cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1993 Dodge Cummins potential purchase

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
My 90 year old uncle has a 93 Dodge Cummins 2 wheel drive club cab with an automatic. He bought it new.
I may have a chance to buy it. It has under 100k on it and have has maintained it well. The last 5 years or so it has not been driven much.
He has some people telling him it is a classic and is worth a LOT of money. But he thinks it may be worth 5000-8000 bucks.
We only tow a 6000 pound trailer so it would work well for us.
What do you think
Jesse
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What today's trucks used to be! To bad they aren't as reliable as the truck in question! If it's clean it's worth every penny of what is being asked for it! Considering a new dually diesel is going for $60k and they have a potential to break down with a drop of water on the fuel system, I would pay low teens if it was very clean!!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Id buy it in a second as long as you dont need modern amenities inside.

The auto trans is the weak link but with low miles and probably a stock tuned engine it will last another 100k easily.

Like noted above there is practicaly zero electronics with regards to the engine. There is a basic ecm that controls the power windows, lock and cruise control but thats it. Its a battery, a starter and a 100% mechanical motor. If its running it will not stop until you turn it off.

We just pulled our trailer 2,000 miles round trip to Yellowstone with zero issues. That incudes 13 miles of 5-6% grade in the California desert with the AC on 😉
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
If the AC works I would offer $2,500.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Understandable, the 2 WD trucks ride like any other 3/4 ton truck, now the 4x4 ride like a steel wheeled hay wagon.

and in a way you are right, even though they are just 24 years old, the technology is from the 70's.

with that said they are over built and would do what you ask of it, and the A/C will make ice.

the drivablity is off the charts, with the highest probability of gitting you there and back home, almost zero electronics to fail.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
1st Gen and others thanks for the info. I think that the decision will, be do I want a 40 year old truck in regards to comfort and drivability?
My uncle has some idea that it may worth some money and when the time comes to sell it there will others that will help decide it's real value.
It could quickly get out of the range I am willing to spend. I am not an enthusiast I just would like a trailer hauler.
Jesseannie

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and My truck is quieter than anything diesel pre 2006 Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and quieter than any truck with louder exhaust.

now this new stuff is very quiet for a diesel, so a 1st gen is louder that those.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
this is the engine that was made to run levee pumps 24/7 at 2500rpm day in and day out, they had a 6B and a 4B, the 4 cylinder cummins was in bread trucks, fed-ex,UPS trucks and on things like airline deicer pumps, and bigger generators, they are very popular to transplant into jeeps and old trucks where the 6B is to long.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. Thanks 1stgen.

In any event you can get lots of power out of these engines if you can stand the noise and keep a tranny under them. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
If it has little to no rust it is well worth 7k, the trans (A518) is the week link, but with a proper fluid change and adjustment of the bands and PSI they can be fine.

the 1st generation cummins has a VE rotory injection pump, they have no fuel plate, it is a pin, "the plate started in 94 with the introduction of the P7100 pump", with just a little tweeking you can get 240hp and 550lb ft tq, with zero money. and with around $1,500 you can get 350hp and 750lb ft tq, " this is where my truck dyno's.

I have a standing offer of 16k for my 4x4 DRW 93 with 163k, and yes they are selling for that and more for a nice 4x4.

they are just about bullit proof and not even close to as loud as a cummins with a VP44 pump, or a 7.3 PS,

If you do end up with it give me a shout if you have any problems or have a question.

1st generation Dodge diesels is what I do.

Dar

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Great comments thanks.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Pretty much what ^he said.
They're great trucks IMO, IF you want to fix them up with a better trans and more power. Otherwise you'll be suckin windnin the slow lane with the overloaded semis up every hill.
They're worth some money though. Being a 2wd hurts but I'd guess $7-8k if it's Cherry condition.
Question is do want a 25 year old truck or something newer? Remember that chassis and body date back to the 70s. It's really like a 40 year old truck with some factory upgrades.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 90 W150, it was a reliable vehicle for years but crude compared to today's offerings. You will find the ride harsh when empty. The early Cummins was under powered but that can be helped with a 4" turbo back exhaust and a high capacity air filter. As was mentioned it will be loud, you will have no friends if you try leaving the cg at 6 a.m. Be aware that body and trim parts are getting hard to find. It is not a classic, might be worth 5 g's.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The good:

They will run forever.

They take little to almost no maintenance and still keep running.

With a fuel plate and a little tuning they can put out a lot of HP.

They just sip fuel. 23 MPG is not unheard of.

You will have a lot of new friends and enemies when you pull into a campground.

The bad:

They are louder than a 747 on takeoff. (both inside and out)

They are very crude trucks.

They only put out 160 HP which is sad, sad, sad. 20 to 30 MPH on steep mountains is the order of the day.

If you start putting power to them the tranny will be done. (The trannys can't handle the torque.)

People will want to fight you if you try to warm your truck up in a campground at 6 in the morning.

They rust really bad.

They have a cult following so people tend to pay a lot for them whether worth it or not.

After owning it for a few years you tend to ask people: "what did you say again? What?, What?.................."
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have uncle offer it to the public. If you are willing to pay the highest offer, buy it from him. Tell your cousins what you propose first. Back up the price with anything you can find.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad