Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil recommendation for 2022 6.6 Duramax

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II

I ran Chevron oil for many years. 
Rethinking that, not as a result of it being an inferior oil, just that availability can be an issue. I live on the west coast where Chevron products are readily available.  

A number of years ago, we were following civil battle sites down the east coast/ Mississippi River in our 2000 motor home, when it was due for an oil change.  I was at Gettysburg PA, I could not find Chevron products anywhere. I switched to NAPA brand (which is Valvoline) because I was seeing Valvoline at a numbers truck stops and of course NAPA stores. Over here, even finding it occasionally at Walmart. 

Wondering what engine oil you well traveled Duramax owners are running? And as a side, how many miles between oil changes? 

Thanks in advance.  

4 REPLIES 4

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Just pick an oil that meets the manufacturer specs. So long as you do changes per the manufacturer schedule, it's nothing to get 200-250k miles out of a modern engine and even then, most go to the junkyard with the engine just fine.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Not all engines or oils are created equal. 
The fire district that I am associated with has lost 3 power stroke Diesel engines with the highest mileage being 110,000 mi. In the past 12 months. All 2009 or newer.  They are all properly maintained per manufacture specs and schedule. Fluids were checked after every run. Oil sent in and analyzed bi- annually.  A little less than 10 yrs ago the district changed oil brand as a result of oil analysis. The oil we are using now shows far less breakdown than the oil we were using. 
I’ve been a Ford truck owner all my life. Not so much these days. 

Fire trucks are actually a hard use case. Start it up and floor it before it has a chance to get the oil flowing and warm up at all. Then drive like a bat out of hell for 5 miles before shutting down. 

Much different from an RV, where you start it up a few minutes before pulling out nice an easy and then getting up to speed on the freeway and running with a fully warmed up engine for a few hours. Same reason semi trucks get 500k out of an engine...it's an ideal use case for maximizing engine hours.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski

I run Deli in ALL the diesels I've owned. 7 or 8 total. As a west coaster, easy to find. I've not been to the Midwest or East Coast enough to know about the why it's not available.

With above said, if I was on the road for many miles and months, delo was not available, I'd put in what is available. As long as it met latest and greatest specs. I'm positive there are differences between brands, reality, probably not enough to truly worry about. If possible, get the same style, ie synthetic or non as you are running currently.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer