cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck problem: dificult to shift from Park into Reverse

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
08 Chevy Silverado is hard to shift from Park into Reverse..
this is on level ground..

Started doing when weather got freezing cold..however once the motor warms up its easy to move the lever..

Anyone knows what would cause this?

Thanx
6 REPLIES 6

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Just be prepared for the WD-40 to gum up the inner working of the lock down the road.

If it were mine, once it warms up, I would flush the lock with something like electronic tuner cleaner then re-lube with the proper lock lubricant.

Good idea thankx

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Just be prepared for the WD-40 to gum up the inner working of the lock down the road.

If it were mine, once it warms up, I would flush the lock with something like electronic tuner cleaner then re-lube with the proper lock lubricant.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
The older ones like our '93 Chev. C could be deactivated by pulling a wire off the brake switch down at the brake pedal. This is what I did 6 years ago to be able to get out of park.
Brian

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Update
Didnt feel like taking things appart,since its -10 C now,,so got some W40 and sprayed it into the ignition lock,,
whatever was sticking there loosened up and it shifts smooth as butter now..

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
Quick check of shift solenoid is to press brake and see if you hear/feel a click in gear shifter, if so the shift solenoid just released. If not, the solenoid is hanging up. Disconnect the cable at trans while in park and see if hard to move when cold, if so cable is sticky when cold, but warms up and works when hot. Either way I think the cable will need replaced...solenoid is part of cable on most vehicles, so I would plan on a cable.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Shift lock solenoid??? Read here...

https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/749ch-cant-shift-chevy-park-wont-go-reverse.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh