cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will fridge run off tow vehicle on batts on TT?

arcsum68
Explorer
Explorer
Simple question, but I cannot seem to find an answer. Every search results in "will my TV charge the batteries".

Normally wouldn't care, but here's the scenario. Just got a new to me TT but I plan to keep the 2x 6volt batteries from my old trailer. To make them fit I need to make some modifications but its going on a trip before I will do that.

So, will the fridge stay powered by the TV on until I get to the site where I can throw the 2 golf cart batteries on the tongue temporarily?
2005 Ford F150 5.4 Super Crew
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS
33 REPLIES 33

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get a chunk of dry ice .

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what brand paint will you spray on the metal? Ive got some frame rust around my battery box that has needed attention.

arcsum68
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! Sounds like I should have a battery for safety reasons. I am a safety 3rd kinda guy at camp, but on the road I take it seriously, so I will make sure I have a battery. I can make it work, just didn't want to have to.

On the plus side, got my angle iron and square tube earlier than expected so I should be able to put something together to store the 2 golf cart batteries before I leave anyway.

As per usual, this forum pretty much kicks ass.
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question directly, yes, the fridge will run directly off your 7 pin connection. It would be better to have the batterys on board but a propane fridge only takes about an amp to run so it's no problem for the vehicle to keep up.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Our fifth wheel towed by F350 dual alternators had a 20 amp cartridge type fuse. It was charging or keeping the batteries in the fifth wheel charged and the refrigerator freezer was getting electricity..through the batteries. I hadn't thought about it but it did have a converter charger in it. The factory sent me a second vented battery box an cables. It was a Holiday Rambler Alumiscape. It had two 12 volt deep cycle maintenance free batteries.
Most of the wiring harnesses offered for connection between Fifth wheel or Trailer and the tow vehicle are really inadequate. I bought a heavy 10 gauge wired plug and leads Trucks and Trailers and soldered the connections and heavy shrinked them too. No way the flimsy 14 gauge wires on most would carry the 20 amp rated fuse load, imo.
if you don't have the capacity in your towed RV simple enough to buy the converter charger and wire it and..be sure to use battery boxes and vent hoses to the outside.

How did you run the converter charger going down the road? Generator in the trailer running?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
arcsum68 wrote:
There will be no battery, it needs to go in the Nash that I am selling.

And Yes, TW = Tow Wehicle. LOL, sorry about that.

And it is a 2 way fridge and would be on propane.

Federal LAW requires a fully charged functional battery in trailer while towing to activate the Emergency Breakaway----required to maintain voltage/braking for 15 minutes should trailer become disconnected from tow vehicle.

Just saying....you will not be safely towing regardless of distance/time frame

As for fridge...
Tow vehicle '7 pin CHARGE' line is intended to charge/maintain trailer battery voltage while towing.
W/O trailer battery----fridge will not have DC for controls/gas valve because tow vehicle alternator/voltage regulator will not 'see' the fridge DC demand.

Buy a CHEAP 12V battery and toss it in the trailer........!~!

I find it hard to believe that the tow vehicle differentiates between the trailer battery and the truck battery. My guess is the two batteries wires are just tied together at some point and the computer sees the two as one big battery.

One easy way to find out. plug the 7 way umbilical into the truck and start the truck up. Then go into the trailer and see if the interior lights come on. If the lights come on then the refrigerator should work on gas.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I turn my fridge off while traveling and done this for 6+ hour trips with no harm to contents of items in fridge.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œwhere I can throw the 2 golf cart batteries on the tongue temporarily?โ€œ

You can throw them anywhere but if those batteries arenโ€™t fully recharged daily youโ€™ll shorten their life considerably.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our fifth wheel towed by F350 dual alternators had a 20 amp cartridge type fuse. It was charging or keeping the batteries in the fifth wheel charged and the refrigerator freezer was getting electricity..through the batteries. I hadn't thought about it but it did have a converter charger in it. The factory sent me a second vented battery box an cables. It was a Holiday Rambler Alumiscape. It had two 12 volt deep cycle maintenance free batteries.
Most of the wiring harnesses offered for connection between Fifth wheel or Trailer and the tow vehicle are really inadequate. I bought a heavy 10 gauge wired plug and leads Trucks and Trailers and soldered the connections and heavy shrinked them too. No way the flimsy 14 gauge wires on most would carry the 20 amp rated fuse load, imo.
if you don't have the capacity in your towed RV simple enough to buy the converter charger and wire it and..be sure to use battery boxes and vent hoses to the outside.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
arcsum68 wrote:

Federal LAW requires a fully charged functional battery in trailer while towing to activate the Emergency Breakaway----required to maintain voltage/braking for 15 minutes should trailer become disconnected from tow vehicle.

As for fridge...
Tow vehicle '7 pin CHARGE' line is intended to charge/maintain trailer battery voltage while towing.
W/O trailer battery----fridge will not have DC for controls/gas valve because tow vehicle alternator/voltage regulator will not 'see' the fridge DC demand.

x2

Alternatively if you have a vehicle battery that is up there in years, buy a new one for the vehicle and use the old one for the breakaway while underway.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
arcsum68 wrote:

As for fridge...

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
arcsum68 wrote:
it's only a 2 hour trip, as long as I get it nice and cool before we go.
You're good with that. Just be darn sure those 2 batteries are healthy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
With no battery in the trailer and only a 2 hour drive, I would absolutely just pre-cool the refrigerator and turn it off.

Or, even better, freeze a couple of quart soda bottles and place them in the refrigerator for the trip.

I would be a little concerned about running the refrigerator directly off the TV with no battery in the trailer-- the refrigerator PC board may not appreciate the voltage spikes. Yes, minor risk, but why risk it at all.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

arcsum68
Explorer
Explorer
Worst case scenario, I imagine it will stay cold enough as its only a 2 hour trip, as long as I get it nice and cool before we go.
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
No they won't.