cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
professor95 wrote:
The red case version has no circuit breaker (13.2 amps on yellow case).

Red version uses an extra winding on the stator for the 12 VDC output (yellow does not, but may have the winding). DC on red models does not go through the control module. AC from the alternator is rectified to DC with an external diode. Voltage regulation and available amperage of 12 VDC on the red model is probably not very useful.

Other than the above, both the red case and yellow case are mechanically identical inside. Same 80cc engine, alternator and control module (software for the module may be different).

Canada required the circuit breaker on the yellow case version which was first introduced there. IMHO, the CB was unnecessary since there was an electronic overload disconnect in the control module - just that CSA required the redundancy.

USA version certified by our EPA simply carried the CB forward even though it was not required in USA.

Silver case version was a "special" build for Northern Tool under the Category 5 designation. Category 5 is a CPE brand name. It was identical to the red model except for the case color.

I am under the impression that the red case is no longer being produced. Those still out there are NOS models.

The yellow case with silver corners is the color for the 2012 CPE model of the 2000i. IMHO, there is nothing inside the red case or silver case that make them worth seeking out over the yellow.

Now, all that said, the major changes in all of the CPE2000i models since the first one was introduced has been in the software used in the control module. Software changes included longer overload delay time, code to eliminate "the burp" and code to bring the engine speed up more smoothly when a load is applied and the econ switch is on.

A couple of days ago I wrote that SuperGen Products would reprogram existing 2000i control modules for $20 plus shipping. I received an e-mail from SuperGen Products today with new information. I am providing a copy of the email below:

SuperGen wrote:
Hello Randy,

Super Gen Products in Newark, NY location will offer a Free upgrade of the computer module if the owner sends it to us with return postage included inside the packaging. If anyone has questions, have them call me at 1-8GENERATOR phone no. (843) 637-2867.

Send to Super Gen Products
Attn. Free Program
1173 E. Union St.
Newark, New York 14513

We will turn it around by the next business day.

This was not a sales advertisement. Nothing is being sold. Free sounds like a good deal for reprogramming the Control Module's PLC to current software standards. With this offer, any generation or color of CPE2000i can be made to perform like the latest models. It is a 5 to 10 minute easy job to remove the control module. You need a 13mm, 10mm and 7mm socket and a #2 Phillips screwdriver.

NOTE: This is not (currently) an offer from CPE in California. It is a SuperGen Products only offer.

I assume they are still doing this, and how do you get to the module?

A conversation, that I had with them about 3 or 4 months ago they are still doing it.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
A far as I know the offer from SuperGen is still good. Give them a call to confirm. BTW - they now have a second store in CA. Really growing and a strong independent but CPE authorized repair and sales facility. This is not an advertisement - I have no connection to SuperGen - just know the folks there and trust them.

Somewhere back in this thread I posted pictures on how to strip the case and remove the module. It is not a difficult project but one must be careful to note how parts go together, what type of screws go where, and the position of the top handle for reassembly. Fuel tank is also removed so best to do the job outside or in a well vented shop with no open flames or sparks as some fuel will dribble when the fuel line is pulled. Also pay attention to the rubber on the bottom of the module - remove it and make a note to be sure and put it back on when replacing the module. Triangular metal inserts that the top handle screws into can fall out of the case - be sure to note where they go.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
The red case version has no circuit breaker (13.2 amps on yellow case).

Red version uses an extra winding on the stator for the 12 VDC output (yellow does not, but may have the winding). DC on red models does not go through the control module. AC from the alternator is rectified to DC with an external diode. Voltage regulation and available amperage of 12 VDC on the red model is probably not very useful.

Other than the above, both the red case and yellow case are mechanically identical inside. Same 80cc engine, alternator and control module (software for the module may be different).

Canada required the circuit breaker on the yellow case version which was first introduced there. IMHO, the CB was unnecessary since there was an electronic overload disconnect in the control module - just that CSA required the redundancy.

USA version certified by our EPA simply carried the CB forward even though it was not required in USA.

Silver case version was a "special" build for Northern Tool under the Category 5 designation. Category 5 is a CPE brand name. It was identical to the red model except for the case color.

I am under the impression that the red case is no longer being produced. Those still out there are NOS models.

The yellow case with silver corners is the color for the 2012 CPE model of the 2000i. IMHO, there is nothing inside the red case or silver case that make them worth seeking out over the yellow.

Now, all that said, the major changes in all of the CPE2000i models since the first one was introduced has been in the software used in the control module. Software changes included longer overload delay time, code to eliminate "the burp" and code to bring the engine speed up more smoothly when a load is applied and the econ switch is on.

A couple of days ago I wrote that SuperGen Products would reprogram existing 2000i control modules for $20 plus shipping. I received an e-mail from SuperGen Products today with new information. I am providing a copy of the email below:

SuperGen wrote:
Hello Randy,

Super Gen Products in Newark, NY location will offer a Free upgrade of the computer module if the owner sends it to us with return postage included inside the packaging. If anyone has questions, have them call me at 1-8GENERATOR phone no. (843) 637-2867.

Send to Super Gen Products
Attn. Free Program
1173 E. Union St.
Newark, New York 14513

We will turn it around by the next business day.

This was not a sales advertisement. Nothing is being sold. Free sounds like a good deal for reprogramming the Control Module's PLC to current software standards. With this offer, any generation or color of CPE2000i can be made to perform like the latest models. It is a 5 to 10 minute easy job to remove the control module. You need a 13mm, 10mm and 7mm socket and a #2 Phillips screwdriver.

NOTE: This is not (currently) an offer from CPE in California. It is a SuperGen Products only offer.

I assume they are still doing this, and how do you get to the module?

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
RangerEZ wrote:
MrRchitty wrote:
Make sure the exhaust screen is cleaned on a regular basis.

Randy

What is the best way to clean this? Brake cleaner or??

Thanks.

You can use a small brush, just brush the carbon away and wash it with soap and water. There's an inverted screen inside, too.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
Make sure the exhaust screen is cleaned on a regular basis.

Randy

What is the best way to clean this? Brake cleaner or??

Thanks.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
If it fouls up again quickly I'll know something weird with the gas quality...

I was planning on using mine in the near future with my first TT, a Jayco SLX 184 BH which has a small A/C window unit. I assume it can run that on low and the charger/converter with no issue? I tested at home with a Kenmore 8000btu unit and it didn't go into overload (and I don't have the circuit board upgrade yet).

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
Geez I feel dumb now...

It did turn out to be the plug, I pulled it and found it bridged and dirty so cleaned and put it back in. Fires up!

Reason I didn't think spark plug is because it's probably been about 5 hours or less since I replaced it with the recommended (from here) NGK plug.

That's good. I was going to throw another suggestion, but you got it. Make sure the exhaust screen is cleaned on a regular basis.

Randy
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
Geez I feel dumb now...

It did turn out to be the plug, I pulled it and found it bridged and dirty so cleaned and put it back in. Fires up!

Reason I didn't think spark plug is because it's probably been about 5 hours or less since I replaced it with the recommended (from here) NGK plug.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
Yes, I did check the basics, fuel is on and the carb was full (checked with drain screw).

Pull the spark plug....check for soak and condition of the plug.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did check the basics, fuel is on and the carb was full (checked with drain screw).

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
Long time lurker here, bought one of these because of this topic!

Ran into a problem though, is there a tech manual for the CPEs? Mine gets love and care, and is excercised once a month even during winter.

My power went out a month ago, so I cranked it up. After about 2 minutes of running to warm up it just died and wouldn't restart. I'm wondering how likely what failed is the electronics because of how complicated these inverters are.

Just going with the basics, please, ensure the fuel switch is on and the fuel cap vent is open. The symptoms described sounds like there was fuel in the line, you started it, and then, ran out.

Just my 2 cents.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
Long time lurker here, bought one of these because of this topic!

Ran into a problem though, is there a tech manual for the CPEs? Mine gets love and care, and is excercised once a month even during winter.

My power went out a month ago, so I cranked it up. After about 2 minutes of running to warm up it just died and wouldn't restart. I'm wondering how likely what failed is the electronics because of how complicated these inverters are.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, apparently you can't get efficient and low-profile in the same unit. I like that it's only 8" high though.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
Thought maybe I'd post my recent experience trying to run my truck camper a/c unit with my Champion 2000. I live at ~3500ft elevation.

I have the following A/C unit installed on my camper:

Coleman Mach 8 Polar Cub (47201A876)
- 9200btu, 11.7 amp on high, 11.2 on low
- low profile

I couldn't find one of the lower draw units so I was hopeful that my little Champion 2000 Inverter generator would run it. No luck, it's not even close really, it goes into overload immediately.

I then purchased a 2000w Honda, it can run this a/c unit easily and starts it in eco mode.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I've read most of this thread and it seems that my experience would be expected. I have nothing bad to say about the Champion, it served me well for 3 years and I would still be using it if it would have ran the a/c.
I've been able to run an 11,000 BTU unit fine with ECO mode off. It seems more efficient than your unit though.
TT - 2015 Keystone Passport 2810BH

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Thought maybe I'd post my recent experience trying to run my truck camper a/c unit with my Champion 2000. I live at ~3500ft elevation.

I have the following A/C unit installed on my camper:

Coleman Mach 8 Polar Cub (47201A876)
- 9200btu, 11.7 amp on high, 11.2 on low
- low profile

I couldn't find one of the lower draw units so I was hopeful that my little Champion 2000 Inverter generator would run it. No luck, it's not even close really, it goes into overload immediately.

I then purchased a 2000w Honda, it can run this a/c unit easily and starts it in eco mode.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I've read most of this thread and it seems that my experience would be expected. I have nothing bad to say about the Champion, it served me well for 3 years and I would still be using it if it would have ran the a/c.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB