cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 8.1 crankshaft positioning sensor R&R by dearlership.

lone_ranger
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan recommended having the dealer replace the crank shaft positioning sensor. That makes sense to me. Is it a major job and what might it cost. Thanks in advance.
"HI HO SILVER" 2002 Silverado LT 2500HD XCAB SB 4X4
8.1L 5spd ALLISON 4.10 gears :B
PullRite 16K SUPERGLIDE w/SUPER RAILS
2004 HOL RMBLR Alumascape 30 SKS

LONE RANGER :C
14 REPLIES 14

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The computer is pretty sophisticated and as far as I know everything else should set a code that can be read with a scan tool. The way it was explained to me was that since the 8.1 has no distributor, the PCM relies on the crank sensor to know where the crankshaft is so it knows when to fire each spark plug. When the sensor doesn't read or sends an unusable signal, the PCM won't fire the plugs if it doesn't know where the crank is to avoid severe engine damage. So the instant that the PCM detects a crank sensor error it also shuts down to disable the ignition, and in the process interrupts the process of storing a code.

By the way, let us know if that solved the issues you were having with the truck randomly shutting down.

lone_ranger
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan, I had the crankshaft sensor replaced yesterday for $336. To your knowledge are there other issues that can cause engine failure without the "service engine soon" light turning on and entering a code in the system?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes there was but I believe the campaign ended in 2008. Another reason to have the dealer do the job, there are tricks to getting out a broken sensor but it's not an easy job...

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a recall on those IIRC. Run your VIN. A real problem if it breaks coming out.
Puma 30RKSS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nomadac wrote:
What is the problem when the crankshaft positioning sensor fails? I have a 2001 Model with 52,000 miles with no problems.

See this thread

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
That is in a terrible spot. Mine is on the front of the motor, just below the harmonic damper. 5 minute job. Changed it twice myself.

Seems like they planned well for failure on that one, apparently with good reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Nomadac wrote:
What is the problem when the crankshaft positioning sensor fails? I have a 2001 Model with 52,000 miles with no problems.

I think it's just a random failure. You will stop moving and not move again until it is replaced. I had it happen on a just few weeks old truck once.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is in a terrible spot. Mine is on the front of the motor, just below the harmonic damper. 5 minute job. Changed it twice myself.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

lone_ranger
Explorer
Explorer
that makes sense. I'm going to try to get it R&R today or this week and I'll post the results

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not heard of CPS being tested but it would be hard to do on an intermittent problem.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
i had one do this never was a code it ended up being the torque converter lockout.It got to where it would stall everytime at a low speed turn and at certain speeds

lone_ranger
Explorer
Explorer
This problem happened five times between Oct 26,17 and Nov 13, 17. I did change the batt term bolts with ones from chev parts dept because that was mentioned earlier. Thanks for the info. I bought the truck new and it only has 69,000 miles on it and in very good condition, so I don't mind the $250 price. Can the CSP sensor be tested anyway before or after it's replaced just to see if that is the ongoing problem.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was done in 2007, and if I recall I paid about $250. The sensor is easy to change, only one 10mm bolt holds it in. It's located on the back of the block, which makes it hard to get to. Here's a YouTube DIY video that will give you an idea of what's involved.