Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Appropriate tow vehile

MikBeth
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Everyone, 

Does anyone have a Rockwood 8264BHS? We are trying to find out what the best option would be for our tow vehicle. We have a 2021 jeep Grand Cherokee and we're told, at time of purchase it would pull the rv with no problem. What we weren't told was that the jeep, with a V6 is pushing the lower limit of being able to pull it and we have found that it is completely and utterly unsafe to do so. Never trust a salesman! Do your own research before hand! We are learning the hard way. 

I am trying to figure out if a Ram 1500 crew can with a hemi would be a safe choice for towing or if we need to look at a full size SUV (or. Yukon, Suburban, Expedition etc.) or just go for a Ram 2500 crew can diesel. I know both the Ram 1500 and 2500 have the power to pull the rv, I am more concerned about the ability to pull the rv as safely as possible. Our jeep just doesn't have the weight to rv weight ratio to make pulling it or stopping it safe not to mention the lack of power. 

Any help from experienced RVers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 

MikBeth

6 REPLIES 6

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

I pulled up the specs, 8279lb dry with 1521 payload, so a GVWR of 9800lb. GVWR is a good preliminary estimate of what the trailer will weigh going down the road.

Your V6 Jeep was never even close to being within ratings. The V6 has a max tow rating of 6200lb and a payload of 1260lb. Your trailer is 50% over the tow rating and you should be looking at 1200-1500lb hitch weight (which counts against payload and you want in the 12-15% range for good towing), so you are at or over payload before putting a single person in the Jeep or anything else for that matter. 

1/2 ton trucks get tricky. There are rare models with up to 2500lb of payload that you might get to work but the vast majority have payloads in the 1000-1600lb range. They won't be significantly better than the jeep. If you are set on a half ton truck, really watch the ratings and as way2roll said, lots of other things count against payload.

Honestly, I would jump straight to 3/4 ton trucks. At the low end, they have payloads in the 2800-3000lb range, so you can handle the hitch weight and still take people and gear in the truck. While diesel is nice, it's overkill. I would look for the larger gas engine (6.0-7.5l depending on brand). That will handle a 10k trailer comfortably. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

This is a math problem. You need to know a few things. the weight of the TT loaded for travel (water, food, gear, etc). You need to know the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the tow vehicle and you need to know the tow vehicle's weight - with people, fuel gear. The difference of the GCWR and the weight of your tow vehicle will tell you your capacity. If that is more than the weight of the loaded travel trailer, you are good to go. You hav eto be careful with advertised towing capacity on trucks. They do not account for fuel, gear, people etc. 4 people and gear can easily chew up 1,000 lbs. Then there is the trim level. Everything that is added to the truck adds weight and thus decreases your capacity. Then there is hitch and tow ratings for the tow vehicle itself. It is always the lesser of these factors. You are talking about a 30 foot travel trailer weighing almost 8,500 lbs dry and empty. That's a lot of trailer. I would give the salesperson an earful. Unsafe with the Cherokee is an understatement. I am not sure a 1500 series truck has enough capacity. But you can look those figures up on line. You probably need a truck with at least 10k capacity. Most 150/1500 series hover around 6-10k depending on how equipped. You cannot have too much truck. It's easy to have too little as you are finding out. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

What are you trying to tow, like a 27 foot bunkhouse or a 20 foot singles trailer? How many people are going to be traveling with you in the tow vehicle, and will the tow vehicle have to double as a daily driver?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Hello and thank you for the response. 

Yes we need to tow a 27' bunkhouse, there will be 4 of us traveling and the vehicle will double as a limited daily driver but I am retired and it will mostly be used for running local errands and such

How the hell did you even get it home with a 6 banger JGC?  Lol. 
Yes get a stout half ton with bags or wdh if you need sway control. Or a 3/4 ton. 
However given your lack of experience and knowledge towing, Iโ€™d go straight for a HD truck. You will be more comfortable towing with it. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I would suggest a 2500 for a dodge. "Generally speaking" as the 1500 dodges have usually been the softest, lightest capacity and payload of the full size 1500 models. You will probably want a minimum of 1800-2000 lbs of payload. 1000 lbs for 4 people, and 1000 lbs for a ball mount. 1500 if you go 5w.

Yes my 1000 lbs of people may be too much....but include extras such as food, books, first aid kits etc, not included in normal weights with clothes on. Most of us have 5-20 lbs of clothes on. Summer shorts tee shirt, to winter with boots, coats etc.

My GM handles 2000 lbs just fine, including people, Ball hw etc. I have a 4000 lb rear end capacity. I've seen dodges as low as 3000. GM has an option for a 450/, Ford iirc a 5000 lb RA.

Even my 4.3 V6 has the power to pull 7-8000 lbs better than many BB V8s of your!

In your case, mine too, the old 8600 8 lug suspension 25 would be perfect vs the monster gcwr with a bit more, but not that much more payload than today.

Keep some of this in mind too

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer