cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Sticks to Coroplast?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of patches i need to make on the undercover of the fifth wheel.

Having trouble getting something to bond the coroplast to the under cover, which I assume is coroplast also.

My genuine gorilla tape does not do the job. Poor results with silicone also. I am also cleaning both surfaces with mineral spirits and drying first.

What is a guaranteed, never come off way to stick the patches on there?

I am thinking eternabond but if it works like my roll of gorilla tape, I would hate to invest the time and money.

thanks
26 REPLIES 26

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
RJCorazza wrote:
When I was building RC airplanes out of Coroplast I used a lighter to "flash" both sides of the material very briefly, then a very small amount of super glue will permanently bond.
The process is sensitive to the correct amount of heat, but once I got the hang of it very quick.

Same here. I generally use a butane torch. In the right light, you can see a slight change in the color of the coroplast as the heat passes over it. You don't want to heat it until it wrinkles, just enough to see that slight color change.

The Loctite brand of cyanoacrylate adhesive from Home Depot works best out of all the "CA's" currently on the market.

I melted / wrinkled quite a few pieces of Coroplast before getting the hang of it. I believe the terminology of the SPAD community of the time was "flashing" the surfaces. Those planes are indestructible!!!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mayo30 wrote:
Wind River wrote:
Eternabond tape will stick to Coroplast.

Yep works great,simple and fast no mess no fuss.permanent.

On Amazon enter: "Surface Shields", "Scrim Shield" - etc. intended for
"belly" of Mobile Homes.

less expensive than Eternabond - and....

One of those products has an xln't write up - which (surprisingly) includes a suggestion *when* to use Eternabond *instead* of their product.

(Maybe it's mfg by the same company?)

~

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
RJCorazza wrote:
When I was building RC airplanes out of Coroplast I used a lighter to "flash" both sides of the material very briefly, then a very small amount of super glue will permanently bond.
The process is sensitive to the correct amount of heat, but once I got the hang of it very quick.

Same here. I generally use a butane torch. In the right light, you can see a slight change in the color of the coroplast as the heat passes over it. You don't want to heat it until it wrinkles, just enough to see that slight color change.

The Loctite brand of cyanoacrylate adhesive from Home Depot works best out of all the "CA's" currently on the market.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 8 years or so I have made access holes in the Coroplast underbelly for every valve and access point there is !

I have found Gorilla tape the best tape for this job. If you clean the Coroplast properly the tape holds perfectly and when you need to gain access again and peel it off with no issues, no sticky mess from roofing tape.

If I ever get the urge I will section off the Coroplast so I can take off and replace the panels when needed, no tape just some screws or bolts. I'm thinking 3 panels should do it for my camper.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

austex
Explorer
Explorer
Helicopter tape? Clear or black...not cheap, tho.

http://www.racerstape.com/heli.html
Tom & Jessie
Central Texas
MVPRV(RIP) Coast 26LRBS TT

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I used eternabond on my corplast with mixed results. It seems that for eternabod to work well you need a fair amount of pressure on the joint when you install it. Not easily done on corplast in all places.

Next I tried scrimshield. That stuff made eternabond or gorilla tape look like cheap masking tape. I've never seen something with adhesive like scrimshield. once the adhesive touches the corplast (or itself or anything else) it's not going to move. that stuff is utterly amazing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so maybe contact cement after all ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I stiched mine with small holes and black tywraps (zip ties) and then put tyvak tape over the seam. After three years the tape is still in good shape

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a plan. Last eve I went out to the barn and did a test with contact cement. It worked great.

Am gonna go that route and fasten it up with sheet metal screws.

thanks folks

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Wind River wrote:

Yep works great,simple and fast no mess no fuss.permanent.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used coroplast for patching. I have several 3-sided flaps, that I just added over sized coroplast covers, held on with sheet metal screws. The screws have never loosened on their own, but are easy to remove for further access.

Jerry

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Dave H M wrote:
That is a good idea Mex.

That stuff is nasty to work with but may be the cat's meow.

Ford man, what kind of sealant are you referring to?

I just went to Lowes or Home Depot and got the maximum duty adhesive/sealant in black.. Don't have the bottle any more , but that's what I used..it was also in black ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet