cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Volts and Dehumidifier

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
Two questions for those more experienced than me. We just returned from a 3 month trip to the west coast and into Canada. Along the way we did some dry camping for a few days at a time to improve our skills in that department.

My question is... My rig has a 7.5 kw generator which works great but I am still confused about when to run it to charge the batteries. We have a residential fridge. The display shows in volts and charged the batteries are consistently above 12.4.

As the day and night wears on the volts drop as we all know. I would run the generator a couple of hours in the morning and a couple more in the evening. If I could not run the generator at all the volts would drop below 12. Is there a number like 12, 11.8, 11.5 that I should definitely start the generator?

Second question. We purchased a dehumidifier. A really good one for when we are not traveling since we live on the Gulf Coast in a rainy area. I am running it on 40% now. Should it be lower or is 40% good?
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
22 REPLIES 22

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Try to not go below 50 percent.

Perfect. Finally something I can understand. Thanks you very much.
2018 Tiffin 34PA

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI would run the generator a couple of hours in the morning and a couple more in the evening.โ€œ

With the right batteries and an adequate solar system you wouldnโ€™t need to run the generator at all most days. Four hours a day...hate to be camping next to you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Try to not go below 50 percent.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes end of bulk is fine and up to 1 more hour. Much beyond that amps are tapering off so not as much value for the effort.

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 watt Pure Sine Inverter. I am not sure about the charging system. Whatever comes in a 2018 Tiffin I suppose. I am sure it is on the better side.

I have four Duracell Ultra Batteries that came with the coach when we purchased it last year.

I do have auto start but prefer not to use it when camping next to others. The charging voltage will get to 14.4+ volts with the generator running.

I do notice the charging stages. So it is ok to shut down after the bulk charge?

Thanks for the help so far.
2018 Tiffin 34PA

David & Ellen
Foley AL

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stages of charging wet cell batteries, bulk, adsorption and float.
To reduce gen run time just finish bulk charge, this is about an 80% charge.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
How much battery capacity do you have? Is that 12.4 under load? (i.e. fridge compressor running)

I'd be tempted to add one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Monitor-Meter-Wireless-DC-120V-100A-VOLT-AMP-AH-SOC-Remaining-Capac...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Around 12.2 would be a good time to start the generator. 12.0 would be the lowest. Consider adding an auto-start system.

You did not mention your charging system... does the charging voltage get to 14.4+ volts with the generator running?