cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wifi signal amplifier

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at getting rid of direct tv at home and in our rv. The support since AT&T took over as gone to almost nothing along with the price constantly going up. Tried to resolve with them but I've had enough. I'm looking at some of the streaming services, which I don't think will be a problem at home, and really won't lose anything except cost. The rv will probably be a different story. We camp at the same campground, set up annual on the same site. There is wifi in the campground, but it is very weak at best. There are two extenders, I believe in place now. The only way I can use the wifi is basically stand under the extender, which are both mounted on electrical poles. What I have read and researched so far, the extenders that are available will only extend the signal that is present, which in my case is almost non existant. Has anyone come up with a way to amplify a weak signal that is originating around 1000ft away? I'm afraid even if this is possible, all my neighbors would benefit from it and load the signal up and I wouldn't be any better off. Just some thoughts, before the season starts. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Kevin and Beth Todd
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38 FLSA
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn
16 REPLIES 16

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't be planning on doing any streaming with campground wifi. Even with a good signal, almost no campgrounds have the bandwidth to support this, especially with more people attempting it.

I'm staying with DTV for several reasons:

Streaming allows no recording (that I'm aware of.) I record everything. I can get a signal virtually anywhere. I rarely need support.

Yeah, it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck picking up wifi with a Ubiquiti Bullet and an external directional antenna.