cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US satellite reception for a Canadian in the US.

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
This may be in the wrong forum, please let me know if it is.

I am a Canadian that spends a large amount of time in the US in the winter. Canadian satellites do not work past a few hundred miles inside the US, if not less than that now. I would like to have satellite TV when staying in the US. Are there any Canadian's that have accomplished this with ease, if so how. I know I need a dish that has a LNB for the provider in the US, but the local RV dealer is tellin me I need a US billing address or American credit card, can anyone elaborate on their experiences please.
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension
12 REPLIES 12

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Tuzlo wrote:
Does Shaw or even Bell offer Internet thru Satellite?

Shaw and Bell Sats are for TV receivers only.

Xplorenet is the only Cdn Sat Internet.

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
Does Shaw or even Bell offer Internet thru Satellite?

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter I signed up with "Dish-to-Go" and did manage to make it work. I bought the dish and receiver at CampingWorld and communicated with Dish thru the number they provided. Make sure they know you are an RV customer and are signing up for the "Dish-to-Go" program. Others have said that if the agent you are dealing with seems confused, ask to talk to an RV-savvy rep who is familiar with the program.

You must have a valid US address and US phone number for the account that is NOT associated with an active Dish account. They did not object to my Cdn Mastercard and that is what I used to pay the bills. I did everything by phone or online, but they do send junk mail to the address you are using.

Do make sure you know their rules for cancellation and any costs or penalties you incur if you choose to cancel.

Due to a change in circumstances, I did cancel my account before I had a chance to make the account dormant, so I can't comment on that. Be aware that you can get a lot of the same US content that you get in Canada...except that there is NO Cdn content whatsoever. No Cdn news, sports etc. You will initially get the local channels surrounding your signup address and can change them as you move (once again I didn't have the opportunity to try this, but others on the program indicate that it works OK).

The hiccups involved in setting this up are primarily about billing...they want to be paid, and to collect their money if you don't. So long as you are intent on using this only while you are physically present in the US, I see no problem with using this service and to coming up with a "workaround" for the home address issue.

Ah! Final hiccup...turn off 'call display' (might work) or use local phone to contact them if you are using a Cdn cel as their 1-800 service apparently rejects international calls.
tfw

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
Tuzlo wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
Popsie wrote:
It seems that you could join Escapees and set up a mail address in Texas. Then you should be able to sign up for Dish or DirecTV services for use in the US.

The problem with this is both Dish and Direct require a USA credit card for billing.

That's what I have been told as well.
What about the credit cards you can buy at Walmart or Target or wherever as gift cards? You could buy a card, and when it got low, buy another and change your credit card number with Dish or DirecTV (I know you can do that easily online because I've done it before). As an Escapee member, you'll be giving them a US address, and the Walmart cards are from US Banks/American Express/etc.

After all, it's not like Dish and DirecTV don't want your business, they just want to be in compliance with the government rules. They aren't going to send out private detectives, they will be perfectly happy with a US address (Escapees) and a US credit card (bought from Walmart in the US). Where am I wrong with this thinking?

Won't work, as soon as you give them the card number they will know by the card number coding that it is not a true credit/debit card and it will be declined

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
As above, Shaw Direct will work any where down south, I swiched from BEL, and told Shaw that I will be traveling south for the winters ,they told me, no problem,
BTW
you can also put the service on hold for up to 180 days, if you do not require it while not traveling

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Shaw Direct works in AZ and NV etc etc

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Tuzlo wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
Popsie wrote:
It seems that you could join Escapees and set up a mail address in Texas. Then you should be able to sign up for Dish or DirecTV services for use in the US.

The problem with this is both Dish and Direct require a USA credit card for billing.

What about the credit cards you can buy at Walmart or Target or wherever as gift cards? You could buy a card, and when it got low, buy another and change your credit card number with Dish or DirecTV (I know you can do that easily online because I've done it before). As an Escapee member, you'll be giving them a US address, and the Walmart cards are from US Banks/American Express/etc.

After all, it's not like Dish and DirecTV don't want your business, they just want to be in compliance with the government rules. They aren't going to send out private detectives, they will be perfectly happy with a US address (Escapees) and a US credit card (bought from Walmart in the US). Where am I wrong with this thinking?

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Popsie wrote:

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer

cocos_cabana
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how far south you plan on going, you may need the bigger dish. We get good reception in Baja California Sur with Shaw. But not their hi def LNB...it's footprint is designed for use in Canada

We also have their 12v receiver - it's very compact and works well.

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
Shaw direct at least for now. Just do not tell them you are intending to use it in the US. Coverage for most of teir channels goes into Mexico. We have used it for years.