professor95 and others were very informative.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Five_Nine
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
About 1700 watts for the Champion barring surges based on many of our tests. The newer models without the circuit breaker are being advertised at 1700 running watts. Per the owner's manual on the Champion, it's 2000 watts for 5 seconds. The Honda is 2000 watts for up to 30 minutes. Dollar for dollar for watts......

In some cases the limitation may be the circuit breaker, or electronics, but only at sea level, IMO. At higher elevations the engine runs out of horsepower before the generator over loads on high electrical power draw. As I posted earlier, my 2000i will barely run a 1500 heater at 3500' elevation. It was drawing about 12A at 119V.

I have no doubt that the Honda would handle this better with its larger 98cc engine. Like the Champion, the Yamaha 2000W inverter gen has a 79cc engine, so I wonder how it performs at similar elevations.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Unfortunately they all have to be shut down and restarted.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I think the difference is that the Honda has a true surge capability for a number of seconds, 15? 20?
She the CPE can supply a Power Spike for less than 5 seconds

The Honda recovers, the CPE does an overload condition

It would be less irritating if it was not necessary to shut off and restart the CPE. Maybe a reset button, or an auto reset would be good. It drove me nuts, and attracted attention to the fact that I was running the only genset in the campground, (restarting it repeatedly)

MrWizard
I think the difference is that the Honda has a true surge capability for a number of seconds, 15? 20?
She the CPE can supply a Power Spike for less than 5 seconds

The Honda recovers, the CPE does an overload condition
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt, the Honda is very forgiving. I didn't have that kind of money for the set. So,in comes Champion. Great luck with open synch version. I was willing to tinker with their inverter model. The two together are pretty impressive.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
The specs for both the Honda, Champ, and most others are cooked. For starters they both advertise their capacity in watts. It's only after you read your owners manual they you see they really meant VA instead of watts. (The Champion manual says watts, I believe). Specifically for the Honda, that 2,000 watt rating is not a surge rating, as it's allowed to be used for 30 minutes. Trouble is, the typical eu2000i won't supply 2,000 watts for more than a few seconds. The best you can count on is getting close to 1,900. From what I've read, it's pretty clear that the Honda will start a lot of loads that the Champion won't. The Honda will support over 1,600 watts (or VA) for an extended time, while the Champion won't.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
About 1700 watts for the Champion barring surges based on many of our tests. The newer models without the circuit breaker are being advertised at 1700 running watts. Per the owner's manual on the Champion, it's 2000 watts for 5 seconds. The Honda is 2000 watts for up to 30 minutes. Dollar for dollar for watts......
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
I reread the specs of both the Honda and Champion 2000i.
Both are rated as 1600 watts continuous and 2000 watt maximum.

From the tests I've seen in this forum I don't remember any that could get the Champion to the 2000 watt maximum.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)