cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Brake issues.....

js415
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 2017 Heritage Glen 300BH, with a 2006 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax/Allison combo.

Dual axle, and I use a Prodigy P2 controller.

I've been towing this trailer for about a year with no issues. This summer, I started developing a loss of brakes while driving, and I would get a "OL" message on my controller.

Research tells me that it is probably a short somewhere. The brake circuit rubbing on the frame or inside the axle.

I can still apply and use the brakes manually when this occurs.

Today I pulled the wire out of the axles expecting to find worn spots. The wire was in perfect condition.

I went ahead and replaced it with 12AWG wire and tapped it all back together. We plan on leaving again this coming Thursday so that will be my first time to test.

I was shocked at how small the wire was inside the axle. It could not have been larger that 24 gauge wire. Is it possible the wire was just so darn small that it was causing the overload condition?

My next plan is to pull it this week, see what it does after a few miles. If it starts again I will cut the brakes to one axle to see what happens. If it continues, hook that axle back up and cut the other axle.

If it still continues, where the heck do I go next. Try and eliminate one assembly at a time?

Any other areas you folks have found problems?

Thanks for any advice,

Jerry
22 REPLIES 22

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
delete.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
This isn't brain surgery..

Make your life simpler and just scrap the existing brake wire run from front to the axles and be done with it. The factory often uses too light of wire to start with and it is not worth the hassle to attempt to find the intermittent short in it.

Replace the existing wire by upgrading the wire ga 12Ga minimum but larger can often make a huge improvement in your brakes, your brakes will work better than new.

You do not need to find and remove the OEM wire, just cut it out on both ends then run the new wire along the trailer frame.

While doing that pull each brake drum and inspect the magnet wires, they often get tangled inside the drums with the mechanical arms and damage the insulation which can cause intermittent overloads.

js415
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked at my breakaway switch and not happy with it. The wiring all looks good, but the plastic housing is cracked and split apart.

Even though, that should not cause the issues I am having, I do not believe. Unless some of the wiring inside the case is rubbing on something. I've ordered a new one and can replace it Sunday.

Jerry

js415
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ScottG wrote:
No, small wire wont cause an overload message. Basically the +12 has to be shorted to ground someplace for the P2 to show that.

YEP^^^^^^

Short...
Can be at umbilical cord, plug, receptacle
Can be at Emergency Break Away Switch
Can be at ANY of the brake magnet connection
Can be INSIDE the drum where magnet wires have rubbed against shoe lever arm

OR bad GROUND
Check the brake magnet ground wire connections
Check umbilical cord plug/receptacle for corrosion

I've pulled 2 other trailers this summer for over an hour each and did not have any issues with them. Leading me to believe it is on my trailer.

I have not looked at breakaway switch. Gonna do that this evening and see what it looks like.

After I narrow it down to an either an individual axle, or something else, I can at least start looking in the right direction, if it is a magnet/wiring related issue.

Thank you,

Jerry

js415
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Grab your clamp-on DC ammeter and check each wheel is getting about 3 amps when controller is applied manually. Then reconcile with the amps coming out of the controller.
No meter? Good excuse to buy a new tool ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm not sure that will work. I can sometimes drive 20-30 minutes without the error message. Then sometimes I pull over to an exit ramp and it does it all the way up the ramp.

With it being intermittent, would a amp meter reading tell me anything conclusive?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
No, small wire wont cause an overload message. Basically the +12 has to be shorted to ground someplace for the P2 to show that.

YEP^^^^^^

Short...
Can be at umbilical cord, plug, receptacle
Can be at Emergency Break Away Switch
Can be at ANY of the brake magnet connection
Can be INSIDE the drum where magnet wires have rubbed against shoe lever arm

OR bad GROUND
Check the brake magnet ground wire connections
Check umbilical cord plug/receptacle for corrosion
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grab your clamp-on DC ammeter and check each wheel is getting about 3 amps when controller is applied manually. Then reconcile with the amps coming out of the controller.
No meter? Good excuse to buy a new tool ๐Ÿ˜‰

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad