cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Load Rating Questions

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago the truck tire shop installed 8 new Michelins (275/80R 22.5) on my tag axle diesel pusher that were a G rating. I now realize that the RV labels states it should have H rating tires. What is the difference in G and H. Weight allowed? Number of plys? Both or something else? Should I immediately switch out the tires to an H rated tire? What are the possible consequences if I don't? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
perdy simple if you ask me, don't overload the tire rating (duh)?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ply ratings and letter rating really don't matter that much. The tire sidewall will always have a maximum load rating. THAT is what is important.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look on the side of the tire...it gives the load rating as weight.

H will generally be higher than G but it's an old style rating from back when they made stronger tires by adding more plys...Now it's done by modifying the steel belt configurations.

As others have said, take it to the scale (loaded for travel) and see where you fall. If you are under the rating for the current tires, no worries. Deal with it next time you need fresh tires.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that many tires with higher load ratings (like many going from G to H) have higher load carrying capacity AT HIGHER PSI's.

In some cases, those PSI's are above the rating for the OE wheels. So, verify mad wheel PSI before assuming you can carry the PSI to give you those higher load carrying capacities.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I changed from 10x20" to 1100 x 22.5" on Quicksilver. Load range H

I had first thought having a major increase in tire size and rating for all 10 tires would make a joke out of weight capacity.

Until I took the loaded-for-bear rig to a public scales.

You need to first load your rig including water, fuel, and all the junk RVers take along on a long trip.

Only then will reality rear its ugly head. And make buying new tires less unpalatable. Also weigh the front axle separately. I weighed my tagger separately.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "G" in your size mentioned will carry a specific weight in single or dual application at MAX inflation. Same goes for the "H" tire but it will carry more.

I highly advise weighing your rig and making sure the tires meet your weights.

Look up "Tire weight/inflation chart" for your tire size and load range.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, fj. Start with the tire manufacturer. Do you know your axle weights loaded and set?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried doing a Google search for your question? You're likely to get solid information rather than opinions and wrong information on a forum. For what you're searching, I would trust a tire site's specs before I would trust a forums' members' information.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"