cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turn signal issue...

Resoman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Forest River popup with a turn signal issue. When headlights on the TV are off, the turn signal works fine. But when the headlights are on, the left turn signal jis hardly visible. When I crouch down a look at the tail light carefully, I can see that the turn signal filament is flashing, but it's overpowered by the regular tail light to the extent that it's effectively useless. The right turn signal does not have this problem, it works fine.
Is my problem likely wiring (which looks fine), the tail light fixture itself or the bulb?
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad ground. one of the turn signal lamps.. When your headlights are off the parking lights are also off. The turn signal grounds via the other half of the lamp.. Head and parking lights on that path is not open to them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You look specifically at where the lamp wire pigtail connects to the trailer frame

OR

If a butt connector is used with an extension, at the butt connector.

Put a new wire end on where the ground wire connects to the frame. Then shine the frame with sandpaper until it is bright. I use KEPS NUTS with a screw. They are harder to come loose. Tighten the snot out of it. Then smear Vaseline over the nut and bolt both sides.

Still dim with a problem?

Replace the butt connector

Still dim with a problem?

The issue is within the lamp's socket

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some tail/turn light assemblies have 3 wires; turn, tail, and ground. Some only have 2 wires, tail and turn, and use the metal frame assy as ground. And the metal frame of the light assembly is bolted to some part of the metal frame of the trailer since the trailer frame is ground back to the battery.

If you have three wires, then determine which wire is the ground wire and trace it to where it attaches to the trailer frame. If only two wires, then make sure the light assy frame is clean and well connected to the trailer frame.

I would also check the ground wire coming from your cord plug to make sure that wire has a good connection to the trailer frame.

Resoman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Pauljday!
As a matter of fact, I had the tail light repaired in September and the job ticket says "found loose ground at the tail light assy, tightened loose ground and tested".
Obviously, the problem is back. What do I look for in the wiring?

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Bad ground

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
YOu likely have a bad ground/negative connection at or near the failing bulb.......including a corroded socket.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"