cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xantrex TrueCharge 2 40A died

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I loved this charger because it had so many features our converters don't have. Adjustable for different battery technologies, equalization to 15.5 volts, power factor corrected and the big one for me is temperature compensated. My RV can see from 115F to 0F and I leave it plugged in 24-7 when in storage. It can be easily forced into bulk mode by simply powering it down for one minute and turning it back on and it goes straight to 14.4V.

It lost DC output. I have checked the 2 reverse polarity fuses and was told there is a fuse on the mainboard. I pulled the cover and checked that fuse as well...all good. I see nothing out of the ordinary inside on the circuit board except a large capacitor (450V 470mfd) that is slightly swollen on top. I have no way of knowing if it is bad or if it is the problem.

I called a couple of Xantrex service centers and was told the same thing by both of them. These are non repairable throw-aways if out of warranty.

This is an installed redundant charger and my other charger is a PD 75A deck mount. I am good to camp but I'll miss the versatility of having a smaller charger that will run on my 2K inverter generator verses having to run the 5.5K Onan to run my 75 amp charger.

I am mostly dissappointed that this a $360 charger from a company like Xantrex is considered non repairable.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
7 REPLIES 7

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stopped selling and installing Xantrex cheapie converter/chargers two years ago, due to multiple failures I would consider premature, based on use. Unless customers bought Xantrex Freedom series units, they got garbage.

"The TrueCharge 2 is the new (gray) replacement for the old TrueCharge 20/40+ (yellow). Two different machines. Two different eras. Two different technologies."

I'm sorry for your situation.
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ooooo Fred...

You had or have the marine model 1512. When Xantex lobotomized Trace they brought their own line of Chinese developed chew & spit control circuits. I've tried running down Sanscrit marked components to no avail on Xantrex stuff. Four inverters same wattage 10 years. Every circuit was different. Would love to know function of HSOSANI 8083 SMD 12 legs. The board I have here has the legs blown off one side. Looks like a 5+ control circuit. These junk designs are meant for exchanging under warranty or recycling outside of warranty. Go figure.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Call the people at solaronsale.com

They repaired my Trace inverter back in 1999, and it has been working great since that time. Sure the repair was $450 on a inverter that when new was only $750. I had plugged into a 120 volt circuit with the neutral and 120 volt wires reversed. . . My M1512 inverter has a neutral to ground relay that is not found in most other inverters.

I have a true charger 20 amp, and yes it is nice. Did you know that even if left plugged in for 30 days, it will go into a bulk mode on it's own? It is one of the features talked about on a Home Magazine article written before I bought mine, (back in the 90's).

It seems like it would be worth it to try replacing the capacitors and see what happens. I was listening to a radio repairman at my work, and I bought him a portable radio charger with a bad fuse on it, that was blown. They first checked the rectifiers, and found a shorted rectifier in this charger.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks PT, I sent him a PM.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A slightly bulged top 680uf 200vdc electrolytic cap was what alerted me to what happened to Jim In Denvers Megawatt. If the unit uses TO247 size rectifiers pull them and test with a DMM. Same for the BiPolar Transistors. It would be rather low percentage for both the control and power circuits to fail simultaneously. If you cannot find fault checking the power discrete components then tge outlook is bleaker. I use a rude and crude method to weed out bad large electrolytic caps. I use a 1000piv diode and charge the cap. I wait overnight and then compare remaining voltage with a known good cap. It's not quite an ESR grade test but it separates the stallions from the geldings ha ha.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would put a new cap in just for fun. Go a little higher on the voltage rating.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CJW8,

Talk to our friend KJINTF in Montana. He repairs converters, inverters and chargers.

I agree that it is a shame that we live in a throw away society.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.