cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Haulers

rgus
Explorer
Explorer
The Boss and I are retired and have decided to travel in the winter and maybe in a year or two make it full time. We want a toy hauler so that we can take the bikes with us. This is absolutely new territory for both of us so we are trying to look at different units. We like the Raptor series but don't know anything about the history and costs, maintance or even if we should be looking at a different manufacturer. You guys that have done this a while please give us the benefit of your knowledge. Things wee should look at etc.
34 REPLIES 34

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
If I did it all over again, I would get a fifth wheel race hauler, 20 foot garage, 20' - 28' living space.

With 8" ground clearance dragging on every dip in the road. Been down that road b4

they don't all have 8" clearance
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
The Raptor 398TS has a 14 foot garage which
should be plenty. We love our Raptor.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
If I did it all over again, I would get a fifth wheel race hauler, 20 foot garage, 20' - 28' living space.

With 8" ground clearance dragging on every dip in the road. Been down that road b4
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

BERT306
Explorer
Explorer
^hopefully you can accurately describe your camper and possibly save the next perspective buyer 13 hours of driving

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Weekend Warrior with the open floor plan. We are starting to think about downsizing and will probably be selling the toy hauler and going back to a truck camper. We really liked the open floor plan.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
rgus wrote:
Will do TY I am guessing the biggest garage we can get in a normal Toy Hauler is the 12X8 so we are going to have to make it work. I don't think either of us will give up the living space for an open hauler since we are thinking of doing this full time. No disrespect to those that have. A full dress Harley might not fit but I bet my heritage classic will but it will be a pain gee gawing it around to make it fit. Mama says she knows others that takes a spyder and a Harley and we will see how they do it.

That Heritage is a lot closer to the ground than an Ultra. You will have watch when you roll over the hinge. But for sure is much easier to move around. (My daughter has one and keeps it at my place.)
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I see your in Indiana, they have the Boat Sport and Travel show going on through this weekend at the fairgrounds and for a change they have several toy haulers there to walk through and you can talk to factory reps also. We went last weekend to see the motorcycle expo. There are several haulers with 13-14ft garages also...the Fusion 417 we looked at had a 13ft garage and a decent layout.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
rgus wrote:
Will do TY I am guessing the biggest garage we can get in a normal Toy Hauler is the 12X8 so we are going to have to make it work. I don't think either of us will give up the living space for an open hauler since we are thinking of doing this full time. No disrespect to those that have. A full dress Harley might not fit but I bet my heritage classic will but it will be a pain gee gawing it around to make it fit. Mama says she knows others that takes a spyder and a Harley and we will see how they do it.

Get out some masking tape and layout the footprint of the garage and see if you can make it fit remembering it will be much tougher with walls in your way.

Don't discount the open floor plans, they make some pretty nice ones now. Hit the RV shows or the outdoor shows, anywhere they sell "action toys" will have a good selection of toy haulers.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Nonsense
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Voltage 3818, has an 18' garage. We can get two RZR's in it. I'd imagine if your spyder is almost 9' long you would be able to get it and the bike in the garage without much of an issue. The long garage does cut down on living space, but with the 2 drop down beds, 1 drop down table and all the extras back there it's still very nice living space when your toys are out.

rgus
Explorer
Explorer

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yea I forgot to mention, make sure you get the Mor-ryde zero gravity ramp door and the Mor-ryde steps on main entrance, they raise up and store vertically in the doorway and are much sturdier than the folding steps as they set on the ground when in down position. Also make sure you get 6-point HYD level up.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I would think loading the Harley first off to one side and toward the front of a 12ft garage the OP could back in the spyder at a bit of an angle and be fine and with room to spare. On the orig ques the OP asked, what I try and watch for in a purchase is can I get into the M bedroom without running slides out, can I load frig or get to stuff to make a sandwich without running slides out, I like frig on curb side of RV so if I need to run slide out to load, slides not sticking out into traffic. I also want main bath on street side so I have access at all times to bedroom. Does it have OSB plugs throughout for phone charging, does it have cabinets that we can reach for things like plates and glasses, these are just a few things I look at due to having to load hauler while parked on a street and we stop in rest areas to rest and don't want to run slide out to get to bedroom and take the chance of a semi hitting us. But as I mentioned if you get one with a closed 12ft garage you should be fine storing both your Harley and spyder at the same time. These things are what I need but may not be important for others.
2018 Raptor 428SP

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Shuffling toys around sounds like a pain. I would suggest toy hauler with open storage and lower CG and ramp angle. Like the ATC or VRV style toy haulers.

A closed off garage is nice when hauling dirty ATV/UTV's around. But with two clean Motorcycle's I'd be just fine. The only down fall to the open garage is you will need to remove toys to get full use out of the space.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel