cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USB Charging Device 12v Socket/120v Adapter Tests

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

Following the other thread on this, I ran some tests that may be of related interest. In the photo the white adapter is a 5v-1A rated with 120v plug in. The other plug in is a 12-24v combo voltmeter/USB with two USBs, one is rated 5v-1A, and the other is 5v-2.1A

First issue was the combo is too short for the longer socket that has battery clamps on the other end. The regular 12v plug is long enough. But the shorter combo does fit in the TV panel socket and in the dash socket in the MH. (too short for the pointy end to reach the bottom and make contact)

I observed the voltage on the combo in the TV socket and the Trimetric to the battery bank. One of the questions in the other thread was why the big voltage drop as seen on the combo with only the device being charged in the combo as the load.

Results:
- Using a 300w inverter with 120v and USB, and a device down to 8% battery remaining, with the USB in the 120v adapter, amps went up from 00.8 before, to 1.2 -so load was 0.4a (Trimetric)
then USB into the 300w's USB port---amps went up 0.6a

-however, later on repeating that test, amps went up 0.5a either way, so perhaps the device was a little slow to get going accepting amps in the first case.

Moving over to the TV socket, using a 150w inverter with the 12v plug into a dual(split) set of sockets into the TV socket, with the combo in the other socket, and the 120v white adapter in the inverter (it has no USB) --amps jumped 0.5a as seen on the Tri, and the voltage on the combo dropped from 13.0 to 12.7--but voltage on the Tri only dropped 0.1 volt if that--not sure of voltage drop on the Tri, since the batts were slowly getting down from having the converter turned off.

Anyway, there was a big drop on the combo up at the TV 12v socket, and not much seen at the main house bank. (thin wires to the TV socket long distance)

So now testing the combo USB--not sure which one I used!--anyway same thing--0.5 amps on the Tri and voltage on the combo showed drop of 0.3v.

I did not test the combo USB for higher amp loads such as charging a laptop at 6 amps. I don't know if the USB amps ratings are just their rated ampacities and they will actually do more amps than that--at least till they get too hot--or what.

It was suggested you get USB ports that have higher amp ratings for faster charging if the device will accept more amps while being charged. Before that other thread with the info on that got started, I got a combo with lower amps USBs than some that are available, so read the specs.

I don't know if the various combos have long and short ones, or how deep the various sockets are in various places. Maybe I was just lucky the short combo works ok in the MH sockets and in the TC's socket.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
3 REPLIES 3

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent report. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried that short combo voltmeter/USB gizmo in the 2003 Chev truck and it worked ok, and then in a 2015 Chev Sonic car and a 2016 Ram Van and it worked ok. (except with the car and van I had to turn on the ignition, but not with the truck) and it also works with the MH and TC.

So the thing it does not work in, that is too long, is that adapter thing in the photo which you can buy that has clamps to go on a battery. The longer plug-ins like on the inverter and a 12v fan we have reach in that ok, but not that combo plug.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-dc-clamp-on-power-outlet/product/PA0004220011
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, that is certainly not a standard length for cig lighter ports..

Can't say I have ever run into a USB cig lighter style that short as everything I have laying around works fine in all of the cig sockets in vehicles and otherwise I have (I even have some sockets that even look like yours).

Guess you have to be careful of getting cheated on USB charger adapters now days.