cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whatever Happened to Kipor Generators?

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
I used to own a 1000 watt model. I never had any problems with it other than having to replace the Eco switch (a Kipor parts place wanted $48 for one; Radio Shack had a switch that worked for about $3). Just curious.
10 REPLIES 10

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Around 2004 to 2006 Kipor was sued by Honda for patent infringements over generator motors and parts. It has been a while since I read about it, but I believe a Chinese company was either manufacturing parts for Honda and went into business manufacturing the Kipor generators using Honda parts or was using Honda proprietary designs and manufacturing the generators.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Wrong subject

:@....:h

~

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, Kipor started raising prices and they ended up being close to Honda and Yamaha units. There wasn't a big enough price difference not to go with the H&Y generators.

then along came Champion, who became the new price leader and took away a lot of Kipor's business.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong subject
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back on 2006 KIPOR was the lower cost alternative to the Kings of the Road (Honda and Yahama) However I noticed that though the KIPOR was not louder than teh Honda or Yahama it was way more annoying (Quality of sound rather than amount of sound very hard to explain waveform).

I think what happend is all the Made IN China stuff that has come over with even lower and lower prices.... KIPOR is now a "high priced" brand.

Myself I want a Yahama EF-1200i, The Honda EU-1000 is too small.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a ke3500 for about 7 years. Sold it for what I paid for it. Pretty good resale value I would say. Darn good gen.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MrWizard
moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Seems to be around with lower price compared to Honda and about as quiet with 54 to 59 dB rating.
My old KGE3000Ti (2006) still runs fine but solar has made it obsolete.
Maybe it is time to sell.....

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like they're still going strong.

Kipor Web site

I didn't follow the link to Dealers, but like you I haven't seen any around for a while.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you're right. I haven't seen any of them in the ace hardware stores for quite a while now.