cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voltage sense line/temperature sensor wires

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
I will have a second set of batterys on the tonuge that will have voltage sense line/temperature sensor wiring run to them from the CC etc.

During the ongoing house remodel, I removed the OLD multi strand phone line and replaced it with cat 5 cable.

Can this old phone line be used for the second battery wiring?
The distance will be right around 15-18' from the CC.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.
3 REPLIES 3

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the MS PWM; I ran 14 gauge wires for the voltage sense line when I rebuilt the wire/cable setup between my batteries and their clients. The distance is about 5-6 feet.
The temp sensor had sufficient wire length so I didn't need to add wire. The factory sensor has 18 or 20 gauge wire, if I recall.

As there is no load on the voltage/temp sense wires, I'd expect you can use the 22 or 24 gauge POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) wire.

The only issue I can see is that the POTS wire is solid where stranded may be better for longevity at the connections and it is a bit easier to route.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info,

This phone wire will be used ONLY for the senors etc for the MS MPPT CC, manual states I can have a second set of battery's hook up and read via the CC/invertor.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Not for primary power! But if you want to use them for remote voltage sense, they should work OK. The V-Sense is high impedance, but there might be some error in the temp sensor. Any I have ever played with or built requires calibration at the end of the wire that's being used. Can't say how severe the error though without the equipment spec's, particularly the thermocouple.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350