Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which battery isolator relay

grodnay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I just bought a 1992 Jamboree on a Ford E350 chassis. I noticed that the chassis alternator will not charge the aux battery.

my understanding is that the left switch in the picture is:

down - aux is disconnected from chassis
middle - aux connected to chassis when ignition switch is on
up - aux connected to main for emergency start.

Is that so?

If so - sometime it works and sometimes not... I am almost sure that the battery isolator relay is defective, and it is not the original.
How many amp should the replacement relay be? 80Amps for $20? 200Amps for $50? more?

Help is appreciated,
-Guy
11 REPLIES 11

grodnay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll replace the switch.

JimandMary
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to use the starter relay, Make sure that it is for 12 V. Some ford relays operate on 9v and won't last long on 12v.

Jim

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have Jamboree same year - the emergency start switch is on the thin one on right and should release when you let go. When depressed you should hear the solenoid engage.
Kevin

grodnay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I'll go for a 200amp continuous relay. This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEBXRS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think my RV emergency start switch was modified at some point, because now it is a three state rocker switch. It just stays in what ever position you put it, and the two lower positions seems to be the same. Should have been a two state momentary rocker switch, which pops back to off position when released, right?

-Guy

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
buzzard616 wrote:
Most OEM manufacturers use a simple starter relay like this one . You can get one at an auto wrecker for even less. They're rated for enough amperage to start a cold car and as for reliability they usually last the life of the vehicle.Stu

Starter relays are NOT continuous duty and are NOT used by OEM coach manufacturers.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I think Kevin has it right. I had to replace the solenoid on my previous Class A. Details & pics at this link: http://2manytoyz.com/bcc.html

Make sure you replace it with a solenoid rated for continuous duty.

Here's the exact solenoid I used: http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24059-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B000Y82X4E
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The two switches you see have nothing to do with your problem. The one on the left is the battery disconnect switch - it simply takes the coach battery off line and is controlled by an battery disconnect intellitec relay located in the engine compartment. The switch on the right is for emergency start.

The battery isolator solenoid your looking for probably looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-7000-Terminal-Battery-Isolator/dp/B0002UHVYQ - mine is located high up on fire wall in engine compartment.

The battery isolator solenoid separates the coach and chassis batteries so you don't accidentally drain your chassis battery. When you turn the ignition key the solenoid is energized allowing the batteries to connect and the alternator to charge both batteries. They tend to stick on occasion - sometimes rapping with hammer is enough to jar loose - replacements are not expensive and available at any auto parts house.

The battery isolator is the same solenoid that is used for the emergency start feature. However since this feature is used when the chassis battery is dead the emergency start switch uses power from the coach battery to energize the solenoid.
Kevin

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
Most OEM manufacturers use a simple starter relay like this one . You can get one at an auto wrecker for even less. They're rated for enough amperage to start a cold car and as for reliability they usually last the life of the vehicle.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
My local NAPA had a 100% duty cycle 200amp for $75 - I walked out quickly
Went to another local shop and they had the same one for $65 walked again
Look on line - Graingers and many other places have them (the exatc same device NAPA offered me) for $20 or thereabouts

As others stated
Continous duty aka 100% DC
200amp

If you can check the coil current - I have found the higher current comsumption the hotter they run some get really hot when activated for hours at a time

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure which ever one you get, that it is a continuous duty solenoid. I would spend the extra bucks and get a 200amp.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Forklift relay rated at a maximum of 125 amps and 100,000 on-off cycles before the silver alloy contacts go bad. $18 from Grainger.com 6C017 if I can recall the part number correctly.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com