cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1988 Majorca Elpaso M-20-E W/pics of pilot light soot-HELP!?

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I posted this a couple weeks ago without the pics and you guys were great with the answers but i wasn't able to get the pics up til now so I decided to make a new thread So the last few months my trailer has been getting real black soot above where I light the pilot light, I couldn't find anything online as far as pictures or a manual or any info on this trailer. In general I did read that it's prob either a cobweb or the gas is burning to rich. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to take it apart and what I needed to do or if I just needed to adjust a screw for gas or air mixture. I'm including some pictures of it. There 2 screws that look like they could be for adjusting gas, theres a flathead on the front of the main unit you'll see it in the picture and then on the under side pretty much directly below that screw is an Allen screw, other than im not sure. If u can please try to give me some instructions on what to do and/or if you know of a good website with a manual or pictures/instructions etc. that would be helpful too. Thank you very much everyone in advance.

Let me know if u have any questions or need me to take a close up pic on anything else
10 REPLIES 10

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Remove the entire burner pipe and pilot tubing, along with the wire that attaches to the thermocouple. There are two captive fasteners on the bottom of the gas valve to loosen and you'll also have a couple of sheet metal screws to remove that hold the burner assembly in place. Do not cut the wire. Do not adjust any of the screws on the gas valve. That is above your paygrade and will probably mess things up.

After you have the burner assembly in your hands and removed from the water heater, look on the end of the burner pipe. There will be a small brass orifice there with hex sides. Remove this orifice and soak it with carb cleaner, dilute ammonia or other cleaner. Blow compressed air backward from delivery direction through the orifice. You should be able to see daylight through the small hole.

Clean out the burner tube and lightly sand the thermocouple (the cylinder on the end of the pilot tube where the wire attaches). Reassemble, making sure the thermocouple is in the path of the pilot flame. Try ignition and adjust the air mixture baffle (the steel clamp that is attached to the burner tube with a machine bolt and nut) until flame is nearly all blue. You should have no soot after this.

You could also just do the last step, adjust the air mixture baffle, but that water heater is in sore need of a good cleaning.

Thank-you very much for those instructions its kind of late and I just got home so I'll be given this a go tmrw and report back.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
westend wrote:
the air mixture baffle (the steel clamp that is attached to the burner tube with a machine bolt and nut)

Is that factory? It looked hokey to me.
Probably factory OEM. It only needs to be adjusted once, typically, so you don't need a real sophisticated mechanism.

BTW, spraying the fasteners with a rust penetrant before working on that heater may prove to save a lot of effort. I know mine were rusted up fairly well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
the air mixture baffle (the steel clamp that is attached to the burner tube with a machine bolt and nut)

Is that factory? It looked hokey to me.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the entire burner pipe and pilot tubing, along with the wire that attaches to the thermocouple. There are two captive fasteners on the bottom of the gas valve to loosen and you'll also have a couple of sheet metal screws to remove that hold the burner assembly in place. Do not cut the wire. Do not adjust any of the screws on the gas valve. That is above your paygrade and will probably mess things up.

After you have the burner assembly in your hands and removed from the water heater, look on the end of the burner pipe. There will be a small brass orifice there with hex sides. Remove this orifice and soak it with carb cleaner, dilute ammonia or other cleaner. Blow compressed air backward from delivery direction through the orifice. You should be able to see daylight through the small hole.

Clean out the burner tube and lightly sand the thermocouple (the cylinder on the end of the pilot tube where the wire attaches). Reassemble, making sure the thermocouple is in the path of the pilot flame. Try ignition and adjust the air mixture baffle (the steel clamp that is attached to the burner tube with a machine bolt and nut) until flame is nearly all blue. You should have no soot after this.

You could also just do the last step, adjust the air mixture baffle, but that water heater is in sore need of a good cleaning.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Clean the burner,
clean the flue,
check and adjust the LPG pressure,
adjust the flame.

I'm not sure what any of that is or how to do that. I came in here hoping to get instructions. I'm not home yet but I plan on watching the YouTube video posted above and the suggestions and hopefully will be able to figure it out.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the burner,
clean the flue,
check and adjust the LPG pressure,
adjust the flame.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks il look at this video and go mess with it here in a bit and post back what happens. Thanku very much

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
The burner tube is the thing that's connected to the valve (the thing that says "UNITROL" on it).There should be a sleeve on it with slots that control the amount of air that the flame gets. Too much air and you get an orange flame and lots of soot. It looks like someone tried to improvise by clamping that piece of metal around the tube with that nut and bolt. That doesn't look like a factory arrangement. In the second pic you can see the gap into the tube. I'd try to close it off as much as you can and see if you get a decent flame. You should have very little orange in the flame and if you do it would be way out at the end.

EDIT: This is obviously a different model, but it shows how it's supposed to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjDklZh4ws
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Joeydrunk
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
There should be a slotted fitting on the end of the gas line to the main burner. It needs to be adjusted to a nice blue flame.

Ok so I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff. I'm a computer guy. So on the last picture if u zoom in u can see a flathead screw by the word "hot" and then on the underside is which u can't see directly below the flathead screw is an Allen screw, are those adjustments? Which is the Gas line, and which is the main burner, and what do u mean by sloyted fitting? I really need some detail here.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
There should be a slotted fitting on the end of the gas line to the main burner. It needs to be adjusted to a nice blue flame.