cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Ton SRW Challenge

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pickuptrucks.com did a challenge of the one ton SRW's. Just started posting some of the results, Chevy won. One Ton Challenge
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
72 REPLIES 72

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
More "news", based on personal opinions of a few "experts", for the sole purpose of selling magazines. Little to do with ownership satisfaction of any of the three.

And anyone in the world of statistic will tell you a sample of one is worthless.

hallelujah......Pickuptrucks.com LOL.

Did someone mention Betty White in this thread? What in the hell brand of truck is she driving? And what does she know anyway, she's a washed up hag? There are better Betty's in this world, Crocker and Rubble come to mind.

Taking cheap shots at a 96 year old woman? Real classy! :R
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Look, we all know that you like to think that whatever you have is the best thing in the world and it has no flaws. Sorry to tel you this but the Aisin has its flaws just like the Cummins we both drive.

Some people have a hard time with this concept. All three diesels are bada$$ trucks right now. They all do certain things better than the other two, but they all also have areas where the other two are superior. Admitting that shouldn't be a problem, just pick the truck with the pluses you really want and the minuses you can live with and be happy with it.

Exactly! They all have their pluses and minuses. What may make one good in one area may also make it worse in another. Nothing is perfect all the way around. What matters is that the truck you choose is best in the areas that are most important to you and not worry about the areas it is not good in because you did not buy it for those reasons.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ive been experiencing my 5ver kind of pushing my truck around. It doesnt happen with the tandem dually gooseneck ... just the holiday trailer so I thought it was the trailer. Maybe I need to get rid of the Ford and get a Ram.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Look, we all know that you like to think that whatever you have is the best thing in the world and it has no flaws. Sorry to tel you this but the Aisin has its flaws just like the Cummins we both drive.

Some people have a hard time with this concept. All three diesels are bada$$ trucks right now. They all do certain things better than the other two, but they all also have areas where the other two are superior. Admitting that shouldn't be a problem, just pick the truck with the pluses you really want and the minuses you can live with and be happy with it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Threebigfords wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I only had to read the first line... Price. No truck today is worth 70 grand to me. Especially when you can buy a low mileage off lease vehicle with a factory warranty for about half of what a new one cost. I believe in letting the first owner/leasee take the depreciation hit. I'm not proud. Bought my last 2 vehicles that way.

One quick observations I've seen so far. Some RVers are over-truck for their trailer. Not my business really. And then again, they must have been able to afford it: the truck, higher maintenance and gas.

Almost tempted myself as first time RVer.

Oddly, I see a lot that are 'under trucked'. Wife and I stopped at Arby's on the way home and 2 large, I mean LARGE pull behind's were in the side parking lot, both being hitched to Ford 150's. Even said to the wife it looks as though the 'tail is wagging the dog'. I've always had a 1 ton pickup but I use mine for more than RV'ing. It's a farm truck too.

And I bet those F150's you were mocking have the same if not higher tow rating as your antique 1 ton truck.

Noooooo!
His antique truck is the holy grail of all that is and all that could ever bee in a pickup truck.......just ask him.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
alexleblanc wrote:
in the end they are all so well matched that arguing small differences in overall great performances seems like a waste of time.

AMEN!

It doesn't seem like a waste of time... it IS a waste of time. All 3 are great, all 3 are capable and all 3 offer slightly different options. If only I could afford one of them!!! Anyone wanna go halfsies?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
in the end they are all so well matched that arguing small differences in overall great performances seems like a waste of time.

I'm extremely happy with my truck, but to be honest I think if I switched to a GM or Ram tomorrow equipped similarly and the local dealer support was as good as the Ford one has been for me, I would be a happy camper and I doubt I would complain about the performance - lets be honest, we're all out there doing our favorite thing in the world and that's hauling our RV's to go on vacation or chase down adventure!
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
UH I did own a FULLY built DDT trans that my Son has now so I know what I am talking about. But hey you need to tune everything to get it the way yo want. I have Zero reason to do so.

That is not true. I probably would not tune the shifting on an Allison. The factory shift strategy is pretty spot on. Although the 6R140 is a stout trans, I would probably still tune its shift strategy to my liking. What can I say, I liked things tuned to my preferences and not generic to everyone else.

It is kind of ironic the PUTC and TFL both say the same things I have been saying about the Aisin in this forum. No need to bury your head in the sand and pretend it does not have any issues. It is just a slow shifting trans that tends to put you in the wrong gear for the situation at times. It is what it is.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I only had to read the first line... Price. No truck today is worth 70 grand to me. Especially when you can buy a low mileage off lease vehicle with a factory warranty for about half of what a new one cost. I believe in letting the first owner/leasee take the depreciation hit. I'm not proud. Bought my last 2 vehicles that way.
Just where do you find 2 year old heavy duty 1 ton SRW CC LB with auto and a Laramie, Lariet, LXT package that are just off of a lease?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
More "news", based on personal opinions of a few "experts", for the sole purpose of selling magazines. Little to do with ownership satisfaction of any of the three.

And anyone in the world of statistic will tell you a sample of one is worthless.

hallelujah......Pickuptrucks.com LOL.

Did someone mention Betty White in this thread? What in the hell brand of truck is she driving? And what does she know anyway, she's a washed up hag? There are better Betty's in this world, Crocker and Rubble come to mind.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
In terms of over/under trucked, these tests tell us little.

It's nothing special to have a 1/2 ton with 350hp that would blow away the top diesel dually of 20-25yrs ago in terms of pulling power and acceleration. All newer trucks are just crazy powerful in relation to a short while back.

It's usually the suspension capability that differentiates if you are over/under trucked for towing not the drive train.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

One quick observations I've seen so far. Some RVers are over-truck for their trailer. Not my business really. And then again, they must have been able to afford it: the truck, higher maintenance and gas.

Almost tempted myself as first time RVer.

Oddly, I see a lot that are 'under trucked'. Wife and I stopped at Arby's on the way home and 2 large, I mean LARGE pull behind's were in the side parking lot, both being hitched to Ford 150's. Even said to the wife it looks as though the 'tail is wagging the dog'. I've always had a 1 ton pickup but I use mine for more than RV'ing. It's a farm truck too.

And I bet those F150's you were mocking have the same if not higher tow rating as your antique 1 ton truck.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
UH I did own a FULLY built DDT trans that my Son has now so I know what I am talking about. But hey you need to tune everything to get it the way yo want. I have Zero reason to do so.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
If you can't get $12-16k off on a new loaded Ram HD diesel, then you are probably doing something wrong or at the wrong dealer. Everyone I know has been able to get that much off.

Received this today.

"It's the end of the month and your wait has paid off! Hurry in and get your Ram truck while the selection is good. We need to sell 12 Rams before the close of business tomorrow!!!

Rebates and discounts have never been this high, in fact you can save over $14,000 off select 2018 Ram trucks. Please contact me via cell at 480.223.2094 or reply to this email to set up a convenient time to drop by and take home the truck of your dreams.
Thanks in advance,
Nick Covert
Sales Manager
Earnhardt CJDR
480.223.2094 (cell)
480.926.4000"
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interestingly the RAM score highest by the options of three judges, however lower on the statistical parts of the test. They did not clearly state why they rated it highest.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021