cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 women travelers and RV newbies totally confused!

Glamazon
Explorer
Explorer
My brain is about to explode! Me and my partner are going to buy a RV. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer. For the most part it will just be the 2 of us doing weekend/vacation travel. We are trying to find the right trailer, but there are just so many to choose from.

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

We will for the most part travel just the two of us. I don't need a bunch of bunks, but I'd prefer some extra bathroom and kitchen space and comfortable seating .

We have a Harley we'd like to take a long. I see several different options for hauling motorcycles..what's the easiest and cheapest option?

Anyone have any recommendations or favorite brands you'd think would suit our needs? I had been looking at Keystone and Dutchmen? But seriously, we haven't got a clue in hell what we're doing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glamazon wrote:
My brain is about to explode! Me and my partner are going to buy a RV. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer. For the most part it will just be the 2 of us doing weekend/vacation travel. We are trying to find the right trailer, but there are just so many to choose from.

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

We will for the most part travel just the two of us. I don't need a bunch of bunks, but I'd prefer some extra bathroom and kitchen space and comfortable seating .

We have a Harley we'd like to take a long. I see several different options for hauling motorcycles..what's the easiest and cheapest option?

Anyone have any recommendations or favorite brands you'd think would suit our needs? I had been looking at Keystone and Dutchmen? But seriously, we haven't got a clue in hell what we're doing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

To your question about motorcycle hauling options: check out Overbilt Lifts Sport Loader.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
Sorry if my High School Drama class.........training bothers you.

That's OK. However, you must have aced that class.
I love me some land yachting

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Hitching, we have a power jack and "Equalizer" brand WD hitch. Hitching up amounts to pushing buttons.
Adventure before dementia

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both fifth wheels and bumper pulls, I think a smaller size 25-32 foot fifth wheel is much easier on all fronts.
pawatt

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
bfast54 wrote:
... I haul trailers all over the country.........for a "bumper pull".....I E travel trailer.....I have to put in the huge hitch, that I remove so I dont bust a shin,when not towing...then try to match up hitch,and ball, which you cant see,so,many tries to get in right spot,even with spotter....get right height, crank down...power or manual,then wrestle with weight bars, but some also use equalizing/sway bars.....set them for proper hieght,weight,level

Your post gets a bit dramatic for hitching a TT. Sure, if you are hitching that one TT for a single pull, then switching to a different TT for a different pull, yes, adjustments are made. But those same adjustments are not made every time on the same TT.

:S

Oh I am sorry,but........you are saying you Do Not have to hook up weght bars EVERYTIME..........??
On my 5er....I back up, hitch,check....go..

..But,you probally towed way more rigs than I have.......since I haul for a manufacturer....

.And,you have most likely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.....

HMMMMM, I used an example, most any "Bumper Pull" is used to. Sorry if my High School Drama class.........training bothers you.

And,once again getting on track......the O. P.......needs to check all shapes,sizes......to see what works for them.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
It’s probably pretty obvious to you by now that each RV has pros and cons. I’d second others comments and suggest you attend RV shows, visit dealers, and ask questions on the forum until you feel you understand all the issues and can make a good decision. But take everything a salesman tells you with a grain of salt, their goal is to sell an RV, not provide you with what might be best for you.

One thing not mentioned is size. Keep in mind that the bigger RV you get the more issues you’ll have with where you can comfortably go. Some roads, and campgrounds may be difficult and even things like gas stations and parking lots may require preplanning. And you may find yourself always making reservations to ensure you can get a spot big enough to fit. This may not be a big problem if you always stay in commercial parks and close to civilization, but “scenic” roads and less developed campgrounds could be a headache.

You might also check some other forums; there are some devoted to singles and to women RVers that might be helpful. Sorry I can’t offer a link, but you should be able to locate them if you dig around.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
What others say they "can not" do is meaningless.
The only thing that is important is what YOU believe YOU can do!
We have owned truck campers, travel trailers, Class C motorhomes, Class A motorhomes, and spent nearly three years living in a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel.
My OPINION is (based purely on MY experiences):
The last truck camper was to much work to load and unload, and had too many steps.
The Class C was nice, but too small, even though there are only two of us. And, I detested the Ford 460 engine!
The travel trailers were OK, but the Jeep Wagoneer had to have a WD hitch, which I also detested; The other tow vehicles were OK without the hitch, but hooking up was a nuisance.
The fifth wheel was great, but while we were living in it we were staying at one place for a minimum of 13 weeks. Backing the 5er was much easier (IMO) than backing the TTs. I nearly always did the hook-up and unhook by myself, no trouble. But then, I was "only" 60 at the time, not quite as overweight as now, and the COPD was just starting to make itself known.
I really like our current Class A.
OP, given the parameters you have stated, I honestly believe the fifth wheel toy hauler would be your best bet.
Remember, if you believe you CAN do it, you quite likely can.
If you believe it is impossible for you to do it, it is very probably true!
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
With all the discussion about "what is easier to hook up" between a TT & FW, if you make a decision solely based upon this, and don't get a toyhauler, I think you'd hate having to get a HD in the bed of the truck; even if it's only a sporty.
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I responded to the persen saying it took more strength to hook op FW than trailer and that is rubbish, yes they have more steps and yes if you insist on loading op a coupe of ton in it every time that would be hard work, we onli load op food and clothes rest stays in, and I am les than 5'8" 164 lb and don't have to climbe in to TV to hook op.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
If a concern is cost. Remember a motor coach will cost more to maintain and insurance and you still need to hook up a tow vehicle.

A 5th wheel tends to cost more than a travel trailer apples to apples.

IMHO. choosing a travel trailer length & weight come first. Floor plan comes second.Hitching up should not be such a big deal. Like a previous person said once you have set it up the settings and routine to hitch and unhitch will be the same for the duration. Spend time finding the floor plan you like.

As for hauling the bike. I would rather go with hauling it in the back bed of the truck rather than going with a toy hauler. Provided the bike fits into the bed of the truck. ramps can be purchased cheap.
How to on loading bit into the bed of a truck securely.
Good luck.

http://www.discountramps.com/articles/motorcycle-tie-down.htm
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion to save some leg work in the beginning, try spending time online with either or both RVWholesalers and RVDirect. They both sell a ton of units, many different styles and floorplans and manufacturers. Specs are listed for the models, floorplans for each and usually pix for each. You'd have to drive all over to see the variety that you can find online. BTW, both are excellent dealers to work with and you can save a bunch of $$$$. Strictly personal opinion, I think you'd be happier with a mid-size TT, probably less than 30'. If you're not familiar with towing, you don't need to learn hauling around a 34' TT. We just sold our beloved 23SS HTT and moved to a 26'TT....seems like a palace. Just DH and myself. When you find a handful of possibilities, then find those dealers. If you have trouble finding them, contact the manufacturer and they can steer you the right direction. Chip away at this project slowly and carefully. You need to get it right the first time. Or maybe a mid-size 5er is best. Get comfortable with the dealer and remember not all dealers are 100% truthful....their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Find someone you feel is acting in your best interest. Then get into more of the details. A good dealer will show you and let you learn what you need to know before hauling out the pile of papers to sign. Good luck....hope you'll find the perfect camper for you and your partner. Just take your time and come back here as often as you'd like.....you can get good information and guidance to the better choices.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Is a motorhome any easier than a 5er or TT? I've seen guys put out a lot of effort hooking up and unhooking the tow-behind vehicle.

And I remember putting a lot of sweat into setting up and tearing down my old PUs. Of all the RVs I've owned, I think my new TT is probably the easiest to setup and tear down. And next trip I'll be using my drill to raise and lower my stabilizers, in addition to my power front jack.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
... I haul trailers all over the country.........for a "bumper pull".....I E travel trailer.....I have to put in the huge hitch, that I remove so I dont bust a shin,when not towing...then try to match up hitch,and ball, which you cant see,so,many tries to get in right spot,even with spotter....get right height, crank down...power or manual,then wrestle with weight bars, but some also use equalizing/sway bars.....set them for proper hieght,weight,level

Your post gets a bit dramatic for hitching a TT. Sure, if you are hitching that one TT for a single pull, then switching to a different TT for a different pull, yes, adjustments are made. But those same adjustments are not made every time on the same TT.

:S
I love me some land yachting

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
parsonwalker wrote:
Slownsy wrote:
Sorry but I don't get wher a lot of strength is neded for hoking op a FW, al that is kneaded is pulling a handle and pushing a button for leveling, they do have more steps to climb.

Whenever a man tells you it's easy and doesn't take any strength, just remember, they are men and naturally have more strength than a woman. Can their mother or grandmother do it? Probably not, and neither can I. A man 6'0", weighing 225 lbs. has infinitely more strength than a woman 5'1", weighing 100 pounds.

:h

Leaving aside that "infinitely more strength" statement...

I believe the poster to whom you responded was pointing out that for most setups nowadays, there's little physical "work" involved in hitching/unhitching.

This is as it must necessarily be, lest the biggest market for such units would collapse, that being:
Aging men, many of whom have health problems severe enough to limit their physical strength to levels far below that of a 100 pound woman.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien