cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips re: Dometic Penguin A/C air distribution box

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
(If you do not have a Penguin-style air conditioner, this discussion will probably not be of much interest. But if you need to clean and service your Penguin a/c unit, you may find this useful.)

The plastic box on the ceiling of your RV that provides the air conditioning is often called an air distribution box ("ADB"). After watching a lot of videos on air-conditioning servicing, I can safely say that the domestic Penguin ADB is a little more complicated than most others.

So here are a few tips that might be of interest:

First, you have to remove the control knobs in order to remove the ADB. I found that a very slim putty knife worked well to loosen the knobs. Once there is a gap under the knob, just grab the edges and pull straight out. Label the knobs for re-assembly.

Next, you need to find all eight of the mounting screws. This diagram is taken from the installation manual:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Using this diagram, you will have to hunt around for the screw heads, which are cleverly hidden. The screws under the vent flaps are particularly hard to spot โ€“ a good flashlight may be helpful. Slowly open and close the flaps while looking up at the ceiling โ€“ you should be able to spot the screws.

In order to unscrew the mounting screws, you will probably need a square drive bit with a long shaft, like the ones on the right side of this photo:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Obviously, support the ADB while you are removing the screws so that it does not come crashing down. It's not heavy, but it is brittle and expensive. (And no, I did not break my ADB.)

When re-installing the ADB, start at the back end, making sure that the slots in the rear vent are lined up with the tabs on the plastic frame attached to the ceiling.

Be careful when re-installing the control knobs โ€“ parts of them are brittle. Align them with the tabs on the control rods before pushing in on the center of each knob. Again, a flashlight may help you with that alignment.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
4 REPLIES 4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
Doug, that's great info -- my ten year old trailer was put together with nothing but square drive screws. Phillips bits will not work with my screws. I just assumed that all trailers were built with square drive screws -- thanks for clearing that up!

They are built with Square bits. Mostly. But sometimes the installers just use the screws that come with the kit. Doug

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should also add that your observation is entirely correct: "MOST novices fail to see the screws that hold thru the existing holes on the bottom."

That's me!! I thought I had unscrewed all of the screws. I tugged on the ADB -- not too hard -- and it would not budge. When I was younger, I would have tugged harder and would have broken the plastic. (My nickname within the family is "Twisto the Great," as in "he thinks that more force is the answer to everything.")

Equipped with the wisdom of age (stemming from many prior disasters), I went back to the manual to see if there might be any hidden screws that I had overlooked. Yes, there were two of them. Problem solved, and no plastic was harmed.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug, that's great info -- my ten year old trailer was put together with nothing but square drive screws. Phillips bits will not work with my screws. I just assumed that all trailers were built with square drive screws -- thanks for clearing that up!
About our trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, THAT style ADB lower cover is a PIA. But your take on Square 1 or 2 is not exact. The ADB comes with Phillips screws and almost all OEM installers use phillip screws. I wish OEM's would use Square in install. Makes it much easier to remove and MUCH easier to install. Good pic. MOST novices fail to see the screws that hold thru the existing holes on the bottom. Doug