cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire issues

campingsaxplaye
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2003 Viking 2270 pop up. I am having unusual tire wear with radials that are only a couple of years old. Two tires have done exactly the same thing. They are Loadstar 175/80D13's 8ply load range D. They are mounted to a Dexter Torflex axle. The drivers side tire has a bulge that runs the circumference of the tire toward the outer wall. It happened on the tire that was there before I changed it. Both tires, including the spare were purchased at the same time from etrailer.com. I used to have Loadstar bias tires. They were on there for a good number of years. I seem to remember unusual wear on the outsides of the tread and thought that the radials would run smoother. I always keep them aired at the max pressure which is 65psi. The passenger side radial looks perfect with a nice, square tread. I have noticed that the drivers side is noticeably higher on that side of the trailer. I have not measured it yet, as we just got back from a 400 mile run. The tread is perfect on the bulged tires. I do know that the trailer was in some sort of rear end accident before we bought it, possibly the past owner backed into something. I am leaning towards a problem with the axle on the driver's side. Could it be the Torflex is messed up? Anyone else seen tires do that? Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

campingsaxplaye
Explorer
Explorer
I took the tires to a local dealer and they said it looks like delamination on both tires. They also pointed out that the treads looked good and that if it were an axle problem that it would be evident in the tread. They said it looks like tire failure. Could it be coincidence that it happened on the same side? Hmmm...

campingsaxplaye
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I mistakingly put 175/80D/13's. They are 175/80R/13's. Good catch! I am still not sure why that particular side is having an issue. It is the side that has the refrigerator, hot water heater, and other storage. It just seems like maybe that side if the trailer is flexing much more than the other. I am at a loss other than to take it somewhere.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
campingsaxplayer wrote:
I own a 2003 Viking 2270 pop up. I am having unusual tire wear with radials that are only a couple of years old. Two tires have done exactly the same thing. They are Loadstar 175/80D13's 8ply load range D.

175/80D13 is a bias ply. Tire would read 175/80R13 if radial.

The D is for Diagonal or Bias ply.

Anyway I recommend MAXXIS or Marathon radials.
I believe your Loadstar is literally coming apart. You are lucky to make it home. Possibly still under warranty.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Without actually seeing the tires, it sounds like de-lamination.
Have a tire dealer you trust look at them.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

campingsaxplaye
Explorer
Explorer
I checked some basic measurements with a tape measure and everything is the same. There is nothing that looks out of the ordinary.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it was mine, I'd definitely get the tape measure out. I have similar axles and they are mounted to the frame with an angle steel bracket. It may be that an accident could cause the mounting bracket to shift. Could also be that the frame is out of square.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

campingsaxplaye
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply! Fortunately, I am able to store her in the garage when not in use and I keep her on jackstands to keep the full weight off ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
Do the tires get intense sun exposure when its not in use? That might cause the tire damage. Consider covering them when you are not using your trailer. That's my guess:)

Matt