cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weird 12 volt problem ~ Solved!!!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wanted to relocate the 12v receptacle to a more convenient place for my Engel. Instead of moving the old one and leaving a hole I went to O Reillys Auto Parts and bought the same exact one that I have been using.

I mounted it about 15" apart from the other one. It won't run the Engel. It will run my inverter and my thermoelectric cooler but not the Engel!!! The original still runs the Engel just fine!!

:h:h:h
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
25 REPLIES 25

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
Went down to Idaho Marine today and got a 12 volt receptacle rated up to 20 amps. 8 gauge wire and connectors. Installed it all and my Engel runs great!!!

The automotive 12v went in the junk drawer!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

You do have a fuse in line correct. Your statement earlier (wired direct to the battery) suggests maybe not.

Ummm....no. The cooler has a fuse. Should I add an inline?

Yes. You are installing an unfused socket tied directly to the battery. Bad things can happen.

20 amp inline fuse installed. Thank you!!

Very good. Makes me sleep better....:)
Last question (hopefully not to late) wire gauge is 12AWG or larger?

Yes, 8 ga, but I couldn't find an inline fuse with 8 ga so I have a small section of 10 ga.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
Went down to Idaho Marine today and got a 12 volt receptacle rated up to 20 amps. 8 gauge wire and connectors. Installed it all and my Engel runs great!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

You do have a fuse in line correct. Your statement earlier (wired direct to the battery) suggests maybe not.

Yes. You are installing an unfused socket tied directly to the battery. Bad things can happen.

Very good. Makes me sleep better....:)
Last question (hopefully not to late) wire gauge is 12AWG or larger?
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

"Won't run" how? What happens when you plug it in and turn it on? Does it pop fuses, or stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner, or what?

You owe me a monitor and keyboard for that!!

I'm an IT guy and I WILL use that!!

Thanks.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a big fan for using anyof the 12VDC cigarette lighter type plugs. If I really really have to use one I will get a matched set from BLUE SEA that is rated for the high current needed and then I will direct connect this socket directly to a proper heavy AWG wire to the battery bank.

Have seen too many things go up in smoke around my high current two way radios to have any faith in them.

All of my INVERTER installations have been installed with remote control feature as close to the battery bank as possible with heavy gauge wiring and grounds. Then I run a 120VAC drop cord neatly hidden in WIREMOLD to where I need the resulting 120VAC coming from the Inverter.

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jhilley wrote:
I am also wondering what an Engel is. It may be that the socket is just slightly different and the center positive connector on the plug doesn't reach the contact in the socket.

I will answer that one.. An "Engel" is a high effiency compressor driven fridge or freezer... Exactly like the one to my immed right.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
peirek wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Heeeere's Mexi"

SNAP, SNIP, YANK, TWIST, CURSE, BEND, SPROING!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I am going to take a wild burro stab here and offer a suggestion that the "new" socket is not allowing some accessories full electrical contact between socket and plug. I went mad-dog with this problem several years ago and then did a Jack Nicholson with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers.

Now, everything is MARINCO marine grade, and no more poltergeist grade problems.

Poltergeist grade problems....stored for future use, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks everyone!!!

DJ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to take a wild burro stab here and offer a suggestion that the "new" socket is not allowing some accessories full electrical contact between socket and plug. I went mad-dog with this problem several years ago and then did a Jack Nicholson with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers.

Now, everything is MARINCO marine grade, and no more poltergeist grade problems.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had male plugs that work only when you hold it in the socket with your hand. You push it in, and it will push itself out just enough to loose contact. Inly solution I found was to replace the male plug.

I understand there are at least two different female receptacles, 5 amp and 15 amp (I think). From what I have seen, the boat shops have much better female receptacles, but you gotta pay.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke