cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Hearter Source For Full-Time

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
I live full-time in my 5th wheel. With that in mind, do you guys use propane or electric to heat your water.
Suggestions and why please.
Thanks guys,
David
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 5.9
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags
18 REPLIES 18

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Electric is cheaper for those that care.
Ele is free in campgrounds if you paid already.

The gas will create more exhaust heat than the electric element. The ele element is in the water so is closer to 100% efficency where the gas loses a lot of heat to exhaust fumes. The heat in the flu or chimney could cause acceleration of rusting or degradation of material. Unlike a refrigerator, the boiler has a very short run to the outside for the gas exhaust.

With gas you are heating the outside of the container (outside of the water) and you hear creaking and cracking. You hear less cracking with the electric. So, less metal expansion is happening, less metal fatigue overall with ele since the element is in the water and nothing gets over 180 degrees in the entire ele process.

Thank you:
That is exactly the information I was looking for. I see it more and more on this forum: "misinterpret what the question is, instead of reading the black part"!!

Think about this in relative terms, not stringent scientific terms as I know people will want to argue as if this were a scientific journal...
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Electric is the way to go if you have a choice.

You don't have to get it filled up.
There is less danger of fire.
There is no danger of CO poisoning.
If electric is included in your camp site fees then it's "free".
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run mine on electric whenever possible. Wife turns on gas on top of electric, she takes a LONG shower!

Electric/Propane water heaters are AWESOME!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
oldbiscuit and okhmbldr, neither of those statems makes much sense.. Can you explain?
Turn on electric once per week, run propane the rest of the time??? We will just keep on walking on that one..
6 gallon an hour recovery time? The heck does that even mean? recover time? he is heating water only.
These little 6 gallon heaters can heat water in 10-20 minutes. I dont think OP is in a race. He is just wondering which one to run. Most have suggested electric.

yup. as i wrote these days we're on electric virtually all of the time. we have thd heat assist while driving and apart from the very rare park power failure we have little need for the LP other than as a Plan B. we have a 10-gallon Atwood and can report from personal experience that there is ample hot water for another shower after ~ 15-20 minutes from the end of the previous...usually sooner in hot weather when less hot water is needed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldbiscuit and okhmbldr, neither of those statems makes much sense.. Can you explain?
Turn on electric once per week, run propane the rest of the time??? We will just keep on walking on that one..
6 gallon an hour recovery time? The heck does that even mean? recover time? he is heating water only.
These little 6 gallon heaters can heat water in 10-20 minutes. I dont think OP is in a race. He is just wondering which one to run. Most have suggested electric.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I had a pickup with a 100 gallon propane tank in the bed. It would run on both gas and propane. When my propane tank emptied the truck would begin to run rough, I would hit a button and it would switch to gas. I would run a full tank of gas thru the truck while I refilled the propane tank. Then I woul refill the gas tank.
Saying that; since you have a 250 gal. propane tank, why don't you just switch to electric about one day a week (or any time period that works for you) and keep everything in good working order.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2chiefsRus wrote:
I use electric when it is included in the price of the campground. I use propane when electric is not included and propane is readily available. I only turn on the water heater about 30 minutes before I plan to shower or wash clothes. Normally stays hot enough the rest of the day.

Likewise... Depends on the propane/electric price.. Some parks electricity may be cheaper but generally propane is. e
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ENG2242 wrote:
Problematic....
Well, as I stated/implied. are there any potential mechanical issues that may develop as a result of using either/or after a prolonged period of time. This is my 10th RV, so I am familiar with them. I've just never lived in one full time. I have a 250lb propane tank, so that's not the issue. Once again, is either/or going to cause parts failure over the other after pro longed use. I'm now being redundant in an attempt to clarify a fundamental question.
Regards,
David

Only problematic when one quits working.
Then you fix it and continue using it.

Electric is slowest recovery time --- roughly 6 gal/hr from initial fill (70*F water temp)
Propane is quicker --- roughly 10 gal/hr (70*F water temp)
BOTH at same time --- 16 gal/hr

Electric vs propane
If an Atwood brand then electric element can be difficult to access. It is installed from backside of WH Tank

If Suburban brand then elctric element is easier to access as it is in outside compartment under the burner tube

Both have all propane components in outside compartment and are easy to repair

Electric element issues are usually 'operator error' ---turning it on w/o water in tank
Propane issues are usuaully due to mud dabbers or spider webs interfering with propane flow (system is only 0.4psi)
Propane spark electrode getting sooty/carboned up WILL cause ignition failures

General routine 'housekeeping' goes a long way in preventing issues.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 250 gal tank at our S&B. We had ours filled last week, 248 gallons at $2.98 per gallon. I think electric is cheaper, but the gas is hotter and our electric water heaters were only lasting us about 3 years, just as the warranty ran out. We got a gas on-demand system, our power bill went down $50/month, but we also have the gas to pay for.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Electric would be easier to repair. Filling up propane tanks is a pain.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Both if electric is available. The electric stays on 24/7 and flick the switch to add the LPG before getting in the shower.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electric is cheaper for those that care.
Ele is free in campgrounds if you paid already.

The gas will create more exhaust heat than the electric element. The ele element is in the water so is closer to 100% efficency where the gas loses a lot of heat to exhaust fumes. The heat in the flu or chimney could cause acceleration of rusting or degradation of material. Unlike a refrigerator, the boiler has a very short run to the outside for the gas exhaust.

With gas you are heating the outside of the container (outside of the water) and you hear creaking and cracking. You hear less cracking with the electric. So, less metal expansion is happening, less metal fatigue overall with ele since the element is in the water and nothing gets over 180 degrees in the entire ele process.

Think about this in relative terms, not stringent scientific terms as I know people will want to argue as if this were a scientific journal...

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
Problematic....
Well, as I stated/implied. are there any potential mechanical issues that may develop as a result of using either/or after a prolonged period of time. This is my 10th RV, so I am familiar with them. I've just never lived in one full time. I have a 250lb propane tank, so that's not the issue. Once again, is either/or going to cause parts failure over the other after pro longed use. I'm now being redundant in an attempt to clarify a fundamental question.
Regards,
David
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You shouldn't have problems either way. Things to consider would be running on propane if you're on 30-amp electric that won't handle all the appliances at once or running on electric if you have to go a long way or too often to get propane. We're full-time and run the water heater on electric all the time (unless dry camping, of course). I don't like the haul the propane tanks to get them filled.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015