cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 Lance legend 945 help please.

Trouncer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used 1996 lance legend 945 camper. The previous owner wall papered the inside which is fine, however he removed things to install the paper. One of the items he removed is the systems monitor. I need to reinstall it and have no idea where which wires go where. I emailed Lance for a wiring diagram but they replied back saying they do not have that info going that for back. Seems odd to me.

So I'm asking if someone that has one of these could shoot a photo of the back side of the monitor showing where the wires are plugged into I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Count me as jealous that you have a giant trailer to put your rock crawler AND camper on. It's probably way easier on a SRW truck that way! If I have to take both, I have to carry the camper and tow the crawler.

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Trouncer,

I've got a 1998 Lance Squire 5000 and Lance was very good about sending me the complete wiring schematics electronically no cost. Shows lights, sensors, and just about everything. I printed these out and keep them in the camper with the manual. They have come in very handy from time to time.:C
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

Trouncer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Lance had me send a photo to them of the back of the monitor. They had one of their techs write out what wire goes where on the photo and sent it back. Cool company that lance is. :B

Now I just need the time to repair it.

I just bought a honda EV6010 liquid cooled 50A RV generator with 146 hours on it for $250. I know your thinking that's too big to shoehorn into the lance gen storage compartment. Yes, yes it is.

This camper is part of my crawler hauler setup.

I have a Rockwell buggy that I take to different off road parks across the nation. I have a new Bigtex 30' gooseneck trailer and this lance slide in will be set up on the front of the trailer with the sleeper overhanging the trailer gooseneck. My buggy will be loaded up behind that.

Once to destination, I unload my buggy and setup camp. The area where I hauled my buggy is now a deck off of my camper 36" off the ground or pickup truck bed hight where ever that height is. Now I setup a canopy over the deck with poles and tarp.

The generator will be hung under the trailer deck on one side. I'm going to use a boat trailer cable winch and pulleys to raise and lower the gen set in and out of position. I don't want to haul the generator when I use the trailer for other task besides crawler hauler.

nm1oqrz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Trouncer. I checked on the Lance web site and the first year that Lance started to include schematics in the manuals was 2006. I looked at the 2006 and there was a schematic that you could look at and possibly get some idea of what to do. Just go to the Lance home page and click on support. The manuals will be listed by date and TT or TC. Good luck.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Trouncer wrote:
I recently purchased a used 1996 lance legend 945 camper. The previous owner wall papered the inside which is fine, however he removed things to install the paper. One of the items he removed is the systems monitor. I need to reinstall it and have no idea where which wires go where. I emailed Lance for a wiring diagram but they replied back saying they do not have that info going that for back. Seems odd to me.

So I'm asking if someone that has one of these could shoot a photo of the back side of the monitor showing where the wires are plugged into I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
That would work if you can access the sensors, or if you can eliminate 1 or 2 tanks. There is only one wire coming from each tank that is connected to all 3 upper sensors, Common white that goes to all tanks (bottom probe). There will be 4 sensors on each tank-send power (or check continuity) to any of the upper 3 sensors read at monitor location.
Very generic/generally common but not universal: Grey wire goes to grey tank, black or brown goes to black, clear or blue goes to fresh water tank. A common white wire goes to all.

Also you could look up Lance manuals / pdf files see if any (the older they are less information where newer actually have diagrams/color codes for the monitor) resembles yours, and color transitions and how they are wired.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can even replace the sensors. It is going to be much simpler than a efi. ;). You can get a schematic design from the monitor manufacturer.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
Just start with 1 wire at a time, put a power source at one of the tank sensors and go from there using a multimeter.
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

Trouncer
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I don't think it matters where it is. I'd consider rewiring from scratch and putting the monitor where you want it and potentially adding something like a voltage readout as well.

Previous owner was second owner and never used it.

I can wire it up fine but I need to know what wire goes where. I've made stand alone wiring harnesses for modern EFI v8's but I couldn't do that without a schematic of the OEM harness.

I'm a novice when it comes to campers. I've always tented or stayed in someone else's camper. But I am mechanically inclined and repair stuff on my own. I was a tech twenty years ago for the better part of my life as well. I say this because I have no interest in having anyone repair it for me.

Sorry, I meant to quote the post above yours.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Lance 990 legend and the system control monitor is in the vent hood above the stove.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it matters where it is. I'd consider rewiring from scratch and putting the monitor where you want it and potentially adding something like a voltage readout as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the previous owner did not care how much water is available or what the level is in the gray or black water tanks! You could do continuity checks on the wires. Probably better off taking it to a camper or RV repair shop to do a complete work up as well as reinstalling the monitor. Good luck!