cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'15 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AND TRAILER COMPATIBLE?

bobka7914
Explorer
Explorer
Need your input and recommendation: Contemplating purchasing a TV and TT... In your opinion, do you think a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.6-liter V-6 290 hp, 260 ft torque) with a 6200 lb tow capacity can safely and adequately pull a travel trailer weighing 4200 lb dry/optioned out, approx 5100 wet?
19 REPLIES 19

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Adequately pulls depends on the puller. Not for me, but let us know.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The new GC paddle shifter with the gas engine should do a good job of engine braking. But yeah, the diesel is a different animal.

As I understand it, the 8 speed is set up so well, there is no need to lock out overdrive. I guess there isn't an issue with unlocked torque converters; instead of trying to get a little extra power by letting the converter slip (the way my Highlander does and so many older vehicles do), the new GC simply shifts to the next lower gear!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man, I thought I had made it clear that I manually downshifted at the top of hills, but a quick scan of my post leads me to believe I thought about it, but it never made it to the keyboard.

Yes, I manually downshift at the top of hills, while going slower. I would even downshift to 3rd gear when I knew it was a steep hill. But, as the speed increased, the computer would upshift, and continue to do so if I did not brake.

I have found out since purchasing my latest diesel, that gas engines have better engine-braking than diesels, due to the mechanics of the engines. So, my hope now is that someone comes out with an after-market engine brake for the GC diesel, but I am not holding my breath!

In my opinion, based on my experience, if you are going to be towing your boat regularly in the mountains, I would not get a 6-cyl GC to tow a 6,000 lb boat. If you are only going to go through mountains occasionally, it will be fine, if you monitor your downhill braking, and don't overdo it. Hills across the midwest are no problem, as they are short enough. My hills are over a mile long where I complain about having to brake, instead of letting the engine hold me back.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The 8 speed tranny makes a big difference. I did some research before buying the 2014 GC and professional auto experts/reviewers gave the new tranny high marks for towing purposes.

I haven't experienced any white knuckle rides due to lack of stopping power coming down a mountain or getting blown by high crosswinds. I use an Equalizer hitch system that makes towing my trailer a pleasure.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
Well, gemsworld, maybe the naysayers have similar desires from our towing experience to what the OP has, and our opinions are valid.

I had a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 8-cyl, and towed our 1,500 lb popup trailer with no problem. Our 2006 GC Hemi V-8 also towed it with no problem.

We got a 3,200 lb TrailManor (similar towing profile as a popup), and the 2004 was a dog. The 2006 Hemi towed it up mountains (I live in Colorado), but it worked. I don't like holding-up traffic, so maintaining at least 50 on uphills is important to me.

I got rid of my 2004 V-8, and got a 2007 Grand Cherokee 3L diesel. Huge difference! Much better torque going uphill, and better fuel economy than the Hemi. Had no problem going at least 60 up I-70 or Hwy 285 out of Denver.

Diesel had too many issues, so I traded it for a 2014 diesel GC with the 8-spd tranny. World of difference, for the better! BUT, my only complaint about the 2014 diesel is that is has virtually no engine braking. That is important when towing in the mountains, as I do.

The 9-spd tranny and engine are programmed to upshift at a certain speed, which defeats the braking of the engine. So, for me, I would not recommend towing any trailer over 4,500 lbs with the 2014 GC, even though it is rated to 7,200 lbs. It will tow it like a champ, but it won't hold it back going downhill.

That's my experience with 4 Grand Cherokees, and different trailers. If that isn't a valid opinion, I don't know what is.

Can't you manually down shift as you are going down the passes to increase engine braking? Honest question. I am considering a GC to tow my 6000 pound boat.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

shar3890
Explorer
Explorer
No, our jeep did not have the 8 speed transmission. Don't know how much difference that would make. We do love our Jeep as a regular everyday car. We actually kept it, and bought the Tahoe just to tow our trailer. As I said before we were extremely dissapointed in it as a tow vehicle. It's not fun to be white knuckles the entire time you are traveling somewhere.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I can't speak for the diesel, but with the V6 gas engine and the tranny engaged in sport mode, I get plenty of engine braking coming down mountains.

BTW, I have also owned three other Jeeps. The prior one was a 2007 Commander with the Hemi engine. Great TV but a big gas hoag even when not towing.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Well, gemsworld, maybe the naysayers have similar desires from our towing experience to what the OP has, and our opinions are valid.

I had a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 8-cyl, and towed our 1,500 lb popup trailer with no problem. Our 2006 GC Hemi V-8 also towed it with no problem.

We got a 3,200 lb TrailManor (similar towing profile as a popup), and the 2004 was a dog. The 2006 Hemi towed it up mountains (I live in Colorado), but it worked. I don't like holding-up traffic, so maintaining at least 50 on uphills is important to me.

I got rid of my 2004 V-8, and got a 2007 Grand Cherokee 3L diesel. Huge difference! Much better torque going uphill, and better fuel economy than the Hemi. Had no problem going at least 60 up I-70 or Hwy 285 out of Denver.

Diesel had too many issues, so I traded it for a 2014 diesel GC with the 8-spd tranny. World of difference, for the better! BUT, my only complaint about the 2014 diesel is that is has virtually no engine braking. That is important when towing in the mountains, as I do.

The 8-spd tranny and engine are programmed to upshift at a certain speed, which defeats the braking of the engine. So, for me, I would not recommend towing any trailer over 4,500 lbs with the 2014 GC, even though it is rated to 7,200 lbs. It will tow it like a champ, but it won't hold it back going downhill.

That's my experience with 4 Grand Cherokees, and different trailers. If that isn't a valid opinion, I don't know what is.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Does your 2013 GC have the new 8 speed transmission? I'm not sure if 2014 was the first year it was offered.

shar3890
Explorer
Explorer
We just stopped towing our 21 ft Cherokee lite (dry weight 3700 lbs) with our 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 because we were having a lot of problems with performance. We crawled up hills with the motor screaming and couldn't maintain speed even on highways like we wanted. Just because something sounds like it should work, doesn't mean it really will. We have upgraded to a Chevy Tahoe and now don't even know the trailer is behind us. If you haven't bought either TT or TV yet, I would opt for some more towing power than a Jeep.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Don't listen to the naysayers here, especially those that don't own a GC and don't know what they are talking about. I own a 2014 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 engine and I tow a 2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS without any problems.

I drive often in the mountains and haven't had problems climbing 7,000 feet. I climb leisurely and don't let the engine work too hard unnecessarily. Some posters here think the only way to go is full throttle up a mountain and will say you need a diesel F-350 to tow a 5,000 lb. trailer.

Expect to get on average about 13 MPG towing at 55 MPH (maximum towing speed limit in CA) for the most part. I highly recommend getting an Equalizer hitch system. Good luck!

lifelongcampers
Explorer
Explorer
We started out camping with a TT using our 6 cylinder 4.0L Cherokee and a 21' TT. In the mountains here in PA It struggled a bit especially going up 322 towards State College. With that being said it wasn't the power that made me switch tow vehicles. The stability of the rig had me with white knuckles at times. I tried having the rear suspension reworked and bought Bilstein (expensive) shocks for it and it was better but still not great. We switched to an F150 Crew Cab and with the same hitch set up and same travel trailer I went from white knuckles to one finger driving. The longer wheel base vehicle was amazing to tow with.
Just thought I'd share our story with you. Best of luck with whatever setup you end up with.
Ron & Leslie

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked hard at the Jeep Grand Cherokee as my next tow vehicle. The V6 could do it in the flatlands but would feel sluggish at times. On long uphill grades you'll be really regretting the V6. It has about 20 more HP than my Highlander's V6, but a fair bit more weight on the GC. I've had some mild regrets towing a 2700 lb TT (7' wide x 99" high) around the Rockies, and this year I traded down to a popup Aliner. If the TT you contemplate has more frontal area than the one I had, that will be an even greater factor against the V6.

That V8 is so much more capable, the fuel economy while towing will be virtually the same as the V6's, and the V8 doesn't cost much more in relation to the total price tag. For serious trailer towing, why skimp? Get an engine that will put a smile on your face when you stomp on the pedal!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget about that 6200 lb tow capacity. That number is considering a 150 lb driver, with no passengers or cargo. If you only weigh 150 lbs and plan on towing alone, with no cargo, you might tow that kind of weight.

Besides that (mythical) tow capacity number, you also need to watch the hitch rating, GVWR, and payload. All of the ratings fit together like a puzzle.

GVWR -- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. ---Max amount the vehicle can weigh. Includes everything and everybody in, or on the vehicle.

GCVWR --- Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating -- Max combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer. Includes everything and everybody in, or on both vehicles.

Payload -- Difference between what the vehicle actually weighs and it's GVWR. This is the weight capacity you have for people, tow vehicle cargo, WD hitch, and trailer tongue weight.

Hitch rating -- Maximum amount of weight on the hitch receiver (with and without weight distribution).

As you load weight into the tow vehicle (people, cargo, hitch, etc), the max tow capacity and available payload, go down pound for pound.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example:

If the vehicle has 6200 lb tow capacity and 1100 lbs of payload, and you load 600 lbs of people, your tow capacity and available payload drop to 5600 lb towing capacity and 500 lbs payload.

A 5100 lb wet weight trailer, will need about 700 lbs (with WDH) of available payload.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on size and weight of your family, the Grand Cherokee may, or may not have the capacity (payload) to carry everything and everybody you plan to bring along.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)