cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whatsa Quiet Water Pump?

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
(I searched around, but didn't see any specific topics on quiet water pumps on RV.net.) While out on a 18 day journey through Colorado, my wife said she'd finally had enough of the old original water pump. It sits right under the bed and I'm amazed it only took her 13 years to come to this point!

I'm looking at the Flojet Quiet Quad, which is a decently review one on Amazon. It sells for about $78, but at CampingWorld they have the Flojet Quiet Quad 2, which seems to have better specs for about the same price (both free delivery).

I have no idea what came original in this Rockwood, but she's right - it is annoying! ๐Ÿ˜ž (why we waited 13 years . . . I dunno!)

Any ideas about this Flojet pump or other ideas?

Thanks!
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!
26 REPLIES 26

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
The one the guy 2 campsites over has must be good because it's the only one I can't hear. :W

Dave

That must be quiet generators, not quiet pumps. I've "heard" about them ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously though, my loud pump was only loud in the trailer. Checked outside, with windows open, if it's loud enough for neighbors in the morning - no, wouldn't know it was running if didn't try to listen on purpose. It was getting louder when running the shower, - it has to work harder to push the water higher. Replaced it, anyway.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
(I searched around, but didn't see any specific topics on quiet water pumps...
The one the guy 2 campsites over has must be good because it's the only one I can't hear. :W

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Flojet pump was same loud when I was holding it in my hands, disconnected from the floorboards and from the output tubing.
Surflo 4008 was quieter and different tone.

You may try same thing - disconnect the output, put some small bowl there, undo the screws, hold it in your hands off the floor. Don't put your hands on bare DC terminals, of course.
If noise disappears, you don't have to buy a new pump.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
So bottom-line is most on here feel the pump connections and how it's mounted have more to do with the noise level than the pump itself.

Guaranteed. Remove any of these pumps from an RV, run it on your workbench, and you'd be shocked at how little the pump itself makes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
So bottom-line is most on here feel the pump connections and how it's mounted have more to do with the noise level than the pump itself.

Thanks everybody!
Hensley Hitch

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
TeryT wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
An accumulator tank will help with the noise by preventing the pump from kicking on as often. I installed a large one in the the same compartment as the water pump in the DP, very little plumbing to mess with that way. I'm having problems with where to install a large one in the 26' TT, may have to go to one of the small ones.

Bill
Many of the pumps I've looked at say NOT to use an accumulator. And the space is really tight, so not sure where I would even put one . . . but you're saying it will help with cut-on frequency, not with noise, right?

Yes, it doesn't turn on near as often.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
We finally replaced original pump in our 22 year old unit. It was always loud and occasionally would belch even when nothing was turned on. kids got us a new Flo jet which was on sale at CW. Let me tell you pumps have sure come a long way in 22 years. The new pump is so guiet we donโ€™t know when it is on. Great upgrade.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Pumps like our well pump and used in high end mhs. I looked up the information at one time but I have forgotten it. Not cheap but no vibration and insulation will get rid of any hum from the brushless motor. Vane type pumps I think is what they are called. A bit heavier and more room required but I remember, at the time, I had plenty of room. Maybe look at reinforcing mounting area.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Threaded connections on the pump are standard 1/2" IPS. Go to the home center and get a standard flexible faucet supply hose with 1/2" on each end and connect it between the pump and the output line (leave the input side alone). The hose will have a female fitting on both ends, so it will connect directly to the pump. Use a short brass nipple to connect the female on the new hose to the female on the output line. No tape or pipe dope necessary as these fittings have internal washers that seal against the edge of the fitting. Hand tight only, do not overtighten.

Turn the pump on and watch the hose vibrate like crazy! You are isolating the vibrations of the pump from the hard plastic PEX plumbing in the TT. This simple mod costs about $10 and will eliminate 90+% of your pump noise. Do this before you spend $$$ on a new pump.

I also added a 2 gallon accumulator tank because I had room under the sink by the pump. This means that you can flush in the middle of the night without the pump turning on, a big plus since yours is under the bed.
Thanks. And you know, now that you mention it, I think I did the flexible hose thing! (It was over 10 years ago so I forget.) When things cool off here in Phoenix, I'll hafta dig into the front compartment and see exactly what I did do back then!
Hensley Hitch

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
TeryT wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
An accumulator tank will help with the noise by preventing the pump from kicking on as often. I installed a large one in the the same compartment as the water pump in the DP, very little plumbing to mess with that way. I'm having problems with where to install a large one in the 26' TT, may have to go to one of the small ones.

Bill
Many of the pumps I've looked at say NOT to use an accumulator. And the space is really tight, so not sure where I would even put one . . . but you're saying it will help with cut-on frequency, not with noise, right?

You do not want to use an accumulator with a bypass of variable speed pump. It will circumvent the way the pump is designed to work and it will actually run more. An accumulator tank is great for the standard, single speed, non-bypass pump though, like the shurflow 3 GPM pumps so many RV's come with.
Wow - a pump mounted on a sponge (as per linked picture)! That looks serious and I never would have thought of that!
Hensley Hitch

Straylight
Explorer
Explorer
+1 to most of the comments here. Flexible hose on the outlet, rubber fittings and other mounting insulation, and an accumulator before you replace the pump itself. If that doesn't work, all of the things you added to the old pump will also serve to make the new pump as quiet as possible.

It may be that DW demands a pump replacement regardless of the improvement you see (well, hear) from the other interventions. In that case, you will have ventured into the hinterlands, where our knowledge cannot help you, and your only hope is for a straight road and a merciful god

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
TeryT wrote:

I believe there are more RV pumps that can be used with accumulator than pumps that can't. The one you initially mentioned can't.

Small accumulator by Shurflo is smaller than their 3GPM 4008 pump and can be screwed directly to the pump, connectors are included.

Yes, it helps with cut-in frequency only. But, when a pump mounted under bed starts cycling in the night every time one of you makes a quick trip to washroom, or in a daytime when you run a trickle of water to rinse a spoon - this is when it will help. Fewer cycles, less annoying. A lot of people tried accumulators and are happy, there isn't much to say here.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, flexible hose is cheap and quick. If it doesn't do the trick, move on to the bigger stuff.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Threaded connections on the pump are standard 1/2" IPS. Go to the home center and get a standard flexible faucet supply hose with 1/2" on each end and connect it between the pump and the output line (leave the input side alone). The hose will have a female fitting on both ends, so it will connect directly to the pump. Use a short brass nipple to connect the female on the new hose to the female on the output line. No tape or pipe dope necessary as these fittings have internal washers that seal against the edge of the fitting. Hand tight only, do not overtighten.

Turn the pump on and watch the hose vibrate like crazy! You are isolating the vibrations of the pump from the hard plastic PEX plumbing in the TT. This simple mod costs about $10 and will eliminate 90+% of your pump noise. Do this before you spend $$$ on a new pump.

I also added a 2 gallon accumulator tank because I had room under the sink by the pump. This means that you can flush in the middle of the night without the pump turning on, a big plus since yours is under the bed.