cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 Lance 811 Rebuild: Rig is Ready!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally got the Lance on the truck and drove it around some yesterday!

The HappiJac Qwik-Loads that came with the camper cleaned up nice! Polished them up and hopefully keeps the rust at bay. Really wanted a new set of Fast Guns but couldn't swallow that cost after laying out for the Torklift frame mounted tie downs. So a little 3/8" galvanized chain makes up the difference.

According to my measurements I needed to add some height so I put the camper on top of a pair of 2x10s in the truck bed. The 1-1/2" was just what I needed to give me good clearance over the roof lights and bed sides. I also laid a 2x4 on edge across the front of the bed, to space the camper 1-1/2" back from the front.

When I bought this truck the PO had added a "leveling kit" which is basically a 1-1/2" space that sits on top of the front coil springs, he needed this for clearance on the 325 tires that are technically too big for 8" rims. Looks bada$$ when it's empty but looks overloaded with a load on it. I can't lose the spacers without going to smaller tires, so that will be a next year project.

The new umbilical cord worked out good too. It does drop the charging lines from #8 to #10, but since I swapped the 3-way fridge for a 2-way, that hi amp capacity is no longer needed. I have 100w solar helping to keep the battery up.

Open to to any comments and suggestions, and I can post more pics if you want to see something specific. This has been a great project and appreciate the help from everyone here!

I still need to buff out the original fiberglass remaining on the slide out and back walls and get some kind of graphics on it. For now I'm excited to go somewhere next weekend! Need to get at least one trip in before the winter!
11 REPLIES 11

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Looks awesome. Good on you.

There's just something cool about truck campers.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Catskills are beautiful! Can't get away this weekend but looking for somewhere to go on a maiden voyage next weekend.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on finishing your project, looking good. Two weeks back, the western Catskills, were just showing some nice color change, if that's your thing.

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome work! I wish you had made my camper.

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mighty fine looking camper! Enjoy her on the maiden voyage!
โ€œItโ€™s all in the reflexes.โ€
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats! Look great!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a good looking rig!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good eye...actually the umbilical is pinched between the floor and the 2x10. That part of the floor is sheet metal that that goes under the holding tanks. What you are seeing under the access door to the dump valves is a removable piece that enables you to connect the dump hose. Having the cord pinched in there pushed that sheet metal out of alignment somewhat. I can tell you the floor is solid because I replaced that section under the door!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Nice work Burb Man!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you are happy with your set up! In your third picture, it appears that the floor is coming apart on the left side. I would question your use of just two 2x6's instead of supporting the camper floor evenly (Thinking plywood platform or rubber horse mat)