cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 1/2" receiver on new trucks with extension?

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking at a new Ram 3500 and it comes with a 2 1/2" receiver as does Ford and not sure on Chevy.
I had the Reese Titan on my DRW and used a 4 ft extension when carrying a Lance.
Are these stock receivers strong enough to support the leverage of the extensions.
I'm sure it won't be like a Torquelift or even Reese but has anyone done this?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
30 REPLIES 30

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
delosholly wrote:
Hello,
We have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the stock 2.5" receiver. I use an Reese extension that is 36" but with the added ball totals out to around 48". I pull a smaller enclosed cargo trailer that has our 675lb Suzuki Burgman in it plus a lot of other gear and spare tires. I think the total weight of the trailer is around 2000-2250lbs. We have had zero issues pulling this trailer using this hitch combination. We do not have any chains added except for the safety chains. There is zero side-to-side motion of the trailer.

We do similar but slightly lighter.

3 rail motorcycle trailer with a BMW K100RS4V. Probably total of 1000# or so.

48" extension cut down to 42" stuck into our stock GM 2-1/2" receiver.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the stock 2.5" receiver. I use an Reese extension that is 36" but with the added ball totals out to around 48". I pull a smaller enclosed cargo trailer that has our 675lb Suzuki Burgman in it plus a lot of other gear and spare tires. I think the total weight of the trailer is around 2000-2250lbs. We have had zero issues pulling this trailer using this hitch combination. We do not have any chains added except for the safety chains. There is zero side-to-side motion of the trailer.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Bedlam
If you go with a SuperHitch, it does not matter if you use 17K, 20K or 30K model when using the SuperTruss extension - The limitations when towing with the SuperTruss is the same across all the receivers and only changes based on the length of the SuperTruss.

The Magnum line of SuperHitches in 20K and 30K lb capacities have double ended stingers and hitch balls available to utilize these high receiver ratings. There are other companies making these heavy rated components, but you have to look at more specialty suppliers instead of a big box store.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2-1/2 inch hitch is a Class V receiver that is designed to handle the maximum tow load for a ball mounted trailer. With my GM that means a trailer weight up to 13,000 lbs., although generally speaking at a certain weight the use of a weight distributing hitch is recommended.

With the GM 1500 trucks the maximum tongue weight goes from 600 lbs. to 1000 lbs. with a WDH, and for the 2500/3500 trucks it increases from 1,100 lbs. to 1,500 lbs. with the WDH. The exception is the GM tow package which includes a Class V hitch rated for the maximum of 1500 lbs. tongue weight and a trailer load of 13,000 lbs. already.

As has been mentioned those load figures are for a ball mounted tongue less than a foot from the hitch. With an extension the load is leveraged and increases proportionately to the length of the extension. I would guesstimate that a 48" extension would result in 4x the load from the trailer on the hitch.
With a 13,000 lb. tow load limit without the extension the limit with a 24" extension would be around 6500 lbs. and with the 48" extension the trailer load limit would be around 3200 lbs.

The Draw-Tite 24" extension is rated for up to 8,000 lbs. with a WDH and the 36" extension is rated for up to 6,000 lbs. with a WDH. The Superhitch is designed for use in this situation with the lateral reinforcement provided by the chains and welded truss plates. I would trust the manufacturers load limits for the hitch which with a 48" extension is 12,000 lbs and 1,200 lbs tongue weight.

Torklift also has the Magnum series of hitch receivers rated for up to 30,000 lbs. but this is a fiction. It assumes that a trailer ball can handle this load, which it cannot, and it assumes that the truck frame can manage this load in this manner, and at least according to the truck's manufacturer, it cannot. With GM a tow load over 13,000 lbs. needs to be done with a fifth-wheel hitch which better distributes the load against the frame of the truck which is reinforced in the area where the hitch would be mounted.

One good aspect of the Superhitch is that it lowers the ball height. Using a drop hitch some caution should be exercised as these will have their own load rating and it will usually be less than that of a straight adapter in the receiver. And many are 2" x 2" and so further reduce the load capacity.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Just bite the bullet - that's what I did after trying other options.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Checked my Silverado 3500 20,000lb rating with 2000lb tongue weight capacity. That is factory for 2 1/2 receiver on a 2015.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 F350 factory 2 1/ 2 inch hitch is rated at 850 lb tongue load (conventional), 1,500 lb tongue load (weight distributing).

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Check the ratings of the receiver. It's generally on a sticker on the receiver itself, and if not, it's in the owner's manual.

2-1/2" factory receivers are rated higher than the standard 2", but they are still a far cry from a Reese Titan or a Superhitch.

Does your factory 2-1/2" receiver have a 2000lb WC tongue weight capacity?

Bingo, my 07 Dodge has a factory 2" rated at 1000 lbs. This hitch is welded in and doubles as a permanent frame member...Got (from etrailer) a Curt Commercial direct bolt on 2.5" rated at 2700 lbs which sits immediately below the Dodge hitch... With Reese extension problem solved... As others have said, determine your needs and tongue weight.. I added chains and turn buckles for good measure.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, good info.
Just picked up my new Ram 3500 srw and even though it has the 2 1/2" opening, the actually hitch looks the same as the 2" I had on my 03.
Much different that the Reese Titan I had on it.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check the ratings of the receiver. It's generally on a sticker on the receiver itself, and if not, it's in the owner's manual.

2-1/2" factory receivers are rated higher than the standard 2", but they are still a far cry from a Reese Titan or a Superhitch.

Does your factory 2-1/2" receiver have a 2000lb WC tongue weight capacity?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
The superhitch is the only way to pull while carrying a camper with overhang, as far as I'm concerned. It has no real competition. I would use it for all but the lightest trailers.

Torklift Super Hitch with 42"SuperTruss....rated for 600 lbs tongue weight and 6000 lbs pulling
Reese Titan with 41" Reese extension........rated for 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs pulling.
With Weight Distribution assistance they both go up considerably.
Yes, the Super Hitch is the beefiest, but I would say the Reese set up could safely work for many decent size trailers out there.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I'm looking at a new Ram 3500 and it comes with a 2 1/2" receiver as does Ford and not sure on Chevy.
Are these stock receivers strong enough to support the leverage of the extensions.
I'm sure it won't be like a Torquelift or even Reese but has anyone done this?

for an accurate , honest answer call Torklift !!!
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
With the reputation Torklift has, along with their customer service, I would seriously doubt that they would include any type of accessory with their products, that haven't been thoroughly tested by their engineering department. It would be common place for them to match all the parts for their products. IMHO. Sorry to get off topic.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
The superhitch is the only way to pull while carrying a camper with overhang, as far as I'm concerned. It has no real competition. I would use it for all but the lightest trailers.