Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yamaha EF2400ishc inverter/generator question

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.
I have a Yamaha EF2400ishc inverter/generator.
Bought it new in 2010.
It's been a great generator.
In the last few months it's been sputtering after a few minutes of run time. It will do this whether or not there is a load. I use a 1500 watt space heater and a fan set on high for load testing.
The carburetor has been rebuilt. Oil changed. New spark plug with gap checked. Gas tank drained and new gas put in.
I think I've narrowed it down to the MOTOR UNIT ASSY part number 7CF-81802-19-00.
My question is, what does this part do for the carburetor?
Thanks in advance.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler
11 REPLIES 11

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
Got a bottle of SeaFoam this past weekend.

I was able to run the generator/inverter for two hours without sputter.

I was also able to find a gas station 30 miles from the house that sells non-ethanol gas.

Thanks Tom.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
brant_c wrote:
Thank you gang.
Love this site.
I will get SeaFoam and begin using.

As for using non-ethanol gas...I have not seen any stations in my area that sells non-ethanol gas.

I only run non-ethanol gas in my generator or lawn equipment.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Try:
https://www.pure-gas.org
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you gang.
Love this site.
I will get SeaFoam and begin using.

As for using non-ethanol gas...I have not seen any stations in my area that sells non-ethanol gas.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
It's possible but I don't know what the troubleshooting procedure would be. Before you spend the bucks to replace it, try running a heavy dose of Sea Foam through it. My 1000 watt Yamaha would run rough unless partial choke was used. I ran some Sea Foam through it and that cleared it up.

Tom's suggestion is top notch. I have a riding lawn mower that got to where it wouldn't start unless I used starting fluid (ether) sprayed into the carb. Even after starting, I had to keep it partially choked. Before spending money on it, I bought some Seafoam and ran the mower with double strength Seafoam in it for a season. At the end of the season, the mower was starting like a champ and running like a sewing maching. After that, I use seafoam, at recommended concentration, in everything I own that takes gasoline, except the cars.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would go the route Tom suggested and if that does not do it, take a relook at the carb.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Whether fuel has anything to do with or not, DO NOT use gas with ethanol. Small engines don't handle it well and it can cause breakdown of non metal components.

Since not using ethanol gas in my small engines I have virtually eliminated running problems.

When traveling I will not go out of my way for non ethanol and only use it when easily available, using ethanol gas as needed. But the last tank for my Honda gen is always non ethanol and run it dry before storing.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Whether fuel has anything to do with or not, DO NOT use gas with ethanol. Small engines don't handle it well and it can cause breakdown of non metal components.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible but I don't know what the troubleshooting procedure would be. Before you spend the bucks to replace it, try running a heavy dose of Sea Foam through it. My 1000 watt Yamaha would run rough unless partial choke was used. I ran some Sea Foam through it and that cleared it up.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply Tom.
In your opinion, could this part go bad and cause the sputtering?
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It's a servo motor that positions the throttle. It's part of the electronic governor system.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN