cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where To Buy 3/4" Contersink Tomorrow

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be really pressed for time so grid searching is out of the question.

I need a 3/4" model for plastic and aluminum. With a 1/4" or 3/8" shank

Has anyone of you actually bought one in a Home Depot or Lowe's?

Harbor Freight models have more 1-star ratings than all the other ratings combined - I'll pass -- would not countersink 60F butter I guess.

I am at my medical hideout for the next 10 days.
10 REPLIES 10

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Note that the cut out for a 120MM computer fan, for the least possible restriction to airflow, is not a round 120MM diameter hole.

A good mechanical pencil through the fan and around the hub supports should be able to trace the interior of the fan. There will be 4 flats joined by an arc that is not that of a 60MM radius from the center.

I did this recently and once I installed the fans on the 1/4 inch plywood, I came back with the dremel and 1/2 inch sander wheel and bevelled the edge so that any air exiting the fan at a wide angle met Zero additional restriction.

Makes for a quieter, more efficient fan if the fan is mounted to pull, or push air through the shroud.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Ryobi 8 volt variable speed 3/8" lithium drill that manages to give me superb control ability. The type of plastic the Rigid box is made of likes to leave streamers and long buzz whiskers on the other side of a hole. I will also use the countersink on holes drilled in Lexan for this project and then around the circumference of a hole for a 120mm muffin fan.

Yes I looked at a quality single Silver & Deming 7/8" drill but the thirty dollars was a turn-off as was the 1/2" shank.

The 1/4" thick lexan plate is going to be tapped for 1/4" x 28 bolts.

I am using external tooth lockwashers on 1/2" switches and the 11 position rotary switch uses an 1/8" anti rotation tang which means drilling an 1/8" hole.

This is a true "Buck's Up" battery charger and the fit and finish is going to reflect that fact.

One feature - Twist the timer to start the charger. A built in 10 second delay timer allows the set voltage to be displayed for that long before a solenoid engages power out through the cables. Ten seconds is long enough to reset the 11 position voltage selection switch if for whatever reason the first choice is in doubt. All eleven settings are purpose-tasked not just ambiguous voltage settings. A 12 hour timer allows for instance a proxy voltage that mimics alternator setpoint voltage. There is a "tweaker" multi turn potentiometer that will precise tune in 16.0 volts for equalization, and 14.4 volts for AGM absorbsion charging. The theoretical 1.8 kAh timed capacity allows for a number of 8-D AGM batteries to be charged in parallel.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were in TN, I would give you one. I have one but prefer my hand tool for that job. Less chance of screwing something up very badly very quickly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Friend jiffy-popped a Ford diesel spark plug on his early Ford van V10 on the way up on a 500 mile drive. So it's 300 miles on 9 cylinders.

He is a heavy equipment mechanic. He knows the drill. We were supposed to go north today.

This city has proper facilities to fix garbage grade engines.

I called and the USA Home Despot has the countersink. The Mexican Home Depot's tool manager remarked "What's that?"

The link provided the part number and the USA store manager diddled it on his store computer. He has (4)

MIL GRACIAS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Building the 150-amp Meanwell battery charger. Softening holes through polystyrene cabinet. Switches, LED pilot lights wind - up timer. Some plastics do not powder they tend to string when cut.

Accessing USA stores websites from down here is awful.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get the 3/8 shank. Its more stable under hard load.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
All this over a twelve dollar item?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Here it is...

Counter sink bit.

Home Depot

Home Depot

Lowes
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Counter sinking a 3/4 inch hole??? What are you building this time??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
A big drill will do in a pinch.